Recruiting Transfer Market

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
That is obvious and isn't the point being made. The point is a high level transfer isn't going to put themselves in a situation where there will be significant competition for minutes. With or without Bones, VCU will have a lot of guys capable of playing the 2 guard. Most transfers are trying to get out of such situations.
Huh? For something so obvious, I think you're still not getting it. If a high-level recruit wanted to come to VCU, they wouldn't see Banks, Curry, McAllister as "significant competition" for minutes. I don't mean that as a dig, but there are established players in the portal and players with more upside.

Also, if players were terrified of competing with other top players for minutes, you would t see Duke, Kentucky, etc. land the majority of 5*s year in and out.

Reactions: N Mollen

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Something to think about and I have no background knowledge. My guess is that 2 of the 3 below will not come back.

Banks is going to command more minutes and both Curry and McCallister.
I would be shocked if it were more than one unless they are asked not to come back, which I doubt at this point. Case in point, Bolton wanted to stay at ISU but was basically asked not to come back or told no spot was available for him. Now that could be thy didn’t want to find the extra a scholly or something else

Reactions: G-Man

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I would be shocked if it were more than one unless they are asked not to come back, which I doubt at this point. Case in point, Bolton wanted to stay at ISU but was basically asked not to come back or told no spot was available for him. Now that could be thy didn’t want to find the extra a scholly or something else
I don't see any of those three asked not to come back, but I am not on the coaching staff and have zero inside info. Just looks like there is a place for all three and these are Rhoads' guys now. They fit the mold.
But if we get a big time transfer coming in that could easily change. A one year Bolton might not a be a problem, they could see through that to the next year, but a 2 or 3 year transfer might prompt movement. A bridge to cross when/if we get there. If Bones goes NBA, we are going to need 2 guard scoring and 1 guard back up. Getting that from one guy would be great.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Just saw that Brent Scott was following Jeannie Buss, owner of the Lakers. LeBron coming back to college and coming to VCU? Absolutely not, but with how incredibly secretive our staff is, maybe. These kids just commit all the time to our program and absolutely nobody knows they even exist ahead of time. Either way, what's important is we keep an eye on every person Brent Scott follows on Twitter.

Ramwitch

Top Member
Dec 2, 2014
Just saw that Brent Scott was following Jeannie Buss, owner of the Lakers. LeBron coming back to college and coming to VCU? Absolutely not, but with how incredibly secretive our staff is, maybe. These kids just commit all the time to our program and absolutely nobody knows they even exist ahead of time. Either way, what's important is we keep an eye on every person Brent Scott follows on Twitter.
Idk if we want Lebron. No chip on his shoulder

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I mean, we never offered him out of HS, so . . .

Reactions: Violet Ram

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Lebron isnt coming. We're loaded at the forward spot, and he wouldn't want to have to compete for minutes.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Lebron isnt coming. We're loaded at the forward spot, and he wouldn't want to have to compete for minutes.
Still, he'd be a real "on the down" recruit. Did you know when he was about 18 years old, he spent one night in NYC, and because he accepted a Cleveland jersey from some guy all his offers were immediately non committable?

Now, we haven't offered. But Brent Scott follows someone he knows, and that just has to mean something.

Reactions: RamDanFan

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Still, he'd be a real "on the down" recruit. Did you know when he was about 18 years old, he spent one night in NYC, and because he accepted a Cleveland jersey from some guy all his offers were immediately non committable?

Now, we haven't offered. But Brent Scott follows someone he knows, and that just has to mean something.
I'm hoping we can get a kid from Varina. Haven't had a kid from Varina in a while.

Reactions: mrgeode