News VCU Athletic Village

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I love Richmond. Its big enough to be a capital city for a fairly large state, yet small enough to navigate both geographically and socially. I moved here from out of state to come to VCU in 1986 and never thought about leaving. Within 6 years of living here, I knew someone who could connect me with anyone I needed to know. Try doing that in Charlotte. It has also been affordable. I never had a hard time finding a job or part time jobs to supplement my income. I found it a very easy place to thrive as a young adult and a great place to raise a family and retire.

Norfolk has different leadership than VA Beach

not sure why behavior is accepted to be different in urban areas than suburban areas. its almost like we are making excuses instead of holding people accountable..tougher problems call for tougher solutions…some silly gun buy back program is grandstanding and will not make a dent in the soaring crime problem in Richmond
I can understand frustration regarding expectations for the City of Richmond.
yes violent crime still places in Richmond in the top ten for places in Virginia but Richmond has seen a dramatic decrease in the frequency of violent crime over the past 15 years (frequency cut in half) - so the City is trying and has had good results from their efforts BUT still a ways to go and it is not because leaders nor citizens don't care -

Easy to toss rocks from afar (and yes I am sure I have done that too) but solutions to violent crime are not that easy - adding more and more police is not always correlated with violent crime reduction - longer prison sentences were done before with mixed results on recidivism (I think that is the word)

all localities would love to have the answer BUT... to me I think breakdown of family over the last 50 years is the societal problem that has vexed leaders in how to solve (but that could be off base too I admit)

as far as the voluntary gun buy back - not sure I put it in the category as grandstanding but would question the effectiveness but view this more as low hanging fruit with little proven efficacy long-term

DickLawRam

Elite Member
Yea but Richmond built 6th street market place…so we had that going for us.

Richmond has a serious problem with crime while Virginia Beach is the safest large city in the country

wonder what the difference is?

Oh stop. You know what the problem is, and to play ignorant only demeans the intelligence and dignity of your fellow posters. Virginia Beach was not always a 'large city' and would not be classified as such to this day if it were not for their desire to avoid integration and annexation (as cities cannot annex cities). Modern Virginia Beach got the blessing of consolidation with Princess Anne County in the early 1960s, which diluted the few crime ridden areas even further, along with gaining a huge swatch of buildable land and a built-in middle class (and above) tax base. Richmond has a traditional "Virginia city" story, having been conferred the benefits of the Constitution of 1902, but then hamstrung by the Byrd Machine and the subsequent 2 constitutions to deal with the scars and consequences of no annexation, white flight, urban renewal, block busting, the negative effects of Milliken v. Bradley, redlining, etc. Measuring the two together in terms of urban problems as if they were somehow congruent to begin with is intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Oh stop. You know what the problem is, and to play ignorant only demeans and the intelligence and dignity of your fellow posters. Virginia Beach was not always a 'large city' and would not be classified as such to this day if it were not for their desire to avoid integration and annexation (as cities cannot annex cities). Modern Virginia Beach got the blessing of consolidation with Princess Anne County in the early 1960s, which diluted the few crime ridden areas even further, along with gaining a huge swatch of buildable land and a built-in middle class (and above) tax base. Richmond has a traditional "Virginia city" story, having been conferred the benefits of the Constitution of 1902, but then hamstrung by the Byrd Machine and the subsequent 2 constitutions to deal with the scars and consequences of no annexation, white flight, urban renewal, block busting, the negative effects of Milliken v. Bradley, redlining, etc. Measuring the two together in terms of urban problems as if they were somehow congruent to begin with is intellectually dishonest.
Thanks DLRam, you said what I was attempting to say, but much better.

I’m willing to give the city alittle pass on crime because it is a significant city which crime is expected. I was gonna go after the leadership, city official ambition, city and leadership/police relationship but I’ve decided to think better of discussing that here

Ramdog

Elite Member
Oh stop. You know what the problem is, and to play ignorant only demeans the intelligence and dignity of your fellow posters. Virginia Beach was not always a 'large city' and would not be classified as such to this day if it were not for their desire to avoid integration and annexation (as cities cannot annex cities). Modern Virginia Beach got the blessing of consolidation with Princess Anne County in the early 1960s, which diluted the few crime ridden areas even further, along with gaining a huge swatch of buildable land and a built-in middle class (and above) tax base. Richmond has a traditional "Virginia city" story, having been conferred the benefits of the Constitution of 1902, but then hamstrung by the Byrd Machine and the subsequent 2 constitutions to deal with the scars and consequences of no annexation, white flight, urban renewal, block busting, the negative effects of Milliken v. Bradley, redlining, etc. Measuring the two together in terms of urban problems as if they were somehow congruent to begin with is intellectually dishonest.
Some of the excuses we accept for bad behavior

