Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
If I own stock in a company and that company is not performing up to expectations, I have every right to point it out. That doesn't mean that I want to become CEO. I just expect an organization that I commit my time and money to perform at a bare minimum level.

if you own enough stock you have a right to point it out....if you are a typical main street shareholder, you are not on the agenda and have no rights.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
In my opinion, at this level, managing people and egos are huge. Mike doesn’t have a lot of charisma.

Mike makes it a point to say it’s a players program. He doesn’t run a lot of sets plays, the gives them a long leash. You have to have the right guys to do that, and a guard that’s a leader. We don’t have either. He isn’t adjusting to his personnel. He wants to play a certain way and that’s it.
The set plays are practiced every day. The guys should know what to run in various situations.

Reactions: RamStrut

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
If your looking at low major coaches, start with ones with a winning record in their league or have strung a couple good seasons together. The best assistants are usually at the big schools, go there. Preferably someone who has recruited some of your regions. And I don’t think having a climber for a few years is that bad.
Fair answer. But again, you didn’t specifically answer my question. WHO would you have hired instead of MR?

Mar 1, 2015
Fair answer. But again, you didn’t specifically answer my question. WHO would you have hired instead of MR?
Just because you make a list doesn’t mean you are on theirs obviously. But VCU is an attractive job, great place to make a name for yourself.

Don’t get paid to follow it that close. The name I liked 3 years ago was King Rice. UNC pedigree, turned around Monmouth and was coming of back to back 1st place showings. A game out this year. Doubt he enjoys the funding imbalance there as VCU coaches have. Becker at Vermont wins that league every year, but maybe not HAVOCy enough?

With a 7 figure starting salary, I would imagine many up and coming assistants at power programs could be lured. Coaches come and go here. I would much rather have some. Leave a little early than someone you are stuck with.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Just because you make a list doesn’t mean you are on theirs obviously. But VCU is an attractive job, great place to make a name for yourself.

Don’t get paid to follow it that close. The name I liked 3 years ago was King Rice. UNC pedigree, turned around Monmouth and was coming of back to back 1st place showings. A game out this year. Doubt he enjoys the funding imbalance there as VCU coaches have. Becker at Vermont wins that league every year, but maybe not HAVOCy enough?

With a 7 figure starting salary, I would imagine many up and coming assistants at power programs could be lured. Coaches come and go here. I would much rather have some. Leave a little early than someone you are stuck with.
Appreciate your answer. King Rice had two good seasons in a row at Monmouth, but went 11-20 and 14-21 the past two years.
I would agree with John Becker. I find it strange that no other school has offered him to be their coach.

My question to you, how are we stuck with Mike Rhoades?

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Appreciate your answer. King Rice had two good seasons in a row at Monmouth, but went 11-20 and 14-21 the past two years.
I would agree with John Becker. I find it strange that no other school has offered him to be their coach.

Not that i consider us “stuck”, but if i were in that camp, the buy out on his contract is not trivial and would give me pause.

Mar 1, 2015

Low major leagues like the MAAC have more parity. But Rice has a winning in league and some actual success. Nobody enjoys the relative advantages in the MAAC like VCU and Dayton have in the A10. Top of those leagues are more of a revolving door. I don’t think staying at the top of the league is as difficult at VCU.

Point is, I thought VCU was in a position not to gamble as much on a hire. Rhoades had a losing record in CUSA and 5th was the highest finish. 3 years there and 3 here and there are an many questions as answers.

He’s recruiting pretty well now, lots of promise there. He may be fine. He may be very mediocre and VCUs funding can mask that a little in the A10. Can’t say I’m impressed with the product on the floor so far. If things go south, don’t see how they could buy out more than a season, and even that seems difficult. Could be damaging. Just seemed like an unnecessary risk to me to trade for some familiarity.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Low major leagues like the MAAC have more parity. But Rice has a winning in league and some actual success. Nobody enjoys the relative advantages in the MAAC like VCU and Dayton have in the A10. Top of those leagues are more of a revolving door. I don’t think staying at the top of the league is as difficult at VCU.

Point is, I thought VCU was in a position not to gamble as much on a hire. Rhoades had a losing record in CUSA and 5th was the highest finish. 3 years there and 3 here and there are an many questions as answers.

He’s recruiting pretty well now, lots of promise there. He may be fine. He may be very mediocre and VCUs funding can mask that a little in the A10. Can’t say I’m impressed with the product on the floor so far. If things go south, don’t see how they could buy out more than a season, and even that seems difficult. Could be damaging. Just seemed like an unnecessary risk to me to trade for some familiarity.
The biggest gamble of a hire VCU has made in my life time was Shaka Smart and that worked out decent for us.

I still stand by MR, but I can’t hate on your opinion because you actually provided facts and reasoning. Even if you forget his first season, the past two seasons on the court product has been disappointing. Not bad, but just not good enough. Like you, I like our freshman and recruits coming in too. Just gotta give it time.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN