Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Arnold. He’s been around VCU ball his entire life. Maybe he can inspire his teammates with a view from a different angle. If it isn’t him, I like to see our Juniors (MSS and Douglas) step up and schedule the meeting.

Would really like to see DJ to step up, lay down the law and carry this team. Maybe he has, but based on play on both sides of the ball, he is the most credible candidate.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Arnold. He’s been around VCU ball his entire life. Maybe he can inspire his teammates with a view from a different angle. If it isn’t him, I like to see our Juniors (MSS and Douglas) step up and schedule the meeting.
Arnold is a walk-on freshman, so that's not going to happen. The horse has already left the barn for this team. There are only 7 regular season games left. Seniors are not going to change at this point and Coach Rhoades is going to continue to play them the same number of minutes. Bottom line - This team just doesn't have it in them to put 40 quality minutes together in the same game on a consistent basis. They have proven that all season long.

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
Several posters have commented that they thought Mike was out coached last night. I have to agree. That full court zone press was not instituted to steal the ball or even cause a 10 second violation. Paulsen just wanted to take us out of any offensive rhythm . It worked pretty well. We seldom put players in a position to attack the press and get 2 on 1 opportunities. It appears the only press offense we employ is to jack up threes ASAP . Our best chance to win was to get Wilson in foul trouble as he did in our previous game against them. BTW he is the type of player I hope Mike is able to recruit in the future. Can jump out of the gym, hit foul shots,has a good short game and can hit the occasional three ball. Coaches and players ALWAYS talk about taking games one at a time-- next game up. But I wonder with Richmond ( HUGE Rivalry ) and Dayton ( Top 5 team ) coming up if GM ( only 2 conference wins) was somewhat an afterthought.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Mike owned that...there is plenty of blame to spread around
A team that uses full court pressure was out witted by a team putting Faux' full court pressure on them ? Hmmmmmmmmmm. That semi fake press completely messed with the flow of VCU's game, and it was VCU 's own doing. They never tried to just blow thru the press, but instead slowed up, and played to GM's rhythm.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
A team that uses full court pressure was out witted by a team putting Faux' full court pressure on them ? Hmmmmmmmmmm. That semi fake press completely messed with the flow of VCU's game, and it was VCU 's own doing. They never tried to just blow thru the press, but instead slowed up, and played to GM's rhythm.
And it continued in the second half after being uber effective in the first half...that and the rebounding is of great concern...

Reactions: Celticguy
Apr 19, 2009
I have yet to see any offensive flow from this team this year.

Reactions: Celticguy