Tournament affected by the corona virus?

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012
So a fatality rate of .01 - .08%? I can move the numbers around too...that's extremely low for what the reaction was considering an estimated 1 billion contracted it.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
So a fatality rate of .01 - .08%? I can move the numbers around too...that's extremely low for what the reaction was considering an estimated 1 billion contracted it.
I'm not worried I'm going to die from this although being sick for 10 days isn't my idea of a fun time. However I am concerned that I could give this to an old person and they have a far greater chance of becoming seriously ill or dying.

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012
I'm not worried I'm going to die from this although being sick for 10 days isn't my idea of a fun time. However I am concerned that I could give this to an old person and they have a far greater chance of becoming seriously ill or dying.
Again, I don't disagree. I just though a shutdown was a bit extreme given where we are. But also, I admitted I'm not very smart.

Aug 7, 2012
Seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate.

Covid-19 is somewhere between 1-3%. In Italy, it might be even higher.

The Senate was apparently told today that 70-150 million Americans may contract this. Germany expects two-thirds of its population to contract it.

That is potentially millions of deaths in this country. It might not happen, but there is no way you can’t take maximum precautions when the worst case scenario is so awful.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Exactly this.

Reactions: BracketForecast
Aug 7, 2012
12k people died from Swine Flu. This has been addressed much faster and broadly.
12k died in the US. It was between 150-500k worldwide.

Covid-19 looks like it might be a much worse disease. It spreads easier, we have zero built in immunity, and it has a higher mortality rate.

Reactions: connell

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012
Seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate.

Covid-19 is somewhere between 1-3%. In Italy, it might be even higher.

The Senate was apparently told today that 70-150 million Americans may contract this. Germany expects two-thirds of its population to contract it.

That is potentially millions of deaths in this country. It might not happen, but there is no way you can’t take maximum precautions when the worst case scenario is so awful.
So based on projections it doesn't compare to the overblown swine flu...even though you acted like it did (.08% vs. 1-3%). I can't recall what the reaction to the swine flu was back in 2009, but I would wager it's pretty in-line with what I'm seeing/hearing now.

Aug 7, 2012
So based on projections it doesn't compare to the overblown swine flu...even though you acted like it did (.08% vs. 1-3%). I can't recall what the reaction to the swine flu was back in 2009, but I would wager it's pretty in-line with what I'm seeing/hearing now.
1-3% is more than .08%.

WTF are you talking about.

Dec 5, 2013
Somewhere between 150-500,000 people died during that “overblown” event.

This disease has somewhere between 10-30 times the mortality rate.

poop is happening in real time.
It only has that much because minor cases aren't being reported and testing isn't widely available yet. It's probably going to drop significantly soon.