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Charlotte did it the right way. They invested in infrastructure mainly building a world class airport and where Piedmont and later USAir made it a major hub. Business followed mainly the banking/financial headquarters that Richmond could have had. Stadiums and sports teams are the byproduct of that investment. To think, Richmond was probably head and shoulders above Charlotte up until the late 60's.

The next city to leave Richmond in the dust will be Greenville SC even though some of that has stalled lately.

To a lesser degree, a similar situation happened with country music in the early 60s. Richmond has its chance to be Nashville, but they blew that one too.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Similar situation around Baltimore and here in Dayton. Abingdon minor league team is attractive to many, less traffic, lower priced tickets, great place to take kids and it's only 25 miles away from Camden Yards. The Dayton Dragons are 60 miles north of the parent Reds. Same kind of deal. Lots of Reds fans around here, but a lot of folks go to the Dragons. Same reasons. Of course it doesn't hurt the minor league teams when the parent club is really, really bad, like the Orioles and Reds.
Minor league baseball allow you to take the family "out to the ball game" for a lot less then going to the big leagues.

My Orioles have the best record in the American League since June 1st and are 1 game out of the wildcard, in case you haven’t been paying attention.

FYI. The Flying Squirrels pay the City of Richmond annually to use the Diamond. They don't get it for "free" like you assume. FYI - The Flying Squirrels have offered to pay $1 million annually to rent the new stadium. You are throwing stuff up against the wall to make your point that is totally false.

And regarding who pays the players, I have repeatedly stated that the San Francisco Giants pay all player related members of the Flying Squirrels. The Flying Squirrels pay for all other expenses. Go back and read my posts!

You really do need to do your homework. Also, based on your comments regarding building a new baseball stadium, I can only assume you are dead against VCU building an athletic village that is being significantly subsidized by Virginia tax dollars. Fortunately, not everyone walks in your shoes.
I've been on Vacation in Denver to see the Rockies, hence the late reply. I did my homework. The question was who owned the RS. I worded the statement poorly. You have not denied the RS players are owned by the SFG, I apologize for my mistake. I did not intend for it to be an aggressive statement. The RS is a joint business deal, with the SFGs owning the players and a Business that owns the RS name and the business operation of the team. Yes, MLB/SFG has imposed standards for its players for the RS to meet and the Diamond does not meet them. I am questioning why Richmond Gov. should be the ones to meet these standards dictated by MLB and the SFGs. Both of them are very profitable organizations. The RS business owners also have access to money. The RS & SFG will be getting the most benefit from the BB park without any $ invested. The projected cost is 80 million, which I believe will be 100 million or more. The SFG will dictate all the amenities needed. The RS paying 1 million a year will not cover the cost involved, that should be very clear. Where is the rest of the required money to come from to meet the 80–100-million-dollar commitment by Richmond taxpayers? VCU will contribute some for their use of it. Concerts will provide some more $. As I mentioned in a previous post there is the opportunity cost for the city and the fans of the RS. The Fan who has $100, can decide to go to a RS game, or other options exist for where he could spend the $100. (ie. Dining at a restaurant, a play, local band, donate to a charity) Richmond also has similar options to invest in. A business certainty considers these when making investment decisions and the city should also. Many posters have stated the city does not do a good job finically. Based on history, why should I think a new ballpark will be different? I never stated the RS got it for free and never assumed it, as I read several articles about it before posting. That's where I found the 80 million projected cost. Please see the article I previous posted on the subject. If the investment in a new ballpark is going to be profitable, them IMO the SFG and RS should fund the building of the ballpark. They could sell shares to diehard RS fans to help fund it. This would be beneficial to the city and the taxpayers without any investment, except for infrastructure improvements needed. I think the citizens of Richmond should vote on whether the city should commit to the ballpark. Is there really a valid reason that requires a city to have a BB team & Ballpark? It's public vs private for the VCU AV so different factors are involved. Have a good day.