VCU and A10 advanced metrics/rankings (NET, KenPom, Torvik)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
They are under the median, but not under 60% of the median. The median right now is 11.5, and 60% of that is 6.9 (so, 7). They've played 8 games so they do make the cut as of right now.

Side note: I never thought I'd use the word "median" in a basketball forum for anything other than team statistics haha...

Don't they play each other twice in the next few days? Unless the schedule has changed and hasn't been updated..

I see them playing each other twice; Mason has GW on Wednesday
Go check out the official standings at the A10, UMass is in first and we remain above DC.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
They are under the median, but not under 60% of the median. The median right now is 11.5, and 60% of that is 6.9 (so, 7). They've played 8 games so they do make the cut as of right now.

Side note: I never thought I'd use the word "median" this much in a basketball forum, haha..

Don't they play each other twice in the next few days? Unless the schedule has changed and hasn't been updated..

I see them playing each other twice; Mason has GW on Wednesday
Who knows? I just think that's a tough matchup for the Cats.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Thus far we've dropped four spots to 42 on Torvik. It could change as other games get played today and tomorrow, but not too big a hit in terms of his metrics.

Reactions: mrA10

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Thus far we've dropped four spots to 42 on Torvik. It could change as other games get played today and tomorrow, but not too big a hit in terms of his metrics.
We had lots of help today from other teams as well.
I'm just trying to get past what could of (should of) been.

Reactions: mrgeode
Dec 8, 2011
Here's the other thing: based on the remaining schedule, assuming every game gets played from here until March 1, the final median number of conference games will be 12.5. 60% of that is 7.5, so any team who has played 8 conference games will be seeded based on percentage. If every remaining game is played, every team will reach the 8-game requirement.

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Every year we drop one that we just can’t believe and we win a few that we didn’t think we would or should. Almost every team fighting for the last few at large bids has the same type of loss. Doesn’t make it any easier to swallow.
I was hoping the one game this year was uri. In hindsight that seems good.

Dec 8, 2011
Can you imagine if that happened after all the mocking about the best roster ever? Especially just this week? We just got humbled real quick.
It's pretty crazy to think about. Good thing is that it's highly unlikely. It involves Richmond beating SLU, St Joes, and UMass. Also, VCU losing to either Saint Louis or Davidson; if VCU loses to Davidson, Richmond would first need Davidson and Bonaventure to split, and have Bonaventure lose to either GW or Dayton (so, Dayton). If VCU beats Davidson but loses to SLU, the only other team in the Spiders' way is SBU, who would need to lose 2 of their last 4. All that happens, looks like it's the Spiders at the top of the standings.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
Here's the other thing: based on the remaining schedule, assuming every game gets played from here until March 1, the final median number of conference games will be 12.5. 60% of that is 7.5, so any team who has played 8 conference games will be seeded based on percentage. If every remaining game is played, every team will reach the 8-game requirement.
Is that correct?
I thought LaSalle 17
Dayton & URI 16
VCU, SBU, GMU & Duquesne 14
Fordham 13

Therefore 13.5 and 60% is 8.1
Will GW have 8 or only 7? Don’t they have 5 played +pause+ 2 rescheduled?

Last edited: