Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
The coach has ripped the heart and soul from his team. It drove me crazy to watch him allow his players to drown out there when GM made that 2nd half run. He wanted to wait for the TV timeout before steming the tide. What a jacka$$! Call the fricking TO, put the right players back in and Get the ship righted. WTF? It’s mid February! You know what ya got by now. Play your top 8. You waited too long and put them in too deep a hole. We need wins, not lessons!

Feb 12, 2020
I might be an outlier here but I wouldn’t say it’s crazy to think that a least 4 losses this year could’ve been prevented by Evans not being absolutely terrible in every loss we have had. I mean he shot 16 for 57 in VCUs losses this year and even early in the year I think Bones would’ve given VCU a much better shot to win those games. But that’s just my opinion

May 19, 2015
I might be an outlier here but I wouldn’t say it’s crazy to think that a least 4 losses this year could’ve been prevented by Evans not being absolutely terrible in every loss we have had. I mean he shot 16 for 57 in VCUs losses this year and even early in the year I think Bones would’ve given VCU a much better shot to win those games. But that’s just my opinion
I haven’t watched one game where you could pin a loss on any single player.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
I disagree. I think our young guys are promising and don't see it as a rebuild at all. Our senior crew isn't magnificent this year, so I don't think it'll seem like a rebuild when they're gone. We'll have Bones and MSS, so I think we have good, solid pieces and really good recruits and bench players to support us. I think we stay about the same next year and then be really good the year after. Both seasons might end up better than this current one.
I agree with your assessment about the pieces and parts being there my question surround how those pieces and parts are used. I haven’t seen a million dollars worth of coaching in the past few seasons. Just my assessment but I think you need both to win against tough opponents (and from what I saw tonight, weak ones as well)

Finance Ram 10

Top Member
Jan 11, 2013
Upsets happen, especially this season. Kentucky lost to Evansville. Duke lost to SFA. Charleston Southern, which might as well be a D2 this season, beat Missouri. Yeah, it stings in the moment and there's some legitimate concerns to digest, but I don't think a bad game has to extrapolate into a bad season or the end of an era of greatness or anything so dramatic. VCU beats Dayton and none of you guys are whispering a word about NIT, believe you me.
This upset happened because coach continues to start and give significant minutes to Evans, who is clearly injured and there's a obvious alternate option.

May 19, 2015
I’m simply saying when your senior point guard and leader (also preseason a 10 first team pick) is playing as bad as he is you can’t help but wonder what it would’ve been like if bones had come out and played like he has
It seems that we have had a number of seniors having off games, though they appeared to be getting their groove back in the past few games. Marcus is not responsible for carrying the whole team. In fact that has been the problem.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
No way you believe Rhoades next few years have more potential than this year.. Too many unknowns and young players. 1 NCAA bid in his entire coaching career is not very impressive. Not a bad coach, just avg at best. VCU job bar was sat high with the past coaches. Mike Jones at Radford got 1 NCAA tourney for half the salary, just saying.
I didn't say they had more potential.. but after the disappointing season, next year's squad might not seem like we're taking much of a hit. Again, it definitely won't be a total "rebuild" like you keep saying, especially because the seniors have so underperformed this year. The bright spots on our squad (besides Jenkins and sparks of Simms this year) will still be here next year along with some really talented freshman.

RamFanatic

Top Member
Feb 6, 2012
BracketForest, any chance you can delete this thread. I respect your opinions, but I’m not in the mood for a certain poster’s awful takes and I’m guessing I ain’t the only one.
If we somehow beat the ticks he’ll be conspicuously absent

Feb 12, 2020
It seems that we have had a number of seniors having off games, though they appeared to be getting their groove back in the past few games. Marcus is not responsible for carrying the whole team. In fact that has been the problem.
You’re right he’s not responsible for carrying the whole team but him being out there instead of bones who has been playing very very well for a freshman in Vcu’s system I feel has been a detriment to the team and it shows up big time in there losses

Reactions: connell
May 19, 2015
The coach has ripped the heart and soul from his team. It drove me crazy to watch him allow his players to drown out there when GM made that 2nd half run. He wanted to wait for the TV timeout before steming the tide. What a jacka$$! Call the fricking TO, put the right players back in and Get the ship righted. WTF? It’s mid February! You know what ya got by now. Play your top 8. You waited too long and put them in too deep a hole. We need wins, not lessons!
I was trying to figure out why Coach wouldn’t call a time out to stop the bleeding. What good is it to take them with you at half-time. Even if you have to call it to stop the opponent’s momentum. It was very frustrating.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
I agree with your assessment about the pieces and parts being there my question surround how those pieces and parts are used. I haven’t seen a million dollars worth of coaching in the past few seasons. Just my assessment but I think you need both to win against tough opponents (and from what I saw tonight, weak ones as well)
Yeah, I get it. I don't know why, but Rhoades just seems insanely loyal to Evans and Vann. It's been the same story all season. They have been the two players who have most underperformed (for whatever reason/reasons that aren't being communicated to the fans in depth). It's frustrating Rhoades hasn't subbed them out more, but I think he truly believes they will show up and be the players he knows they can be. It's almost like he's scared to let THEM down. That's definitely a coaching flaw, but I don't think it's a flaw that deserves us completely ignoring losing only two games in the conference last season and him being A10 coach of the year.

I truly think once this senior class is gone, things will get a big, big refresh. It's crazy, but that senior group seems to be weighing us down. I don't believe it's totally right to pin that all on Rhoades. At the end of the day, they're either going to make their shots or not. He knows they CAN do it.

Bones missed a lot tonight too. He's awesome, but he's not flawless. Rhoades could have subbed earlier tonight and more often in general, but if Bones misses his shots too, we still lose. That's not always on coach.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
There go your NCAA bid just like that...…..Rhodes is underachieving for a million dollar coach imo. A10 first team (Evans ), Honorable mention A10 (Jenkins), and Silva (top 4 player in A10 this yr)…..Mason dominate you at home, even though the score looks respectable. News flash...Next year team wont have all of these pieces! Long road ahead for VCU basketball. The Rhodes fan club can continue to hype him but he's an avg at best head coach. Richmond is licking their chops right now. The Spiders are getting better while VCU regressing ...no way anybody confident in VCU winning the next 2 games/getting an at large bid! 1 NCAA appearance in his career for a reason! The next few rebuild years for VCU basketball will be brutal unless Briante ,Mo, Daniels and Maynor comeback lol
You suck as a poster. You only come here when there's a loss. Go hump the leg of some other sports site.