Tre Clark signs with VCU

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
LOL it’s awesome when a mid-major has the best player on the floor even when playing a P5 program with all the advantages. That was Murray State with JA Morant this year.

I don’t know anything about how Tre Clark compares to a guy like JA Morant ceiling-wise, but if he’s 1/4 of the player Morant is, we’ve got a good addition on our hands. In any case, looking forward to seeing how his career at VCU pans out.

Athleticism isn’t the sole litmus test for career trajectory, but it sure makes for hopeful prognostication. On the other hand I remember seeing a BallIsLife highlight video of Reco McCarter dunking over NC State commit and McDonald’s All-American C.J. Leslie on a fast break and thinking he’d be the next big thing at VCU. That was before he barely played as a freshman and ended up transferring to Campbell in the Big South.

Hope always springs eternal with unproven high school stars and prognostication is part of the fun of it. Here’s hoping Tre has a standout career here.
McCarter is exhibit 1 on why highlight videos should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Those videos mean absolutely nothing when it comes to how a kid’s playing career at a school will go. Those videos never show the mistakes that every player makes or the poor decision making. Most of the time, they show kids making plays against opponents, most of whom won’t be playing D-1 basketball.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
My understanding is that he didn't have a star rating assigned, but had some P5 schools looking at him including UVa, the National Champs. My guess is he flew in "under the radar", so to speak which tells me MR's knack for finding talent is superb.
He played on an incredibly stacked high school team, where at least 3, and perhaps 4, kids went on to play D-1 basketball, most at P6 schools, I believe. Once he finally became the man on his team, his talent attracted interest from other P6 schools.

One thing I like is this: apparently he worked on his game, played his role and waited for his turn in high school. That shows an impressive level of patience and maturity for a high school kid. Never know for certain, but I think this kid will be a very good player for us. Given who he played with in high school, it is possible he may be ready to play more than most freshmen.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
McCarter is exhibit 1 on why highlight videos should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Those videos mean absolutely nothing when it comes to how a kid’s playing career at a school will go. Those videos never show the mistakes that every player makes or the poor decision making. Most of the time, they show kids making plays against opponents, most of whom won’t be playing D-1 basketball.
I am not *quite* there with you. No doubt you are right that every highlight video has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is always very difficult to tell how a player will perform over the long run based on snippets of the very best moments someone has had, often against low level competition. A mashup of highlights won't tell you if a kid has a habit of dogging it on defense, or if he shot 3-14 in the game where he hit that pretty up-and-under move you see. Obviously, you can't tell from a highlight video if the kid has a burning desire to get better or thinks of himself as a finished product already.

But you can tell if a kid has twitch, and you can tell if he can jump -- the first time and the second. You can sometimes tell a little about his court vision. If you like what you see in these areas, even on a highlight video, it checks a few boxes. It can't be the primary basis for a worthwhile scout.

Anyway, I've watched Tre in a couple of full HS games against other teams dotted with D1 talent. As I have said elsewhere, the kid has real skills. He can shoot, and he can run and he can jump. These are positive attributes in a basketball player. He seems to be well-liked by his teammates (tells me he likely isn't a prima donna). He also is prone to playing an all-or-none style of defense, going for steals he has no hope of getting and then just spectating when he gets beat. THAT will need to change or he will find himself planted on the bench.

All in all, I have considerable hope for him. I also like the fact that we apparently snuck in and snagged him while UVa was on the way to offer (I've heard this story from multiple independent sources; UVa's head of recruiting and Brunt were at the same tournament, and the UVa guy called Bennett and told him to get down to the tournament right away to see and offer). If Bennett and crew thought he could be taught defense, that is a pretty good scout.

May 1, 2009
I believe there are full games with Tre. I watched one earlier this spring. So in addition to highlights, sometimes there are whole game archives that give a better look into a player's ability.

Reactions: Ramlove81

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I am not *quite* there with you. No doubt you are right that every highlight video has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is always very difficult to tell how a player will perform over the long run based on snippets of the very best moments someone has had, often against low level competition. A mashup of highlights won't tell you if a kid has a habit of dogging it on defense, or if he shot 3-14 in the game where he hit that pretty up-and-under move you see. Obviously, you can't tell from a highlight video if the kid has a burning desire to get better or thinks of himself as a finished product already.

But you can tell if a kid has twitch, and you can tell if he can jump -- the first time and the second. You can sometimes tell a little about his court vision. If you like what you see in these areas, even on a highlight video, it checks a few boxes. It can't be the primary basis for a worthwhile scout.

Anyway, I've watched Tre in a couple of full HS games against other teams dotted with D1 talent. As I have said elsewhere, the kid has real skills. He can shoot, and he can run and he can jump. These are positive attributes in a basketball player. He seems to be well-liked by his teammates (tells me he likely isn't a prima donna). He also is prone to playing an all-or-none style of defense, going for steals he has no hope of getting and then just spectating when he gets beat. THAT will need to change or he will find himself planted on the bench.

All in all, I have considerable hope for him. I also like the fact that we apparently snuck in and snagged him while UVa was on the way to offer (I've heard this story from multiple independent sources; UVa's head of recruiting and Brunt were at the same tournament, and the UVa guy called Bennett and told him to get down to the tournament right away to see and offer). If Bennett and crew thought he could be taught defense, that is a pretty good scout.
Yeah, I've watched a couple of full game clips of Tre too, one against the #1 team in Georgia. He is crazy athletic, as you can see from the short highlight video, shoots well, finsihes at the rim well, has some mid range game, has good handles, passes well (though he seems to prefer the spectacular pass to the easy one) and like Mollen said he goes for a lot of steals, whether he really has a chance at them or not. His effort on D is high for high school, his execution is sometimes lacking. The draw backs I saw in his game are absolutely correctable. His ceiling is very high. If he is willing to come in and do the work, wait his turn, I think he will be good for us, maybe very good.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2 and RamBo

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
He played on an incredibly stacked high school team, where at least 3, and perhaps 4, kids went on to play D-1 basketball, most at P6 schools, I believe. Once he finally became the man on his team, his talent attracted interest from other P6 schools.

One thing I like is this: apparently he worked on his game, played his role and waited for his turn in high school. That shows an impressive level of patience and maturity for a high school kid. Never know for certain, but I think this kid will be a very good player for us. Given who he played with in high school, it is possible he may be ready to play more than most freshmen.
The crazy thing is that if Ashton Hagens hadn’t reclassified to 2018, he may have ended up at Clayton State. Ashton himself has said that Tre is the best opponent he ever faced in HS.....they played on the same teams.

Reactions: rskills and RamBo