Tournament affected by the corona virus?

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I think when the first player tests positive, that may occur.
The NBA just suspended their season. The Miami Open was canceled tonight. Thirty day ban on travel from Europe. NCAA Tournament will go anytime now.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
That's the big distinction right now. The NBA had a player test positive; they HAD to stop things as quickly as possible because he interacted with hundreds of other people while infected, and the longer you keep playing, the more likely those people who may be infected from him can spread it to others. They had to put the brakes on immediately while figuring out the longer-term moves. Anything else would have been negligent.

Right now the colleges don't have that problem, so they can ban fans as a preemptive strike. The minute a player gets it, as you point out, expect them to follow the NBA's lead because preemptive won't be sufficient any longer.
They're going to have a problem with state and local governments where the games are being played. If they tell them they should shut it down, they'll shut it down. That's what happened with the Indian Wells tennis tournament.

Reactions: MobileMunchies

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
It does seem like we're probably just a week or two behind Italy. This is scary stuff but then to think of the economic repercussions is a bit unnerving too.
Should have “Shorted” half my 401k last week. Dr Berry would have agreed with my plan.

Reactions: rvaram

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
so at this point seems like the NCAA will just be flat out cancelling the tournament (I think logistics would make it difficult to push the whole thing back a month or more). So with that being said I wonder if they even release a bracket this year.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
While not basketball.... this whole virus thing... imagine how it’s going to affect college kids pro days who are getting ready for the NFL Draft next month.....

some people’s stocks are gonna take a big hit because of this.

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012
What’s happening in Italy is terrifying. This has to be taken as seriously as a disease can be taken. More people died from the Spanish flu than died in World War 1. Who wants to be the person that didn’t take the precautions that were necessary in a situation like this?
So what is the precaution? Everyone stays home for a couple months?

Also, how does this compare to the overblown swine flu?

Aug 7, 2012
So what is the precaution? Everyone stays home for a couple months?

Also, how does this compare to the overblown swine flu?
Somewhere between 150-500,000 people died during that “overblown” event.

This disease has somewhere between 10-30 times the mortality rate.

poop is happening in real time.

Reactions: SpiderRAM