News VCU Athletic Village

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
What was incorrect? They ratified the amendment.
I quoted myself because this is incorrect. Ha! I was talking about the Civil Rights Act. I think it was understandable. VRam caught that mistake but if Elvis is still alive maybe Abe Lincoln was still around in the 1960s.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I quoted myself because this is incorrect. Ha! I was talking about the Civil Rights Act. I think it was understandable. VRam caught that mistake but if Elvis is still alive maybe Abe Lincoln was still around in the 1960s.
Lenin certainly was.

giphy.gif

t23e3

Elite Member
Integration of Richmond public schools also helped to drive white flight to the suburbs. Busing, etc.

But there is a long, long history leading up to that, where Richmond became land locked, wealth was transferred to the counties. The City of Richmond and Counties of Henrico and Chesterfield (to a lesser extent, but not insignificant, Hanover, Goochland, Dinwiddie, PG, New Kent) may have all been better off with a larger regional government (authority with some teeth to it) to coordinate the growth and wellbeing of the whole metro area. IMHO the constant competition between them has not been good for any of them.
Considering what the city leadership is like these days I think the counties are quite fine with how things turned out. Also who’s to say those areas would be a priority if they were part of the city? Also who’s to say the city doesn’t block projects the sections want to do like they do right now to the city? The only improvement if you want to call it that is everyone works together. Honestly I see clashing though if that had happened. Having the city rule on something that affects say goochland only makes no sense. I think honestly the last few years would be making the counties grateful they are separate. They are actively working on development, school systems, infrastructure, etc to entice more people to them. It’s most definitely working and honestly I think covid and some events in the city have definitely pushed more toward the counties. Sure the counties developed slower but now they are growing and in full ahead mode without any city interference. Heck how many people here alone left for the counties to get away from the city? I bet quite a few. People wanted a quieter life and a more active county.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Considering what the city leadership is like these days I think the counties are quite fine with how things turned out. Also who’s to say those areas would be a priority if they were part of the city? Also who’s to say the city doesn’t block projects the sections want to do like they do right now to the city? The only improvement if you want to call it that is everyone works together. Honestly I see clashing though if that had happened. Having the city rule on something that affects say goochland only makes no sense. I think honestly the last few years would be making the counties grateful they are separate. They are actively working on development, school systems, infrastructure, etc to entice more people to them. It’s most definitely working and honestly I think covid and some events in the city have definitely pushed more toward the counties. Sure the counties developed slower but now they are growing and in full ahead mode without any city interference. Heck how many people here alone left for the counties to get away from the city? I bet quite a few. People wanted a quieter life and a more active county.
Granted you described the present well. I still think, even between counties now (it's been a while but some people I knew in eastern Goochland didn't want Henrico's suburban sprawl encroaching on them), that some over arching entity with all parties well represented would be good for the whole area. The area could: use a new airport, a nice regional arena (looks like that's happening, but 15+ years overdue), a well coordinated public transportation system... Some kind of regional authority would work better for this than all of the municipalities competing with each other and none of them, most of the time, being able to go big enough for the region by themselves. The animosity of the counties for the city is not new, it was alive and well when I moved to Richmond in 1973.

Granted you described the present well. I still think, even between counties now (it's been a while but some people I knew in eastern Goochland didn't want Henrico's suburban sprawl encroaching on them), that some over arching entity with all parties well represented would be good for the whole area. The area could: use a new airport, a nice regional arena (looks like that's happening, but 15+ years overdue), a well coordinated public transportation system... Some kind of regional authority would work better for this than all of the municipalities competing with each other and none of them, most of the time, being able to go big enough for the region by themselves. The animosity of the counties for the city is not new, it was alive and well when I moved to Richmond in 1973.

Again in theory if all counties were on the same wavelength that would work but they aren’t. If the counties and city were together what happens if the counties wanted a new arena and the city people didn’t? Stalemate. The counties have put a real focus on education with their spending and that paid off with some of the best schools in VA (and country) in the counties. What if city people didn’t agree with money to all the schools of the Richmond region? Again it would’ve great if counties and city worked together but if they were all under the same umbrella there would be major clashing as all the areas envision different goals for themselves. So you’d have to have a govt address the needs of each section. The city leadership has issues with just the city. I can’t imagine them overseeing all of central va. I mean it’s not like we’re all sitting here praising city leaders as trailblazers or even remotely active. In fact the argument usually is why are the same leaders there if people oppose the city leaders so much? Plus let’s be honest do we really think equal representation would be given if central VA was all one county? No the city would likely give preference to itself and the suburbs/rural areas would be second banana. The fact that when the city has asked to collaborate with the counties they offer nothing back to them in return if co funding tells you what the city thinks of the counties. The city doesn’t see the counties as partners.

Love2Ram

Elite Member
Insider
Call me ol' grumpy, but I get bat poop crazy driving down Brook Rd behind someone doing 20mph and I can't pass them due to the stupid bike lanes (forgive me if you are a biking enthusiast) that I never see an actual bike using. If you bikers really want to have some fun bike down Studley Road in Hanover at rush hour like some do. I know of some people (my wife hehe) who will not drive on Broad anymore due to the bus lanes.
Anyway, my musings on a hot Monday afternoon......
Take a deep breath, tilt your steering wheel a few degrees and pass safely. IT'S FREAKING EASY! Anyone who allows themself to get bat poop crazy at the sight of an individual lawfully operating a bicycle has deep issues and should consider seeking help. I cycle 1000s of miles a year and operate multiple vehicles without any issues whatsoever. Seek help if you need to but the animosity towards cyclists by a handful of motorists is ridiculous.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Take a deep breath, tilt your steering wheel a few degrees and pass safely. IT'S FREAKING EASY! Anyone who allows themself to get bat poop crazy at the sight of an individual lawfully operating a bicycle has deep issues and should consider seeking help. I cycle 1000s of miles a year and operate multiple vehicles without any issues whatsoever. Seek help if you need to but the animosity towards cyclists by a handful of motorists is ridiculous.
If you read my post closely, my issue is not with the biker.

PS. I have no animosity towards bikers, I was one once myself. I live on the back roads of Hanover and pass several bikers weekly on Studley Road, quite safely thank you. But again, Studley Road is would not be my choice to ride a bike, especially between 4-6pm.