VCU and the CAA

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Former JMU coach Mickey Matthews: It's time to bring back the old CAA

“8. In my opinion, we have simply lost our way. The A-10 is not the same basketball league it was when Xavier, Temple and Butler were members. It’s not. ODU is a poor fit in Conference USA. ODU has nothing, and I mean nothing, in common with its sister institutions. Also, ODU’s athletic program is losing millions every year. It takes a lot of money to send your athletic teams to UT-San Antonio and UT-El Paso.”

While I might agree that ODU needs to leave C-USA, I don’t agree entirely with his opinion of the A10. The A10 needs to make some hard decisions about Fordham, La Salle and George Mason to improve the overall strength of the league. The A10 can also take steps to make the men’s BB tourney more accessible to fans too. I never want to see us play at Harrisonburg, Williamsburg or Wilmington again. The article is an interesting read, and he does make some points, but I think we are in a better position in the A10.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I have actually come full circle on this over the numerous conferences...and years...a “ bus league” would actually have a lot of intensity and fan interest for sure....those games in the CAA tournament against Odu/ur/Gmu were as good as any.
not exactly advocating but can see the pros when you consider the entire athletic department

Reactions: RamStrut

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Weak take from a guy that doesn't seem to know anything about college bball. I'd still much rather be in a league with Dayton, St. Louis and Davidson instead of Elon, Towson and Hofstra. Not to mention the leadership in the A10 has been a lot more proactive than the CAA and is obviously more basketball centric.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Also think about this, even if VCU, odu & gmu went back to the CAA..... where would the tourney end up being played? The CAA always tried to centrally locate (to a degree) the conference tourney (ulnike the A10 & other conferences)..... and with the Richmond Coliseum out of commission, where would we go? Williamsburg? Norfolk? Fairfax?

Feb 20, 2009
The local aspect of the CAA had fans more engaged for obvious reasons. The problem with the CAA was the league was poorly run and had a bunch of fat cats who got complacent.
The A-10 is very forward thinking and while I have no emotional interest in a game vs Duquesne the conference is the best place for VCU athletics.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Add Davidson to caa would make this more palatable.
mickey is right about P5 and football. Odu is screwed. Time to drop back to FCS

Reactions: Ramlove81

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
If that were to happen, it would be hard to imagine being able to watch many VCU games on TV anymore.

Reactions: RamStrut

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
If Fordham, GMU and LaSalle left to join the CAA, the A10 would be better. I would take Hofstra over any of those 3.
I think GMU has a lot of potential. Their stock is going to continue to go up as an overall school with the influx of Amazon and a smaller scale the Microsoft outpost going into NOVA. Maybe their new president Holton will make athletics more of a focus like Rao did here.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The local aspect of the CAA had fans more engaged for obvious reasons. The problem with the CAA was the league was poorly run and had a bunch of fat cats who got complacent.
The A-10 is very forward thinking and while I have no emotional interest in a game vs Duquesne the conference is the best place for VCU athletics.
This article has no credibility. The guy is a football coach that hasn't been in the CAA since 2013, and he's going to tell fur, fmason and VCU what's best for them? And two of those schools don't even play football! For real????????????????? And he thinks the new CAA would be a 2-3 bid league like the A-10. Based on what? VCU is just fine where they are. There is absolutely no reason for VCU to go back to the CAA and start playing down to their level of competition. It has already happened once in the history of the VCU program.

May 4, 2012
I agree in concept with the original post.
But there is no turning the clock back.
Money has changed things and not for the better.