Turning the Page. New season starts 4pm at UR.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
The coach has ripped the heart and soul from his team. It drove me crazy to watch him allow his players to drown out there when GM made that 2nd half run. He wanted to wait for the TV timeout before steming the tide. What a jacka$$! Call the fricking TO, put the right players back in and Get the ship righted. WTF? It’s mid February! You know what ya got by now. Play your top 8. You waited too long and put them in too deep a hole. We need wins, not lessons!

Here's my question.... is the problem him? Or is the problem the players themselves? Or is it a combination of the two?

Sure, any coach can call a timeout as the opponent starts to get on a run.... but you also only get 4 timeouts a game. So you have to use them wisely. But it's evident that this year MR is trying to let the players work their way out of jams, instead of just instantly calling a timeout every time someone gets on a run. Because if we did that, we'd be outta timeouts 5 minutes into the 2nd half.

Maybe the problem is MR believes in his players too much? Maybe he's giving them too much say. Maybe MR needs to call the plays, and if the players don't run it properly in a game they bench them... just like he would do for a player who doesn't play defense?

Clearly there's "an elephant in the room" that needs to be addressed. Not sure if it's a player to player issue, coach to player issue or player to coach issue. Whatever it is, we gotta figure it out.

Blah, blah, blah. Why do you only show up after a loss? I should thank you, as reading your posts is a great cure for insomnia.

You're welcome! I showed up because the NCAA bid is headed down the drain with a team picked in the top 25 and top 2 in the A-10 (posters on here last yr, said this yr team would be better than 2018-2019 team because of the returning players)... not a LOSS to the 11th seed G. Mason... People on here really think next year team will be better than this one lol

Last edited:

Who_Dat_Ninja

Elite Member
Maybe the problem is MR believes in his players too much? Maybe he's giving them too much say. Maybe MR needs to call the plays, and if the players don't run it properly in a game they bench them... just like he would do for a player who doesn't play defense?

This is a huge portion of it... I don't see him running enough discipline in his team.

We have kids jacking up 30 foot jumpers after one pass and 8 seconds into the shot clock like they are on fire (meanwhile they are shooting 25%). We have kids not boxing out. I've already posted enough about this so I'm not going to repeat it all..

This is simple stuff that shows the coach is not running a disciplined team.

This team has a lot of weaknesses.

Little size, physicality, or rebounding.

Not a great shooting team.

Best, maybe only PG is a freshman.

DJ and Vann play a lot together and neither provide ball handling or any inside presence. Team is wing heavy, which isn’t bad, but those wings don’t provide enough of a cross section of roles.

Don’t have a leader in the backcourt. Bones is a freshman. Folks wanted Evans to fill that role, but he is to emotional and whiny, has always been a ball hogging turnover machine, and is now apparently gimpy.

A coach who doesn’t appear to adapt to the players we have. To rigid in his approach.

...presto, the present situation.

If you think this team has a lot of weakness with a 1st team A-10 performer (Evans), Honorable mention all A10 player (Jenkins), Silva,who should make 1st team a10 this year, and Vann a 1,000 point scorer...…. what are your expectation for next yr team which will be young with a lot of unproven players that's not highly rated like years past?

Here's my question.... is the problem him? Or is the problem the players themselves? Or is it a combination of the two?

Sure, any coach can call a timeout as the opponent starts to get on a run.... but you also only get 4 timeouts a game. So you have to use them wisely. But it's evident that this year MR is trying to let the players work their way out of jams, instead of just instantly calling a timeout every time someone gets on a run. Because if we did that, we'd be outta timeouts 5 minutes into the 2nd half.

Clearly there's "an elephant in the room" that needs to be addressed. Not sure if it's a player to player issue, coach to player issue or player to coach issue. Whatever it is, we gotta figure it out.
Every coach is different in how they use their timeouts. Some want their players to work through their jam, others are quick to call a timeout. Gregg Marshall hardly every calls a timeout unless he feels he absolutely has to. He rather have his players work through it, battle back. To each their own really. This team has more problems to worry about than MR's timeout usage.

VCU85

Elite Member
Don't be mad at me, be mad at your head coach for not stopping the bleeding during the 16-0 run, which sealed the game for Mason (a TEAM THAT'S 11th in the A-10!) lol a Mason "who notched their third win in Atlantic-10 play."

"George Mason utilized a 16-0 run over the course of five minutes to take a commanding 17-point lead with 6:32 remaining. The stretch effectively put the game away for the visiting Patriots, who notched their third win in Atlantic-10 play."- The Commonwealth Times
Mad at you ? No, you only post when things are bad, so you opinion is totally that of a lame @ss troll. Everyone here is well aware of the issues with this team. We don't need you telling us something we've all been discussing when they lose, and WIN.

Again piss off. Come back when you have something to actually contribute to the discussion the board doesn't know.

Last edited:
There go your NCAA bid just like that...…..Rhodes is underachieving for a million dollar coach imo. A10 first team (Evans ), Honorable mention A10 (Jenkins), and Silva (top 4 player in A10 this yr)…..Mason dominate you at home, even though the score looks respectable. News flash...Next year team wont have all of these pieces! Long road ahead for VCU basketball. The Rhodes fan club can continue to hype him but he's an avg at best head coach. Richmond is licking their chops right now. The Spiders are getting better while VCU regressing ...no way anybody confident in VCU winning the next 2 games/getting an at large bid! 1 NCAA appearance in his career for a reason! The next few rebuild years for VCU basketball will be brutal unless Briante ,Mo, Daniels and Maynor comeback lol
Haha. I am sorry, but you're wrong. He's not even done with his 3rd year. He finally has a full class of guys coming that are HIS GUYS. His guys for his system in his vision. News flash, although people are paying a millie for houses on grove ave (crazy)...it's Richmond, VA...it's not Kentucky, it's not UCLA, it's not a school that can demand instant success. We play in the A-10. All the private schools have nicer gyms than some of the lower A-10 schools. Maybe this is a culmination of coaches coming and going for a period of time and it's finally caught up. If MR is doing this in year 5, okay, then we have this convo. The man is 60-30 as a coach at VCU....and you're upset with that? Got to be more patient!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
This is a huge portion of it... I don't see him running enough discipline in his team.

