Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
There go your NCAA bid just like that...…..Rhodes is underachieving for a million dollar coach imo. A10 first team (Evans ), Honorable mention A10 (Jenkins), and Silva (top 4 player in A10 this yr)…..Mason dominate you at home, even though the score looks respectable. News flash...Next year team wont have all of these pieces! Long road ahead for VCU basketball. The Rhodes fan club can continue to hype him but he's an avg at best head coach. Richmond is licking their chops right now. The Spiders are getting better while VCU regressing ...no way anybody confident in VCU winning the next 2 games/getting an at large bid! 1 NCAA appearance in his career for a reason! The next few rebuild years for VCU basketball will be brutal unless Briante ,Mo, Daniels and Maynor comeback lol

I disagree. I think our young guys are promising and don't see it as a rebuild at all. Our senior crew isn't magnificent this year, so I don't think it'll seem like a rebuild when they're gone. We'll have Bones and MSS, so I think we have good, solid pieces and really good recruits and bench players to support us. I think we stay about the same next year and then be really good the year after. Both seasons might end up better than this current one.

Jan 25, 2013
What, you don't think there's out-of-the-blue upsets late in the season too? The point is, one loss doesn't have to define a season unless you want it to.

For a bubble team like VCU in a non power 5 conference, every game is critical.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
For a bubble team like VCU in a non power 5 conference, every game in critical.
Obviously, but I don't see how this has to be an event-horizon moment. My whole point is IF VCU beats Dayton, only the hardcore haters will respond "well so what, they lost to George Mason at home." The committee, if they know their stuff, will neither treat VCU like a title contender with a Dayton win nor immediately strike them from the conversation the moment they get to the Mason loss, but consider their whole body of work. As angry as you guys are — and I get it, I do! — the bartender hasn't yelled out "last call" yet.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Jan 25, 2013
I disagree. I think our young guys are promising and don't see it as a rebuild at all. Our senior crew isn't magnificent this year, so I don't think it'll seem like a rebuild when they're gone. We'll have Bones and MSS, so I think we have good, solid pieces and really good recruits and bench players to support us. I think we stay about the same next year and then be really good the year after. Both seasons might end up better than this current one.

This is one of Rhoades best teams ever as a head coach....No way this team should be middle of the pack and NIT bound...

Jan 25, 2013
Obviously, but I don't see how this has to be an event-horizon moment. My whole point is IF VCU beats Dayton, only the hardcore haters will respond "well so what, they lost to George Mason at home." The committee, if they know their stuff, will neither treat VCU like a title contender with a Dayton win nor immediately strike them from the conversation the moment they get to the Mason loss, but consider their whole body of work. As angry as you guys are — and I get it, I do! — the bartender hasn't yelled out "last call" yet.

Don't look past Richmond...Dayton should be the talk Sunday

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
This is one of Rhoades best teams ever as a head coach....No way this team should be middle of the pack and NIT bound...

I didn't say anything about that. I just don't see the next few years as a total rebuild. Rhoades hasn't been a head coach for too long though. Of course it's more talented than any Rice team, but this is only his third year here. Evans is just not as good as advertised in any year he's been here. It's not his fault, but the injuries caught up to him, and I think he's had several issue that haven't been said aloud this year. I do think Rhoades has been too loyal to him this year, but that doesn't make him an awful coach.

We shouldn't be an NIT team this year, but I don't think that means Rhoades is a bad coach. People forget he won A10 coach of the year last year... if that team exceeded expectations and this one didn't live up to the hype, then it kind of cancels out to me and is further proof that this isn't totally on him.

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't say anything about that. I just don't see the next few years as a total rebuild. Rhoades hasn't been a head coach for too long though. Of course it's more talented than any Rice team, but this is only his third year here. Evans is just not as good as advertised in any year he's been here. It's not his fault, but the injuries caught up to him, and I think he's had several issue that haven't been said aloud this year. I do think Rhoades has been too loyal to him this year, but that doesn't make him an awful coach.

We shouldn't be an NIT team this year, but I don't think that means Rhoades is a bad coach. People forget he won A10 coach of the year last year... if that team exceeded expectations and this one didn't live up to the hype, then it kind of cancels out to me and is further proof that this isn't totally on him.

No way you believe Rhoades next few years have more potential than this year.. Too many unknowns and young players. 1 NCAA bid in his entire coaching career is not very impressive. Not a bad coach, just avg at best. VCU job bar was sat high with the past coaches. Mike Jones at Radford got 1 NCAA tourney for half the salary, just saying.