Recruiting Transfer Market

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
As for the Byrd scholly, we’d do well to put it in our back pocket, let it marinate, allow awareness of the scholly to circulate thru the recruiting circles. It could give some kids reason for pause, reconsideration, re-evaluation.
I know you're not necessarily suggesting holding onto the scholly long-term, but I have seen others suggest it. In general, anyone who entertains the notion of saving a scholly is identifying themselves as ignorant to college basketball and VCU in particular. We have at least 5 scholarships opening up next year. Saving an additional scholarship for next year is madness. Pocketing that scholarship for two additional seasons is even crazier. Scholarships are one year agreements. Yes, some of you here would prefer them to be 4 year commitments. But they're not (at least not yet).

It's always better to give a scholly that opens up this late, even if it's on a 'flyer'. Not to raise the stars debate, but you never know how a prospect may develop. If you have an open scholarship, it's okay to burn it for a season on a chance. What we as a fanbase need to understand, is that not every vcu-signee will spend 4 years at VCU and not every player will get significant burn. We can still support our players both as athletes and people while recognizing the situation.

Last edited:

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
So is this where the next big news will come from.....seems extremely likely that MR and Staff are gonna fill PJ's schollie with a GT/Play immediately kind of kid of the PG variety.

All you keyboard warriors need to get out there with your drag nets and get us some info!!
Seems to me that the ideal scenario is a solid JUCO point guard. Back up Evans this year, and provide a solid Plan A in 2020 while Ace makes the transition to D1 speed.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So is this where the next big news will come from.....seems extremely likely that MR and Staff are gonna fill PJ's schollie with a GT/Play immediately kind of kid of the PG variety.

All you keyboard warriors need to get out there with your drag nets and get us some info!!
I think Coach Rhoades and staff will go with the best player they can find, regardless of class level. A graduate transfer only increase next year's recruiting class to 6, which is too many in my opinion. A solid JUCO would be optimal from a class balancing standpoint. If it is a freshman, I would prefer it be another big, based on what's coming in this summer and with Baldwin already committed in 2020. Just have to make sure, whomever it is, is not another Jackson, Maye, Big Lew or Byrd when it comes to talent level.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I know you're not necessarily suggesting holding onto the scholly long-term, but I have seen others suggest it. In general, anyone who entertains the notion of saving a scholly is identifying themselves as ignorant to college basketball and VCU in particular. We have at least 5 scholarships opening up next year. Saving an additional scholarship for next year is madness. Pocketing that scholarship for two additional seasons is even crazier. Scholarships are one year agreements. Yes, some of you here would prefer them to be 4 year commitments. But they're not (at least not yet).

It's always better to give a scholly that opens up this late, even if it's on a 'flyer'. Not to raise the stars debate, but you never know how a prospect may develop. If you have an open scholarship, it's okay to burn it for a season on a chance. What we as a fanbase need to understand, is that not every vcu-signee will spend 4 years at VCU and not every player will get significant burn. We can still support our players both as athletes and people while recognizing the situation.
Schools can offer 4 year scholarships and many do. I couldn't find anything on VCU's approach in a very brief search

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Schools can offer 4 year scholarships and many do. I couldn't find anything on VCU's approach in a very brief search
I don't think VCU offers 4 year scholarships at this point. I do know that the P5 conferences voted for the creation of 4 year scholarships. Below is a link to an article related to 4 year scholarships.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I don't think VCU offers 4 year scholarships at this point. I do know that the P5 conferences voted for the creation of 4 year scholarships. Below is a link to an article related to 4 year scholarships.

If Fordham is giving them, I suspect VCU is as well

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

Considering that we were hoping for PJ to provide additional depth at PG, yes, very much so. The idea of keeping this scholly in our back pocket and not using it is somewhere between foolish and outright idiotic. This is a situation where picking up a grad or JUCO transfer who can play immediately is ideal. I really don't want us to have to be in a situation where we're having to play Marcus Evans for 36-40 minutes a game like we did with JeQuan Lewis for much of his senior season. We absolutely need that extra depth.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If Fordham is giving them, I suspect VCU is as well

Below is from a previous post of mine.

– It is still possible for universities to cancel or choose to not renew a scholarship for reasons that are NOT related to athletic performance.

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:

• Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).
Despite this rule, there will still be some Division I coaches who want to take away the scholarship of an athlete who is not performing as well as the coach anticipated during the recruiting process.

