Treveon Graham Number To Be Retired: Ceremony On Jan. 22

PhantomRam

Elite Member
I have wondered why they don't hang the jerseys of the entire FF team. Clearly, no matter how well we think of ourselves (you know Gonzaga of east type stuff), our FF run was probably once in a century. Why not honor the whole team with the jerseys hanging beside the FF banner? Just my thought on the cold snowy evening.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Not all our final four jerseys otherwise the rafters will fill up soon in the future!

----------------
GO RAMS!
Beat?
Congrats Tre Graham!!

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Well said, 'Holic .... but Jabo falls into a completely unique category in which his No. 40 was actually retired (Feb. 21, 1971 by school administration) and then forgotten about. I don't know if there is a similar situation anywhere in sports history.
have you ever approached Mike directly about this? He seems to be a guy that really respects the history of the game—maybe he’d hear you out and give it some energy. Likely best for the offseason, but just a thought.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I have wondered why they don't hang the jerseys of the entire FF team. Clearly, no matter how well we think of ourselves (you know Gonzaga of east type stuff), our FF run was probably once in a century. Why not honor the whole team with the jerseys hanging beside the FF banner? Just my thought on the cold snowy evening.
Hopefully it is at least ”one every half century” thing…..I think I’m good for awhile, but not sure i have another 50 years.….need some hope.

rammad90

Elite Member
If any jersey number is to be retired, it should be Jabo Wilkins' No. 40 .... On Feb. 21, 1971, Jabo's number was retired by then AD/Coach Chuck Noe in a ceremony prior to his final home game at Franklin Street ... somehow that honor got lost in the shuffle with changing coaches, ADs, SIDs and facilities ..... oh yes, on the night his No. 40 was retired, Jabo lit up Virginia Union for ...... you guessed it, a cool 40.
I agree. We seem to forget some of the older guys who built the foundation of this program. I am aware that some may not have graduated. However, it was a different era back then.

Bodine, Jabo, Super Nard all should be given consideration as they were all more dominant and important to the programs success than many give them credit.

rammad90

Elite Member
Second all time in scoring, multi-year NBA player - what have you done for me lately?
The NBA designation shouldnt be considered. If so, Troy who never made an all conference team should be considered as he after Gerald is the most successful VCU NBA player.

rammad90

Elite Member
Not all our final four jerseys otherwise the rafters will fill up soon in the future!

----------------
GO RAMS!
Beat?
Congrats Tre Graham!!
Not all agreed. However, why not the a team Jersey similar to the one we put up for Trani? Trani is up there isnt he?

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
So many of those games for Treveon. He was so clutch.
I'll always remember fondly the Ice Bowl at LaSalle for Tre taking victory out of the jaws of defeat. Just an amazing afternoon to be at a game praying for a miracle. I thought that game was beyond lost at the 5 minute mark, but Tre just kept hammering. Best CBB game and single guy performance I've ever witnessed in person. and that's saying a lot having been witness to 40 years of VCU history.

Kind of like that idea, Phantom, but it would be just one jersey - saying 2011 .... incidentally, there is another Phantom in the area - The Church Hill Academy Phantoms, a small high school with a surprisingly talented basketball team. Only other Phantoms I know are Phoebus High Phantoms/Hampton.
I agree. We seem to forget some of the older guys who built the foundation of this program. I am aware that some may not have graduated. However, it was a different era back then.

Bodine, Jabo, Super Nard all should be given consideration as they were all more dominant and important to the programs success than many give them credit.

There absolutely was no "must graduate" stipulation on Feb. 21, 1971, when Jabo's No. 40 was retired in front of a full gymnasium while he was still an active student ...

The NBA designation shouldnt be considered. If so, Troy who never made an all conference team should be considered as he after Gerald is the most successful VCU NBA player.

Daniels, injured early in 2010-11, could have had an entire extra season if he hadn't dressed for 2011 NCAAs .... with another season, he would have been an A10 Player of Year candidate and his statistics would have soared on Rams' all-time lists.