Tournament affected by the corona virus?

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012
NBA suspending the season seems like an overreaction, but there are smarter folks than me.

Goop

Top Member
Nov 27, 2010
Man this is nuts. Our group canceled our plans late this afternoon when it became evident that the A10 was heading in the “no fans” direction.

May 1, 2009
NBA suspending the season seems like an overreaction, but there are smarter folks than me.
It may just be for 2-3 weeks to see if anyone else is infected. Remember that these players spend hours a day touching each other in basketball practice and then go to an arena and play others for two hours handing the basketball and banging with the opposition on the court. It's not like walking into an office and hanging out in your cubicle

Reactions: rskills

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012
It may just be for 2-3 weeks to see if anyone else is infected. Remember that these players spend hours a day touching each other in basketball practice and then go to an arena and play others for two hours handing the basketball and banging with the opposition on the court. It's not like walking into an office and hanging out in your cubicle
I don't disagree, and to suspend game for a couple weeks might be the reasonable response. Not sure I would be there yet.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
I think when the first player tests positive, that may occur.
That's the big distinction right now. The NBA had a player test positive; they HAD to stop things as quickly as possible because he interacted with hundreds of other people while infected, and the longer you keep playing, the more likely those people who may be infected from him can spread it to others. They had to put the brakes on immediately while figuring out the longer-term moves. Anything else would have been negligent.

Right now the colleges don't have that problem, so they can ban fans as a preemptive strike. The minute a player gets it, as you point out, expect them to follow the NBA's lead because preemptive won't be sufficient any longer.

Reactions: rvaram