We have kids jacking up 30 foot jumpers after one pass and 8 seconds into the shot clock like they are on fire (meanwhile they are shooting 25%). We have kids not boxing out. I've already posted enough about this so I'm not going to repeat it all..

This is simple stuff that shows the coach is not running a disciplined team.

Ok here's another question to that.... How much of this is on MR and how much of this is on the players themselves? Especially when a lot of it is coming from our senior class? Is it MR's fault for trusting these guys.... or is it the players faults for going out there and letting their team & the coaching staff down?

Also the lack of discipline goes back to last years team, only difference is last year we had a lot more mental toughness as a team which is why we won more close games & games against quality opponents. Remember the Temple & St. John's games? ME had 5+ turnovers in both games... one game we won, the other we didn't. And the one that we didn't win... everyone wanted to say we lost because ME was fouled.... not because he turned it over 6 times, or that he shot 1-6 from 3, or that he missed one of the Potential Game winning FTs at the end of regulation.... the list goes on. So where's the accountability for our players when they mess up?

Then this year you've had a player & a parent's outburst on social media this year... whether justified or not... just goes to show a lack of mental toughness again. These guys are seniors, they should have thick skin by now... there's been fans criticizing them for 3+ years now... both at VCU & I'm sure even at their previous schools. At some point you just have to tune out the distractions & go to work.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Every coach is different in how they use their timeouts. Some want their players to work through their jam, others are quick to call a timeout. Gregg Marshall hardly every calls a timeout unless he feels he absolutely has to. He rather have his players work through it, battle back. To each their own really. This team has more problems to worry about than MR's timeout usage.

I agree.

Haha. I am sorry, but you're wrong. He's not even done with his 3rd year. He finally has a full class of guys coming that are HIS GUYS. His guys for his system in his vision. News flash, although people are paying a millie for houses on grove ave (crazy)...it's Richmond, VA...it's not Kentucky, it's not UCLA, it's not a school that can demand instant success. We play in the A-10. All the private schools have nicer gyms than some of the lower A-10 schools. Maybe this is a culmination of coaches coming and going for a period of time and it's finally caught up. If MR is doing this in year 5, okay, then we have this convo. The man is 60-30 as a coach at VCU....and you're upset with that? Got to be more patient!

You're wrong! 1 NCAA appearance in his entire career as a head coach... what does 60 wins mean when you're playing in the NIT,CIT or missing the tourney almost every year. RVA or Duke, a 1 million dollar salary with incentives and a 20 million dollar practice gym wasn't spent to go to the side tournaments lol Those numbers are paid out to compete for NCAA titles and keep up with the power 5 programs. 3rd year is an excuse, Look at what Grant is doing at year 2 in Dayton,just saying.

Last edited:
I have felt all year that the biggest problem with our team has been the lack of half court defense. Yes, our offense has struggled throughout the year, and there are some players that seem to have digressed from last year (something I don't understand, maybe there's a good reason?), but we were a better team last year because we played NASTY half court defense. We are not doing that consistently this year and it's killing us. Our defense last year allowed us to be mediocre on offense and still win. Look at the number of games where we've given up over 70 points. Too many. A few were over 80. Against the better teams, our defense has been poor and we have some tough road games approaching that we will not win unless the defense gets better. Tougher, more physical defense also means better rebounding, which we also struggle with at times. This team needs to get nasty. Where did that go?

HBK

Elite Member
You're welcome! I showed up because the NCAA bid is headed down the drain with a team picked in the top 25 and top 2 in the A-10 (posters on here last yr, said this yr team would be better than 2018-2019 team because of the returning players)... not a LOSS to the 11th seed G. Mason... People on here really think next year team will be better than this one lol
It is just as foolish to claim next year's team will be worse than this year as it is to suggest that it will be better than this year. The fact is no one really knows if next year's team will be better or worse. It is impossible to know that now. That's why paying attention to preseason polls is ridiculous. Michigan State was preseason #1; now they aren't in the top 25.

Segue into a tangential topic, somewhat related to what you and I were discussing: People in general get too worked up over predictions. I see people worried about some KenPom prediction for a game. As I stated yesterday, BEFORE the debacle last night, no one can correctly predict or forecast the outcome of random events 100% of the time. All the analytics in the world don't solve for things that cannot necessarily be measured, like effort and mental focus. I don't pay one bit of attention to game predictions by KenPom or anyone else. I have no idea, but I would bet than KenPom and others predicted that we'd win easily last night. How'd that prediction work out? If predicting a single game is not infallible, then how can you, I or anyone try to predict next season already? That was a rhetorical question.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
You're wrong! 1 NCAA appearance in his entire career as a head coach... what does 60 wins mean when you're playing in the NIT,CIT or missing the tourney almost every year. RVA or Duke, a 1 million dollar salary with incentives and a 20 million dollar practice gym wasn't spent to go to the side tournaments lol Those numbers are paid out to compete for NCAA titles and keep up with the power 5 programs. 3rd year is an excuse, Look at what Grant is doing at year 2 in Dayton,just saying.
Do you have any idea what those teams are spending? A million dollar salary is nothing in the college basketball world. Our former coach is making almost 3 million a year with limited success.