VCU and Nike

Should VCU continue it's relationship with the Un-American (or very American) brand, Nike?

• Yay!

• Nay!

• I'm burning my Jordans

Results are only viewable after voting.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I am with you on protesting Nike and Adidas on slave type labor count. However, who said that one had to be a Democrat to support the kneeling protest?

Also just curious, why make yourself rules when you plan to conveniently break them whenever?

You are right on both counts.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
if our beloved RAM Warriors were to take a knee during the national anthem, I would express my freedom of speech and no longer support VCU basketball.

The armed forces have risked their lives to protect and preserve our freedoms. Thousands upon thousands have given their lives for the same.

I tried to stay away and not post...but. The Nation Anthem my friend represent the United States, NOT simply the military. That is why they call it the "National" Anthem and not the "Military" Anthem. You have been feed the propaganda and you ate it all.

The very last line of the anthem says, "Home of the free and land of the brave." In fact, it is the only line repeated in all four verses. It is the defining statement of the anthem. There are certain groups in the US who are not truly free and are at the mercy of authority. That is what people are protesting about and why they are taking a knee.

The entire song is about being brave, standing up, and fighting for that freedom. Yet when someone actually does stand up, is brave and says some of us are still not truly free, people get upset. I don't get it...you can see it all around you. You can read it in the paper every day. Just because we are freer than most does not mean we simply turn our backs, turn a blind eye and say, "Mission Accomplished - almost" so I'm satisfied. It's as good as it's gonna get. So what if some aren't really free. We are pretty close so you best not complain about it because freedom is sort of like playing horseshoe or a hand grenade....being close is good enough.

Ok, I am out again.

Mercury

Elite Member
so now I'm a bigot because I don't think VCU should align itself with a company that uses "child labor, slave wages, forced overtime, and arbitrary abuse" (quoted words are from Nike, not me) from as far back as 1998. They didn't "correct" this until caught. Turns out they didn't correct it. Perhaps they're using CK to shift the spotlight off their continued abuse of workers. but what do I know? I'm a bigot....smh

This board has been a very addictive and enjoyable habit for me for the past nine years. I think its about run its course for me. I've been called worse than bigot before by people I care about. I don't think I need to be coming back for this broad brush labeling of folks if they don't go along with the collective group think. I come here for basketball, VCU basketball, not the crap the boards have become.

Bye

Deb O

Elite Member
This thread is a microcosm of what is wrong in this country. You have one post indicating that people have a right to protest in the manner they feel best, to another post calling people bigots because of their vote. I find it to be the most offensive thing of all to make assumptions about people just because they don't agree with your point of view. That is why there is no rational discourse in this country, or apparently, on this forum. There are none so blind as those who will not see & there are none so deaf as those that will not hear. This applies to both sides of the political aisle.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
The only microcosm is that some want to argue about who is right and who is wrong. There are not many people that listen and try to understand the other side.

Last edited:

HTTRams!

Elite Member
I know for a fact there are many that no longer support Nike due to their business practices (child labor, etc.) and I respect that completely. I wanted to weed out the true bigots who no longer support Nike because they are against Kap and his message, simply so I can ignore those whack fools and go on with my day.

You literally have to be a damnnn fool to think that Kap is against the military, especially since it was an Army vet who told him to kneel to get his message across.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Elite Member
I’m sure Kap is using this Nike money to further the cause...hope he is doing more than just kneeling and making ads.

The real people making the sacrifices are the ones on the front lines of the problem working in total anonymity.

I hope he is on the way to Chicago... maybe ride with the police into these neighborhoods where young kids are getting killed at an alarming rate.

He is doing things like this…right?

I know for a fact there are many that no longer support Nike due to their business practices (child labor, etc.) and I respect that completely. I wanted to weed out the true bigots who no longer support Nike because they are against Kap and his message, simply so I can ignore those whack fools and go on with my day.

You literally have to be a damnnn fool to think that Kap is against the military, especially since it was an Army vet who told him to kneel to get his message across.

You lie.

“I know for a fact there are many that no longer support Nike due to their business practices (child labor, etc.) and I respect that completely. I wanted to weed out the true bigots who no longer support Nike because they are against Kap and his message…” post 54

By your own admission, in the post below, you don’t know who or how people voted.

“Where in the helll did you once post why you voted nay before my comment? I can’t see who voted what, yet you assumed my comment was a direct attack on you…butthurt much?” post 39

Yet at the time you posted the comment below, 15 people hand voted “nay” including myself. Why would I not assume that was a direct attack on me when 15 people had voted nay and I was one of them?

All this thread/poll is showing is that, thus far, we have 15 bigots who are members of this “forum.” Post 33

You thus concluded that I was a bigot and now are lying in post 54 about your intentions. In fact you are more than a liar. You are prejudiced. You pre-judged who I am by my vote without asking why any who voted nay voted the way they did. Then you deflect saying I was butthurt and you now actually respect my opinion after calling me a bigot. Not only are you a liar and prejudiced, you are also an a**hole. You and your “amen” brother, with the post below, are too self-absorbed that you haven’t admitted that you were wrong; instead trying to make it appear I have the problem.

“Do let the door hit you on your way out. Maybe it will knock some sense into you….Good riddance!” post 43

Not just you two, but others like you are making all the threads difficult to read. This is my final rant. I’m done.

I love VCU basketball and everything about it except for what these boards have become. I used to really enjoy these boards and appreciate those that created them in the first place; no longer. I may come back to lurk because habits are hard to break. Perhaps someone can PM me where I might find another source for my VCU fix.

Mcuff

Elite Member

Yeah I agree this whole kneeling thing has nothing to do with the military, can't stand when people make that the issue. I also can't stand when people are called bigots/racists/fools because they do not support Kap kneeling. It seems like you are letting your emotions get the better of you. If someone doesn't want to watch the NFL or buy Nikes because of Kap that alone does not make them a racist/bigot.

deadpoet

Elite Member

I've read that the very act of suggesting the opinions of an entire group of people are bigoted means you are a bigot. You just think your bigotry is justified. Many of the comments in this thread appear to be driven by anger and resentment. Just because people think Kapernick is a jacka** doesn't make them a bigot. Is Jim Brown a bigot? What if I believe Kapernick is a racist because twice he didn't vote for Obama. Does that make me a bigoted racist? I hope not. HTT please let me know. You and a few others seem to be the final authority on who is a detestable bigot, racist, etc.
I can't leave without commenting on Ram Cray's comments. Tens of millions of illegal Mexicans working in extreme heat for $3 an hour? Where is that? Are they in a furnace? Tell me how to get in touch with them. I hired a group of Hispanics last week to replace the roof on my tractor shed. I paid over $3,000! I should have talked to you first. Why am I always the last to know?

Last edited:
You lie.

“I know for a fact there are many that no longer support Nike due to their business practices (child labor, etc.) and I respect that completely. I wanted to weed out the true bigots who no longer support Nike because they are against Kap and his message…” post 54

By your own admission, in the post below, you don’t know who or how people voted.

“Where in the helll did you once post why you voted nay before my comment? I can’t see who voted what, yet you assumed my comment was a direct attack on you…butthurt much?” post 39

Yet at the time you posted the comment below, 15 people hand voted “nay” including myself. Why would I not assume that was a direct attack on me when 15 people had voted nay and I was one of them?

All this thread/poll is showing is that, thus far, we have 15 bigots who are members of this “forum.” Post 33

You thus concluded that I was a bigot and now are lying in post 54 about your intentions. In fact you are more than a liar. You are prejudiced. You pre-judged who I am by my vote without asking why any who voted nay voted the way they did. Then you deflect saying I was butthurt and you now actually respect my opinion after calling me a bigot. Not only are you a liar and prejudiced, you are also an a**hole. You and your “amen” brother, with the post below, are too self-absorbed that you haven’t admitted that you were wrong; instead trying to make it appear I have the problem.

“Do let the door hit you on your way out. Maybe it will knock some sense into you….Good riddance!” post 43

Not just you two, but others like you are making all the threads difficult to read. This is my final rant. I’m done.

I love VCU basketball and everything about it except for what these boards have become. I used to really enjoy these boards and appreciate those that created them in the first place; no longer. I may come back to lurk because habits are hard to break. Perhaps someone can PM me where I might find another source for my VCU fix.
So when will you post your next "last post"? I thought you were done