Recruiting Transfer Market

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Good position for Coleman. They lost their major forward in Emanuel Miller and basically have no other forward getting more points than Coleman got this past year....about 1-2 ppg. So basically he is there competing for a wide open spot with no other players ahead of him.
That said, they did have 9 players leave for the portal this year and only have 3 new players entering to Texas a&m from the portal. Only 3 HS players currently signed and of that, only 1 is a forward, 3 star, 77 on espn. This looks to be a rebuilding year for them after finishing the season at 8-10 this past season.
But this should give him a real chance to show what he is made of....regardless of how well A&M does this coming season. But it is probably very likely they won't go to post season in 21-22. They have a lot of work to do.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Good position for Coleman. They lost their major forward in Emanuel Miller and basically have no other forward getting more points than Coleman got this past year....about 1-2 ppg. So basically he is there competing for a wide open spot with no other players ahead of him.
That said, they did have 9 players leave for the portal this year and only have 3 new players entering to Texas a&m from the portal. Only 3 HS players currently signed and of that, only 1 is a forward, 3 star, 77 on espn. This looks to be a rebuilding year for them after finishing the season at 8-10 this past season.
But this should give him a real chance to show what he is made of....regardless of how well A&M does this coming season. But it is probably very likely they won't go to post season in 21-22. They have a lot of work to do.
A lot of people gave me crap for suggesting Coleman would not end up here. He’ll definitely do well at A&M.

Reactions: RAMification

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
We didn't have a spot for him. For real. Staff likes the roster it has.
I agree. Unless someone were to suddenly exit the program the roster is set. The coaches love this roster. Top to bottom there is likely unprecedented talent here. I like Henry a lot but he is the classic tweener. He is kind of like a man without a country. This is especially the case at the P5 level. I was astonished when Duke took him. It was obvious from the get go that it would not work and they would recruit over him which they did almost immediately. Paolo Banchero is the top PF in this class and likely the number one recruit overall. It's a shame things like this happen.

I think Henry made a good choice albeit still a bit of a reach. The extra year should give him an opportunity to work on his perimeter game and become a factor. He's a great kid and hard worker. That's always in your favor.

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
I agree. Unless someone were to suddenly exit the program the roster is set. The coaches love this roster. Top to bottom there is likely unprecedented talent here. I like Henry a lot but he is the classic tweener. He is kind of like a man without a country. This is especially the case at the P5 level. I was astonished when Duke took him. It was obvious from the get go that it would not work and they would recruit over him which they did almost immediately. Paolo Banchero is the top PF in this class and likely the number one recruit overall. It's a shame things like this happen.

I think Henry made a good choice albeit still a bit of a reach. The extra year should give him an opportunity to work on his perimeter game and become a factor. He's a great kid and hard worker. That's always in your favor.

There is no extra year. He's eligible right away under the new rules.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009

Agree.....unless Texas AM brings in a major point getter at his position, he starts out on a level playing field with all the other forwards currently on the team. How he turns out/playing time/scoring/etc will give him an indication of his actual level of play at the college level.
And I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have taken him....nothing at all to do with us. But it always amazes me that there are players who opt to go with the top dog P5 (over other programs including MM) and then end up sitting at the end of the bench with little to no playing time and then turn around at the end of the year, enter the portal, and then opt for another P5 program (albeit one at the middle to bottom of the P5 conference). I mean, how many times to you have to slam your head into a wall. But in Coleman's case, he's not walking into a position with major players in front of him, it is late in the season to be able to sign a super major HS player, and most of the major point scorers in the portal have already been scarfed up.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
Guessing he will maybe downshift in conferences to find a nice playing time/competition fit? If not, when is the last time a former VCU player ended up on a rival conference team

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guessing he will maybe downshift in conferences to find a nice playing time/competition fit? If not, when is the last time a former VCU player ended up on a rival conference team
Interestingly from what I can find, PJ was likely to see more minutes next year as CSU’s backup PG, but CSU picked up a PG transfer from Loyola Chicago earlier this week. That transfer pickup pretty much doomed his chances of seeing significant minutes.

• Sad
Reactions: DisplacedRam