Understanding what it takes to get an at-large from a mid-major conference (long)

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
In previous years, we were on the right side of some ugly (OOC) performances that still ended up being huge metric-lifting, resume-enhancing, at-large boosting road/neutral wins — Texas 54-53, Temple 57-53, UVA 59-56. We had kids that took/made big shots or FTs down the stretch - Marcus Evans, Treveon Graham, Darius Theus, JQ, Bones, etc.

We had that same opportunity down the stretch against UConn last week in what would have been a huge metric-boosting win despite an offensively inept performance. Only this time we didn’t have “that guy” to “bring it home” and push us across the finish line in regulation (56-56). That’s the difference. No “go-to” guy. No “difference-maker.”

At crunch time in the past, we could give it to Maynor, give it to Treveon, give it to Evans, give it to JQ, give it to Mel, give it to Bones, etc.

In two low-scoring early season tilts already, we couldn’t close out Chatt and UConn. Two killer losses. We usually win those. Frankly, we got a lucky tip by Ward to survive a potential third close low-scoring loss (in just seven games).

Over the next 25+ games, we are going to be in a bunch of close games and we don’t have a reliable “closer.” We will likely suffer several more close losses this year as result.

Hopefully, Billups, Watkins, Kern, or even Ace can “close” games next year.

Last edited:

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
In previous years, we were on the right side of some ugly (OOC) performances that still ended up being huge metric-lifting, resume-enhancing, at-large boosting road/neutral wins — Texas 54-53, Temple 57-53, UVA 59-56. We had kids that took/made big shots or FTs down the stretch - Marcus Evans, Treveon Graham, Darius Theus, JQ, Bones, etc.

We had that same opportunity down the stretch against UConn last week in what would have been a huge metric-boosting win despite an offensively inept performance. Only this time we didn’t have “that guy” to “bring it home” and push us across the finish line in regulation (56-56). That’s the difference. No “go-to” guy. No “difference-maker.”

At crunch time in the past, we could give it to Maynor, give it to Treveon, give it to Evans, give it to JQ, give it to Mel, give it to Bones, etc.

In two low-scoring early season tilts already, we couldn’t close out Chatt and UConn. Two killer losses. We usually win those. Frankly, we got a lucky tip by Ward to survive a potential third close low-scoring loss (in just seven games).

Over the next 25+ games, we are going to be in a bunch of close games and we don’t have a reliable “closer.” We will likely suffer several more close losses this year as result.
It’s been over 2 years since I’ve said this, but I suggest all of you to read GTA’s posts with an internal robot voice.

buckwheat

Elite Member
So which season are you referring to? In 2011/2012 we didn’t get an at-large. The year before we did, but didn’t have any bad OOC losses, which was my whole point to begin with.

I’m confused. Gonna bow out of this one, haha.
In 2010-11 (our Final Four Yr), we got an at-large. Drexel, JMU, GMU, ODU, VCU were all good. That’s one reason why the CAA got three bids.

In 2011-12 (our last yr in the CAA), we got an auto (beat Drexel in the CAA tourney final). An absolute nail-biting thriller in the Coliseum.

I feel like this dude is like one of those Reddit bots that somehow picks up on what other people write with some auto generated response.