Tournament affected by the corona virus?

May 1, 2009
What’s happening in Italy is terrifying. This has to be taken as seriously as a disease can be taken. More people died from the Spanish flu than died in World War 1. Who wants to be the person that didn’t take the precautions that were necessary in a situation like this?
The president?
Ohhh....you were being rhetorical! Sorry about that :)
And sorry, I just couldn't resist. No more presidential political comments on this topic, I promise. Although the tourist option is still available in the UK ya'll....with one of the highest infection numbers outside Italy. The rest of Europe, not so much.
K' done now for real....I think :)

May 1, 2009
Seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate.

Covid-19 is somewhere between 1-3%. In Italy, it might be even higher.

The Senate was apparently told today that 70-150 million Americans may contract this. Germany expects two-thirds of its population to contract it.

That is potentially millions of deaths in this country. It might not happen, but there is no way you can’t take maximum precautions when the worst case scenario is so awful.
I agree with this. Rates could actually be higher if the healthcare system become inundated with people. The number of hospitals/hospital beds in your city may at first seem high if you just look at it. But if a major health crisis comes along, like widespread infections, it could swamp the system pretty darn quick. Saw that in Wuhan and now in Italy. Plus those with other health issues that need hospitalization might have to wait or go untreated which could cause more deaths. Hopefully it won't get that far at least on a multicity type of effect.

Another thing I thought of - most cities have only one major grocery chain with a couple of smaller chains/limited store number and a walmart. If the distribution center of a large chain gets hit with COVID-19, it could cause a real disaster. Store shelves would empty, there would be runs on food, etc. It make take a week or so to reroute food from a different distribution location.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Based on the trend over the last week, we are on track to have 5 million cases in a month in the US. And that's based on the known number of just over 1,000 now.

If the fatality rate is 2%, that's 100,000 dead. Again, that's with the official number of cases currently, which we know is real number is much, much higher. That's roughly 2,500ish in Virginia and around 300 in the Richmond area. Again, that's just a month or so from now.

That doesn't take into account all of the people in the region that will need critical care. @vcuheel knows better than I do, but in that scenario, wouldn't that number be at least 1,000? Do we have 1k ICU beds in the region?

@VCU Heel

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: rvaram

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
As it stands right now, the band, cheer, and dance team will be at the game today, immediately after the game we will be heading back to Richmond.

Unfortunately, the extra band members we brought, as well as the rowdy rams will be leaving for home in the morning...

Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned before, VCU is extending spring break for a week as they try and figure out the logistics of holding classes online...

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
As it stands right now, the band, cheer, and dance team will be at the game today, immediately after the game we will be heading back to Richmond.

Unfortunately, the extra band members we brought, as well as the rowdy rams will be leaving for home in the morning...

Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned before, VCU is extending spring break for a week as they try and figure out the logistics of holding classes online...
Y’all coming back even if we win today?

Feb 3, 2011
I work at the hospital and with some of the top doctors here. I will say we need to take it seriously and take the precautions needed(think we started too late). However if you do not have any serious health conditions or over the age of 60 you WILL BE FINE. Some people may have had it and got over it and not even known. I will say the one scary thing about it is how contagious it is and how easy it can spread. Luckily kids have very strong immune systems and it hasn't affected them. If this was as deadly to kids as the elderly, we would have WW3 chaos going on out there. Be safe, wash your hands, and stay out of large crowds.

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
12k died in the US. It was between 150-500k worldwide.

Covid-19 looks like it might be a much worse disease. It spreads easier, we have zero built in immunity, and it has a higher mortality rate.
Agree with everything you cite. I should have said in the US because that was in my head. My whole point was that with everything known and unknown, it is good we are acting more widespread.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I'm going to look for late summer flights on the cheap to Ireland. Bet I can get some deals. Good can come from things like this if you dig for it.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
i thought of a couple of factors that never seems to be mentioned in these transmission and mortality rates.

Population Density and Cultural/Customary practices:

1. The Western part of the EU is approximately the same population as the united states in the 1/3 or 1/2 space with open borders between countries. Easier transmission.

2. Most Mediterranean/Latin American countries customarily are more demonstrative in their salutionary customs. (e.g. Latin Americans, Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians, the French) great each other and say good bye by kissing each other on both cheeks. Easier transmission. Probably hard to break those customs.

Note: Before some one says I am stereotyping, I am a Latin American married to an Italian so I know. Both of our families pretty much greet each other in the same way.

Reactions: 757RamFan

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
good morning and welcome to the VCUCoronaNation forums!

by the way, are they playing one of those basket ball games today or something?