VCU and A10 advanced metrics/rankings (NET, KenPom, Torvik)

Aug 7, 2012
that and 3P% defense. I noticed that's picked up since we returned from Xmas break. If we can approach where we were last year in that area, we will be really, really hard to beat.
I wish the NCAA site included 3P% D on their list of team stats. Do you know where we rank nationally?

We’re currently 26th in the country in blocks per game, 9th in the country in steals per game, 8th in the country in turnovers forced per game, and 7th in the country in turnover margin. And most of the teams ahead of us in those stats are smaller schools playing weak competition.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I wish the NCAA site included 3P% D on their list of team stats. Do you know where we rank nationally?

We’re currently 26th in the country in blocks per game, 9th in the country in steals per game, 8th in the country in turnovers forced per game, and 7th in the country in turnover margin. And most of the teams ahead of us in those stats are smaller schools playing weak competition.
Torvik says 156, 32.7%. We were second last year at 28.5%. I'm pretty sure we upped the defense in A-10 play last year, hopefully we do again.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
I watched that game and it was surprising especially due to the fact that BC was without their leading scorer.
They have also been without Popovic.
I wonder if he is nervous. With him 4-5, without him 5-1...

Aug 7, 2012
We dropped a spot to 31 because of Mason’s loss last night. They dropped from a Q2 win to a Q3 win as their NET plummeted 34 spots to 153.

LSU moved up to 25. Purdue moved up from a Q2 loss to a Q1 loss after their NET improved to 46.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
We dropped a spot to 31 because of Mason’s loss last night. They dropped from a Q2 win to a Q3 win as their NET plummeted 34 spots to 153.

LSU moved up to 25. Purdue moved up from a Q2 loss to a Q1 loss after their NET improved to 46.
You're not the first I've seen say something like this, but I want to dispel the myth that an opponent changing quads impacts our net. It doesn't. Quads are a qualitative tool used by the committee, but the quads themselves don't impact NET. Instead, an opponent's 5 NET metrics impact our metric continously. In practical terms, that means a neutral opponent dropping from 48 to 53, would have roughly the same impact as if it were a drop from 51 to 55 (note that it depends on the actual NET score which isnt published, but must exist to compute NET rankings; think kenpom adjem v. Rank).

Aug 7, 2012
You're not the first I've seen say something like this, but I want to dispel the myth that an opponent changing quads impacts our net. It doesn't. Quads are a qualitative tool used by the committee, but the quads themselves don't impact NET. Instead, an opponent's 5 NET metrics impact our metric continously. In practical terms, that means a neutral opponent dropping from 48 to 53, would have roughly the same impact as if it were a drop from 51 to 55 (note that it depends on the actual NET score which isnt published, but must exist to compute NET rankings; think kenpom adjem v. Rank).
That‘s why I said they dropped 34 spots. That affected our net. And it also changed our Q2/Q3 games.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Rhode Island moved up from #86 to #77 in the NET after last night, which puts them close to being a Q2 home game (need to be 75).

Richmond moved up from #50 to #45. They still have work to do but they're inching closer to possibly being a Q1 home game.

Reactions: mrgeode

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
Rhode Island moved up from #86 to #77 in the NET after last night, which puts them close to being a Q2 home game (need to be 75).

Richmond moved up from #50 to #45. They still have work to do but they're inching closer to possibly being a Q1 home game.
Sounds like a discussion I've seen on a few other boards when an opponent is close to Q1.
Some times the options are beat them and they are Q2, lose to them and they are Q1.
I'll take a Q2 win over a Q1 loss...

Reactions: share the ball

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
7 A10 teams in Ken Pomeroy’s kenpom.com top 100.
This year just seems so odd to me. The conference did pretty well in out of conference play but it seems to be trending to a two bid year unless something happens in the A10 tournament like the last couple of years when St Louis and Davidson got the league an extra bid.

Jan 8, 2020

It help us the most if our conference scheduling partners (those we play twice) win over the A-10 teams we play once.

Reactions: share the ball
Aug 7, 2012
Updates on our potential Q1 games.

Likely Q1:
@ Wichita State L (8)
@ Dayton TBD (10)
Dayton TBD (10)
@ Richmond TBD (need to be top 75... currently at 45)

Borderline Q1:
LSU W (need to be top 30.... currently at 25)
(n)Purdue L (need to be top 50.... currently at 44)
@ Rhode Island TBD (need to be top 75... currently at 76)

Less likely Q1:
(n)Tennessee L (need to be top 50... currently at 67)
@ Charleston W (need to be top 75... currently at 98)
Richmond TBD (need to be top 30... currently at 45)
Duquesne TBD (need to be top 30... currently at 56)
@ Davidson TBD (need to be top 75... currently at 107)

Possible A10 Tournament opponents that would be Q1 games (i.e. top 50 NET):
Dayton (10)
Richmond (45)
Duquesne (56)
St. Louis (68)
Rhode Island (76)
Davidson (107) - they’re going to fall off the list if they don’t improve soon