Based on the above criteria, I would not think VCU is offering 4 year scholarships. If they were, PJ would probably still be on the team and I also can't see Coach Rhoades going against the new rules and dismissing PJ from the team.

BillD2007

Top Member
Jan 17, 2013
Chowan also sits in the middle of a tiny town in deep rural North Carolina. Our family farm is about ten miles from there, on the NC/VA border. Iirc, didn't it become a four year like 5-6 years ago? Either way, if a coach doesn't renew the scholarship then 9 times out of 10 they have someone lined up to get it. I know it's cold but the business is cold and uncaring. It's a 'what have you do for me today' kind of thing. Just look at this message board and you'll see that. And it's almost all fan groups that are like that. To be honest, trying to keep the customer happy (fans) kind of leads to this kind of stuff. The rest are either disciplinary reasons or a coach realizing he/she made a mistake on someone. Can't say I agree with it, and saw it about 5 times in my time in athletics...but it's been going on for years at all schools. Not just a PJ or VCU thing, unfortunately.

BillD2007

Top Member
Jan 17, 2013
Below is from a previous post of mine.

– It is still possible for universities to cancel or choose to not renew a scholarship for reasons that are NOT related to athletic performance.

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:

• Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).
Despite this rule, there will still be some Division I coaches who want to take away the scholarship of an athlete who is not performing as well as the coach anticipated during the recruiting process.

Based on the above criteria, I would not think VCU is offering 4 year scholarships. If they were, PJ would probably still be on the team and I also can't see Coach Rhoades going against the new rules and dismissing PJ from the team.
Until recently, no school did a true "four year" scholarship. As we know, they're one year renewable. Basketball's are around this time of your-which is why the transfer market. Football's is Feb, which explains theirs. Not sure how I feel about moving to four year at one time. That would make it difficult to remove trouble makers too. To be honest, I'm of two minds on this, having seen behind the scenes.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I don't think a 1 year or a 4 year changes much for the approach. Taking PJ's mothers word at face value, the staff did not take or say they were not renewing his scholly. It was suggested he transferred and he did. Guaranteeing a scholarship for 4 years only guarantees your classes are paid for but almost no competitive athlete wants to sit on the bench and not play for multiple years

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Until recently, no school did a true "four year" scholarship. As we know, they're one year renewable. Basketball's are around this time of your-which is why the transfer market. Football's is Feb, which explains theirs. Not sure how I feel about moving to four year at one time. That would make it difficult to remove trouble makers too. To be honest, I'm of two minds on this, having seen behind the scenes.
Any kid being recruited has to know there is a possibility of the scholarship being pulled. Why else would there be one year renewable scholarships if it wasn't intended to be an avenue for coaches to get rid of players that aren't performing? And also for players to be able to leave the program. It's the nature of the "business", and has been that way for many years.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I don't think a 1 year or a 4 year changes much for the approach. Taking PJ's mothers word at face value, the staff did not take or say they were not renewing his scholly. It was suggested he transferred and he did. Guaranteeing a scholarship for 4 years only guarantees your classes are paid for but almost no competitive athlete wants to sit on the bench and not play for multiple years
I agree. Telling a player that their future playing time is going to be minimal vs. outright not renewing a scholarship are two completely separate issues. Mike Rhoades didn't take Xavier Jackson's scholarship away from him last summer. And Xavier was nailed to the bench the second half of his junior season and all of his senior season. Coach Rhoades honored the scholarship, which tells me there is way more to the PJ Byrd story than any of us know. And, Coach Rhoades does not owe any of us an explanation either.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Considering that we were hoping for PJ to provide additional depth at PG, yes, very much so. The idea of keeping this scholly in our back pocket and not using it is somewhere between foolish and outright idiotic. This is a situation where picking up a grad or JUCO transfer who can play immediately is ideal. I really don't want us to have to be in a situation where we're having to play Marcus Evans for 36-40 minutes a game like we did with JeQuan Lewis for much of his senior season. We absolutely need that extra depth.
2019-2020 PG:
Sr Evans = 28-30 minutes
Fr Clark = 6-10 minutes
Sr Crowfield = as needed (depending on Clark effectiveness, injuries, foul trouble, opponent/game circumstances)
So Curry = as needed
Fr Henderson (walk on) = as needed; mop-up time (last 1-2 minutes of blowouts - like walk-ons Burston, Coward, DSG, etc); maybe not, though, w/ the advent of NET

2020-21 PG:
Fr Baldwin = TBD minutes
So Clark = TBD minutes