Transferred out advanced numbers

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Looking at some numbers this morning and wanted to post on a bit of an interesting note...

Offensive ratings of transfers (2018-19 team rank)
Mobley 91.2 (10th)
PJ Byrd 71.1 (12th)

Overall box +/- (2018-19 team rank)
Mobley +1.7 (9th)
PJ Byrd -5.6 (14th)

Love those guys and I really believe in Sean's longterm potential still if he really works hard at UCF, but realistically, statistically VCU has a good shot to improve efficiency based on filling in those newly-available minutes with more minutes from more efficient guys. Corey was second on the team in overall box +/- but averaged just 14.2 minutes per game. Similarly, MSS looked amazing last season and averaged 22.2 minutes. Same for Vince. Ranked fourth overall in overall box +/- but averaged just 15.5 minutes. Just more PT out of more efficient players should make things scary for the rest of the A-10. Then add in what I think is a legit backup PG (and potential future star) in Bones and I think this year's team has a chance to look reeeeeeally good.

May 4, 2012
No question Hyland is an upgrade and Ward is better suited to the sort of play Rhoades is after.
But just as sure is that both will perform better in more appropriate settings.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I love Sean, PJ, Mike, and X but they didn't exactly fill up the stat sheet. We can make up for what we lost through increased mins/production of our returning players. Anything we can get out of the incoming players is just gravy/insurance in case of injuries. It looks like we have several guys that will be ready to contribute on day 1 however. I think we would be fine with just the returning players, but we are going to win some games this season because of contributions of the freshmen.

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The freshmen will have opportunities and if they are in the game with 4 returning starters they will have to the chance to just do their job and make an impact

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
The freshmen will have opportunities and if they are in the game with 4 returning starters they will have to the chance to just do their job and make an impact
Yes. Incredible isn't it? The floor is high and the ceiling is Sistine!