Recruiting Transfer Market

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
So... does that mean we could potentially get Simms, DJ, Evans, Crowfield and Vann back if they wanted to play? That would be some crazy poop.

Reactions: N Mollen

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
So... does that mean we could potentially get Simms, DJ, Evans, Crowfield and Vann back if they wanted to play? That would be some crazy poop.
Honestly this whole thing makes no sense. It also would give some teams an enormous advantage -- a 18 person roster vs 13, in the age of Covid, would be decidedly an advantage if kids start testing positive.

Also, imagine if you were a freshman or soph on this year's team and Simms, DJ, Evans, Crowfield and/or Vann walked back in the gym. Might cause a real revolt

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
No you have to play this season to get the extra year.This does create some interesting scenarios around recruiting. Hypothetically let’s say Levi or Corey has a monster year and we don’t get a stud big. Do we keep them another year? one of the biggest questions i see around grad transfers is how do you get a masters in 1 year. Does MSS play two years at TTech? This changes quite a few things

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
No you have to play this season to get the extra year.This does create some interesting scenarios around recruiting. Hypothetically let’s say Levi or Corey has a monster year and we don’t get a stud big. Do we keep them another year? one of the biggest questions i see around grad transfers is how do you get a masters in 1 year. Does MSS play two years at TTech? This changes quite a few things

How many current/previous grad transfers actually get graduate degrees? These kids are just "hanging out" in grad school until their eligibility expires.

Reactions: mike7842

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
How many current/previous grad transfers actually get graduate degrees? These kids are just "hanging out" in grad school until their eligibility expires.
I 100% agree. Part of it is they are hanging out and part of it is only 1 year is paid. Based on the statement from the council, that shouldn't be an issue for currently enrolled students playing basketball. Instead for 5 to complete 4, this rule will give them 6 to complete 5

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I 100% agree. Part of it is they are hanging out and part of it is only 1 year is paid. Based on the statement from the council, that shouldn't be an issue for currently enrolled students playing basketball. Instead for 5 to complete 4, this rule will give them 6 to complete 5

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided.

Sounds like to me the NCAA is hedging their bets in case they can't pull off a complete season of basketball.

Reactions: TampaKAP