Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

May 19, 2015
You’re right he’s not responsible for carrying the whole team but him being out there instead of bones who has been playing very very well for a freshman in Vcu’s system I feel has been a detriment to the team and it shows up big time in there losses
Take it up with Coach. That sounds like a coach’s decision, not Marcus. Furthermore, even if Marcus or Bones makes a great pass, the player has to make the basket which is why it is a team win or loss. Cheers my friend. 🥃

Last edited:

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I was trying to figure out why Coach wouldn’t call a time out to stop the bleeding. What good is it to take them with you at half-time. Even if you have to call it to stop the opponent’s momentum. It was very frustrating.
Because he (and the team) expect the other team to wear out so we can go on a run.
In the mean time - Play like you don't care. Don't call timeouts. Don't try to get rebounds. Watch the other team out hustle you.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
There go your NCAA bid just like that...…..Rhodes is underachieving for a million dollar coach imo. A10 first team (Evans ), Honorable mention A10 (Jenkins), and Silva (top 4 player in A10 this yr)…..Mason dominate you at home, even though the score looks respectable. News flash...Next year team wont have all of these pieces! Long road ahead for VCU basketball. The Rhodes fan club can continue to hype him but he's an avg at best head coach. Richmond is licking their chops right now. The Spiders are getting better while VCU regressing ...no way anybody confident in VCU winning the next 2 games/getting an at large bid! 1 NCAA appearance in his career for a reason! The next few rebuild years for VCU basketball will be brutal unless Briante ,Mo, Daniels and Maynor comeback lol
You have no clue. I don't like to use the term but you are a 'Troll". We haven't lost a thing yet, and there is no reason to throw in the towel on this year or the next.

Next year Ward will be a year older, stronger, and seasoned and will help up front a lot. Bones will be a stud. and gives us Jr. year Evans play. Dougles will be steady. MSS will be back and stronger than ever. Curry will be ready to turn the corner he'll give us the Jenkins stuff. Vince will be healthy and give us IV's production and more. McCallister will fill in like Curry is this year. Plus, we have 3 guys coming in who will tear it up.

Evans, Jenkins, Crow, and IV will be missed just like Maynor, Burgess', Skeen, Reddic, Weber, Johnson, Daniels, Graham, Lewis, M-AC, and Tillman. However, same as before someone will step up (see above).

As the Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain once stated: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" so to is the demise of our brand and our program. We are here to stay and that isn't an optimistic fan but rather a fact!

Go Rams!

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
You don't win games by simply stepping on the court. This was as bad as it gets. Bad rebounding, horrible stretches of non scoring, November like play.
That's it in a nutshell.
I think our Seniors are too nice and defer way too much. Sometimes as a big brother, you have to take the bull by the horns and simply state, I got this.

In the last minute of the game, I saw D Jenkins who at the time had just hit a 3 and was 2-3 from deep pass the ball to Bones with 20 plus seconds to go and a chance to get within 1 point. Yes, Bones was a bit more open but Jenkins could have gotten off a solid shot and most likely would have made it. Seniors need to take charge in situataions like that. E. Maynor would never have passed that ball away.

Last edited:
May 19, 2015
Because he (and the team) expect the other team to wear out so we can go on a run.
In the mean time - Play like you don't care. Don't call timeouts. Don't try to get rebounds. Watch the other team out hustle you.
We get rebounded EVERY GAME just about. Why? I wish I knew. We need to abandon full court press because we don’t have the speed to recover and defend. 🙄

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
People complain about the lack of hustle, intensity, rebounding...
How hard would you compete at anything if you knew that regardless of performance, effort, results or hustle there would be no changes to bettering your position on the team (starting line-up) or playing time. This is a horrible culture we have built this year and it is totally on MR. It is mind boggling.

Feb 12, 2020
Take it up with Coach. That sounds like a coach’s decision, not Marcus. Furthermore, even if Marcus or Bones makes a great, the player has to make the basket which is why it is a team win or loss. Cheers my friend. 🥃
You’re right it is a coaches decision I simply think Bones give us a better chance to put the ball in the basket which is something Coach Rhodes needs to think about. Cheers to you as well🥃

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
The part of tonight's game that infuriates me is how our players stand on the outside( like their feet are in cement) when a shot goes up and hope for one of two things.Either the shot goes in or Santos-Silva will get the rebound. Getting out rebounded by 20 is ridiculous.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Aug 26, 2016
No words can adequately convey the disappointment and frustration experienced by so many this evening. However placing blame will not change the outcome, nor will it rectify the cause. It is what it is, and we can either accept it and move on, or waste energy foolishly thinking there is anything which can be done about it. When the team takes the court in November for the Black & Gold game we’ll once again be excited about what may be, and think far less about what could have been. Here is to our incoming freshmen and returning upperclassmen, it will be your team soon so please exceed our expectations...

Last edited:

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
People complain about the lack of hustle, intensity, rebounding...
How hard would you compete at anything if you knew that regardless of performance, effort, results or hustle there would be no changes to bettering your position on the team (starting line-up) or playing time. This is a horrible culture we have built this year and it is totally on MR. It is mind boggling.
Right. This makes me worry that VCU will become transfer city this summer. It don't matter who you are. If you can't produce you sit. That's life. Mike has missed the boat on this. We called for this on these boards 15 games ago. We begged for it 10 games ago. We cried out loud for it 5 games ago. How come we can all see this yet, our head coach can't?

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Aug 26, 2016
Right. This makes me worry that VCU will become transfer city this summer. It don't matter who you are. If you can't produce you sit. That's life. Mike has missed the boat on this. We called for this on these boards 15 games ago. We begged for it 10 games ago. We cried out loud for it 5 games ago. How come we can all see this yet, our head coach can't?
So first we worry about losing our coach at the end of every season. I don’t think that’s a problem with Rhodes. Now we have to worry about losing our players. Which I believe is more of a probability then a possibility unless some dramatic changes occur. I wonder when we’ll get to a place where neither is a concern. Yea, I know, “wake up and smell the coffee”...

Reactions: wavevcu and Ramshot

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
So first we worry about losing our coach at the end of every season. I don’t think that’s a problem with Rhodes. Now we have to worry about losing our players. Which I believe is more of a probability then a possibility unless some dramatic changes occur. I wonder when we’ll get to a place where neither is a concern. Yea, I know, “wake up and smell the coffee”...
It’s 2020 and it’s college athletics. Nothing is a sure thing. It’s not as much about VCU, but more about the state of college hoops. There’s always a chance a player on any team could have an old AAU coach who knows an assistant at _______ school and they are really on to that certain player.

Alert: I have zero knowledge of any VCU players wanting to transfer, I am more just pointing out a college athletics (specially college basketball) fact.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN