Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Gonna move on from this before the UR game starts. I'm confident the guys have gotten the message by this point. Win or lose, let's play with heart and urgency until the NCAA says we're done for the year.

Go Rams!

Off the court, these are a great group of kids. And the on court performance is on the coach. There's no excuse for a team this talented to make the NIT. None. Total failure on the part of Mike Rhoades to recognize that Deuce is playing on two bad knees and still starting him over perhaps the best freshman in VCU history (which is another debate for another day). Total failure to not make in game adjustments. Total failure to right the ship when there was clearly something wrong after the Florida tournament.

I can understand missing the tournament in 2018 after what Will Wade left us. But to not get NCAA level production out of this group should warrant a performance review plan for MR in the off-season.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2013
There go your NCAA bid just like that...…..Rhodes is underachieving for a million dollar coach imo. A10 first team (Evans ), Honorable mention A10 (Jenkins), and Silva (top 4 player in A10 this yr)…..Mason dominate you at home, even though the score looks respectable. News flash...Next year team wont have all of these pieces! Long road ahead for VCU basketball. The Rhodes fan club can continue to hype him but he's an avg at best head coach. Richmond is licking their chops right now. The Spiders are getting better while VCU regressing ...no way anybody confident in VCU winning the next 2 games/getting an at large bid! 1 NCAA appearance in his career for a reason! The next few rebuild years for VCU basketball will be brutal unless Briante ,Mo, Daniels and Maynor comeback lol

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
There have also been no shortage of embarrassing losses and simply not enough quality wins. Beating Texas and LSU under Rhoades was very cathartic and outside of that a win against a decent Temple team. Other than that we've come up empty in big games

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Upsets happen, especially this season. Kentucky lost to Evansville. Duke lost to SFA. Charleston Southern, which might as well be a D2 this season, beat Missouri. Yeah, it stings in the moment and there's some legitimate concerns to digest, but I don't think a bad game has to extrapolate into a bad season or the end of an era of greatness or anything so dramatic. VCU beats Dayton and none of you guys are whispering a word about NIT, believe you me.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Upsets happen, especially this season. Kentucky lost to Evansville. Duke lost to SFA. Charleston Southern, which might as well be a D2 this season, beat Missouri. Yeah, it stings in the moment and there's some legitimate concerns to digest, but I don't think a bad game has to extrapolate into a bad season or the end of an era of greatness or anything so dramatic. VCU beats Dayton and none of you guys are whispering a word about NIT, believe you me.
We have a quad 4 loss. To overcome that we'd need to win out.

NowYou'reARam!

Top Member
Feb 12, 2014
Haven’t got any height (MSS is game, but short and limited) and haven’t got any shooters (that coach will put on the floor).

No vision in recruiting and no identity on the floor.

3 years in and the ship be sinking. But it’s a whole lot easier to tow her in than raise her off the bottom. Best be prepared to make a quick decision...

Jan 25, 2013
Both of those loses were at the beginning of season. Duke and Kentucky both got better and locked in for the NCAA tournament. No comparison

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
We have a quad 4 loss. To overcome that we'd need to win out.
That assumes that all the committee does is look at the NET like a seeding list. Obviously it's a bad loss but in the context of the season, people who both consider the numbers and their eyes should understand that it can be an aberration. If they suffer more bad losses, then yeah, it's panic time, but I don't think this is a disqualifying loss, and if they beat a top-6 Dayton, well, people have short memories and that's what will take the Mason loss's place there.

Jan 25, 2013
That assumes that all the committee does is look at the NET like a seeding list. Obviously it's a bad loss but in the context of the season, people who both consider the numbers and their eyes should understand that it can be an aberration. If they suffer more bad losses, then yeah, it's panic time, but I don't think this is a disqualifying loss, and if they beat a top-6 Dayton, well, people have short memories and that's what will take the Mason loss's place there.
You got to worry about Richmond before Dayton...Richmond won by 30 tonight ...

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
The eye test doesn't mean crap if your resume isn't good. No team with a Q4 loss and a below .500 Q1/2 record will make the tournament.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
You got to worry about Richmond before Dayton...Richmond won by 30 tonight ...
Well, yeah, of course; my point is that a win over what could be a top-5 team by them is a paint that covers a multitude of sins. You beat a national title contender in February, people notice.

Reactions: wavevcu