News VCU Athletic Village

I mean there’s no secret Richmond is up and down crime wise. I thought crime was still dropping overall even if there has been spikes this year particularly violent crime. It really is something VA Beach is so safe.

JDI

Insider
Yea but Richmond built 6th street market place…so we had that going for us.

Richmond has a serious problem with crime while Virginia Beach is the safest large city in the country

wonder what the difference is?
The beach makes everybody a better person.

I mean there’s no secret Richmond is up and down crime wise. I thought crime was still dropping overall even if there has been spikes this year particularly violent crime. It really is something VA Beach is so safe.

Yea but Richmond built 6th street market place…so we had that going for us.

Richmond has a serious problem with crime while Virginia Beach is the safest large city in the country

wonder what the difference is?

Just a wild guess, but could demographics have something to do with it?

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Va. Beach is the old Princess Anne County turned city. It really has no downtown area except the resort area, much of the southern half of the city is still farm land or wooded. It's like Henrico or Chesterfield becoming a city and having 30+ miles of ocean and bay front. In other words, Va. Beach is a city in name only. It's still Princess Anne County in many ways.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Leadership
A lot of people in Va. Beach aren't overly impressed with their "leadership." Many being my family. Virginia Beach is a suburban city, it has very little urban or inner city area. It still has lots of undeveloped land even though they have pretty much given developers free reign in the city. It's like comparing Chesterfield with Richmond, apples and oranges.

Ramdog

Elite Member
guess not everybody appreciates not being shot at our having their car stolen

to each their own

Ramlove81

Elite Member
The point is Richmond is the downtown, urban center area of the metro area. Va. Beach is not, Norfolk is. Va. Beach is a suburb, if a very large one, Richmond is not. Comparing the two is far from fair.

Ramdog

Elite Member
The point is Richmond is the downtown, urban center area of the metro area. Va. Beach is not, Norfolk is. Va. Beach is a suburb, if a very large one, Richmond is not. Comparing the two is far from fair.
Norfolk has different leadership than VA Beach

not sure why behavior is accepted to be different in urban areas than suburban areas. its almost like we are making excuses instead of holding people accountable..tougher problems call for tougher solutions…some silly gun buy back program is grandstanding and will not make a dent in the soaring crime problem in Richmond

Charlotte did it the right way. They invested in infrastructure mainly building a world class airport and where Piedmont and later USAir made it a major hub. Business followed mainly the banking/financial headquarters that Richmond could have had. Stadiums and sports teams are the byproduct of that investment. To think, Richmond was probably head and shoulders above Charlotte up until the late 60's.

The next city to leave Richmond in the dust will be Greenville SC even though some of that has stalled lately.
"Leave Richmond in the dust" is one way to think of it, another way would be to say "don't NOVA my RVA" and enjoy the river, the parks, and the no traffic. Bigger isn't always better.

"Leave Richmond in the dust" is one way to think of it, another way would be to say "don't NOVA my RVA" and enjoy the river, the parks, and the no traffic. Bigger isn't always better.

Neither is a city crumbling especially in areas that were once the pride of the city. Richmond doesn’t have to aspire to be Nashville,San Diego, etc but it can definitely aspire to being more than it is. It just chooses not to. Companies and businesses see this and look elsewhere. Imagine companies if Richmond said we would love it here but please don’t mess up our traffic. Other cities ask themselves how do we accommodate the additional traffic. Same way the Richmond marathon happens one weekend a year and half the city cries about being inconvenienced for a hour. I remember even how many friends of mine b$&%h about it ruining parking in their favorite spot Saturday morning. Sorry you couldn’t park on a street for a hour while people accomplish a lifetime goal. Actually that attitude sums up why things get done. There’s no compromising. City has a very ME ME ME mentality. Same way the city yells for the counties to help funding things but then when something happens in the city the city people tell them their opinions don’t matter if you aren’t in the city. Can’t have it both ways. The counties grew tired of it and are willing to make sacrifices to improve and bring other businesses. Until the city realizes change is necessary to grow and also learns to work with the counties nothing is going to change in town.