Understanding what it takes to get an at-large from a mid-major conference (long)

The official NET won’t be out until January. We’ll have to rely on KP and Torvik until then. What appears on CBS Sports and Nolan are calculated by them, I think.
Have they announced that? I seem to recall it coming out super early 2 seasons ago and in early December last year.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Have they announced that? I seem to recall it coming out super early 2 seasons ago and in early December last year.
The first NET last season was published on January 4th, though then again the season started about 3 weeks later due to COVID.

urmite

Elite Member
Torvik without preseason seems to be a pretty good measuring stick while we don’t yet have official NET rankings.

Of course there are also still sites that calculate RPI…VCU’s is 62.
What did this site do?

Oh, Syracuse & UConn moved their campus to the Bahamas….

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
What did this site do?

Oh, Syracuse & UConn moved their campus to the Bahamas….
Whatever it’s doing, it isn’t right, because Davidson is dead last despite having a listed RPI of 43. This site’s RPI rankings have been really weird for years. I recall seeing VCU with a RPI of 7 on this site when it was actually in the 40s.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Where did you get 37?
Just going with Warren Nolan. Pretty sure that's where the 42 figure came from. I won't warrant it's accurate, but that's what the site says.

Fwiw, Haslam says we're 38 with the 20th toughest SOS so far. Torvik has us at 72, mostly due to our horrendous turnover issues. He says the defense is #1, though (#3 for Haslam).

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Just going with Warren Nolan. Pretty sure that's where the 42 figure came from. I won't warrant it's accurate, but that's what the site says.

Fwiw, Haslam says we're 38 with the 20th toughest SOS so far. Torvik has us at 72, mostly due to our horrendous turnover issues. He says the defense is #1, though (#3 for Haslam).
42 is what TeamRankings’ RPI list has us at.

I think I'll be content to see what actually happens when we play games.
A10 may not be a one team conference but I doubt it will be a 4 team one. It just looks dodgy after Bona.
Way too early for me to conjecture but A10 could easily be a 2 team one. Maybe even 3 if things go well for the top dogs.

buckwheat

Elite Member
You're absolutely right; we do this every year. Because every year we lose to or play close games with perceived weak sisters and people freak out, declaring in November that at-large hopes are "done." Thanks for providing a little data

But we don’t lose to Wagner and Chattanooga types at home OOC every year. In fact, I can’t recall a time where we lost two of these games at home and still had any prayer of an at-large.

Now are we capable of running off a bunch of conference wins and making things interesting? Absolutely! That said, I think it’s ok to admit that this year is a bit different from some of the others. We’ve had injury issues from the get-go and there is a significant learning curve for a lot of these guys getting unexpected minutes. There will continue to be ups and downs this season.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

Actually, I like the USA Today Jeff Sagarin Ratings. Always thought they were pretty accurate, especially early in the season. Through yesterday's games, Sagarin has VCU #58, behind SLU (#44) and St. Bonaventure (#45). Sagarin lists VCU's schedule as #25 regarding toughness. The other stats he provides for each team are Top 25 opponents record and Top 50 opponents record.

Sagarin also has the A-10 ranked as the #10 conference, which I think is pretty accurate right now. The A-10 is ranked behind the West Coast (#7), AAC (#8) and the Mountain West (#9), and above the Missouri Valley (#11).

FYI, below are his other A-10 top 100 rankings:
#69 - Davidson
#83 - fur
#86 - Rhode Island

The A-10 is 1-4 against Sagarin's Top 25 and 1-7 against Sagarin's Top 50.