News VCU Athletic Village

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
sounds like they are envisioning one heck of a tennis facility there when it's all done!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
ever been to a track and field meet that VCU participated in over the past 5 years?

(my point in my comment though not articulated well was that t&f has no general public interest, whereas softball would actually have fans that were not solely family members )

yes we do have good t&f teams that win championships at a conference level because very few schools put any real money into track and field in the A10 - we rarely ever compete on a national level (may have few athletes that make regionals but rare to have any that make nationals - have had a few over the years)

and yes I know it ain't gonna happen
I've been to a few over the years as I had friends who ran track at VCU.

And if we're gonna go strictly based on attendance at events.... I guess we might as well get rid of WBB, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Tennis, Golf (who half the time their matches aren't even near by anyway)... um what else?

Also think bout this... if we get rid of T&F... to add Softball.... would it be both Mens & Women's Softball teams or just women? Because if we get rid of Mens & Women's T&F... while Softball might replace the Womens side.... what replaces the mens? Because we have to have equal #'s of scholarships for teams for both Mens & Women's sports.

Also I'm pretty sure VCU has had SEVERAL students over the last 5-10 years who have done well on an NCAA level, not just the A10 level.

This thought is way off base... and certainly not fully thought out.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
sounds like they are envisioning one heck of a tennis facility there when it's all done!

This is the last thing I saw. 12 outdoor and 6 indoor courts.

872C543A-1D44-4B3A-8EF7-CA7C03F22259.jpeg

You can see it at the top of this overall image of the Diamond District and Athletic Village.

D632D2C8-F0AD-4950-A2E3-D986602C2A32.jpeg

Does anyone have a higher resolution picture of the Athletic Village itself than what’s above and this one below?

B6A90078-57EE-4CD1-862F-0F500293D7BB.jpeg

Mercury

Elite Member
I guess this fits here. I made a small donation to the RAF today and got a call thanking me within a couple hours of the donation.

I know there are folks who say they don't care about the small fish but it does seem like they are making strides to make all feel appreciated.

Hopefully the fund raising for the village goes smooth.

I messaged to ED about WakeMed soccer stadium being something VCU should look at and he said he loved that place. I’ll remain optimistic.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I guess this fits here. I made a small donation to the RAF today and got a call thanking me within a couple hours of the donation.

I know there are folks who say they don't care about the small fish but it does seem like they are making strides to make all feel appreciated.

Hopefully the fund raising for the village goes smooth.
$2.5 million? ;)

The kickers seem very committed to city stadium and we seem very committed to not being there.

It does seem like it would make more sense for the kickers to come to the boulevard and figure out a cool new use for city stadium but maybe the kickers want to stay there in part because it allows them so much opportunity for growth. You could easily have a 20k soccer specific stadium there some day.

That and the city would redevelop it immediately if they thought of leaving which the areas around hate that idea. They are fine with the kickers even if it causes some traffic on game day. They hate the redevelopment ideas the city throws out occasionally.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Also think bout this... if we get rid of T&F... to add Softball.... would it be both Mens & Women's Softball teams or just women? Because if we get rid of Mens & Women's T&F... while Softball might replace the Womens side.... what replaces the mens? Because we have to have equal #'s of scholarships for teams for both Mens & Women's sports.

There is no NCAA sanctioned men's softball. Miller Lite and Bud Light are the only entities that sanction men's softball.

Regarding replacing men's T&F, VCU does not have to mirror each sport they fund. Title IX looks at total men's sports vs. total women's sports. Title IX does not break it down by sport. VCU funds sports now that are not offered to the other gender. E.g. Baseball, golf, volleyball, field hockey.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I messaged to ED about WakeMed soccer stadium being something VCU should look at and he said he loved that place. I’ll remain optimistic.
That would be amazing, but I can’t imagine we’ll actually build a 10,000 seat soccer stadium. Maybe it can be built in such a way that expanding to that would be possible.