News VCU Athletic Village

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The kickers seem very committed to city stadium and we seem very committed to not being there.

It does seem like it would make more sense for the kickers to come to the boulevard and figure out a cool new use for city stadium but maybe the kickers want to stay there in part because it allows them so much opportunity for growth. You could easily have a 20k soccer specific stadium there some day.
I think they’re committed to City Stadium because they don’t have a better option.

I don’t see the city or anyone else building a new 20k seat stadium where City Stadium is if VCU already has a new place built.

As it is, City Stadium is a dump now. One entire side isn’t even stable enough for fans to sit on. I go to a lot of Kickers games and would love to shift over to watching games in a 10k seat VCU stadium in the Athletic Village.

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider
I’m guessing it’s not in the cards but a dedicated soccer field with no track around it would be awesome. Soccer is a big draw in Richmond and with our friends at ur getting rid of it, we’re the only college ticket in town.

To have a dedicated soccer facility where fans can be right up on the action would be a good introduction to VCU and VCU athletics to a large portion of Richmond transplants who are soccer fans but not as familiar with the school.
Track is getting its own facility in the village, separate from the soccer facility.

That would be amazing, but I can’t imagine we’ll actually build a 10,000 seat soccer stadium. Maybe it can be built in such a way that expanding to that would be possible.

5-6K at max maybe with expansion ability. Plus you can always have grass area like current where people can sit. That’s what UVA has. People can sit out on beach towel or beach chairs.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
5-6K at max maybe with expansion ability. Plus you can always have grass area like current where people can sit. That’s what UVA has. People can sit out on beach towel or beach chairs.
10k would definitely be overkill. Even 5-6k probably would be.

UNC‘s field for men’s and women’s soccer and men’s and women’s lacrosse only seats 4200 and they’ve won 32 national championships in those 4 sports. It is a really nice stadium though.

Pre-Covid in 2019, the Kickers’ average attendance was 3468. They attract more for certain games and could probably increase their average with a nicer facility, so 5-6k would be about right for them if they wanted to play there.

I think they’re committed to City Stadium because they don’t have a better option.

I don’t see the city or anyone else building a new 20k seat stadium where City Stadium is if VCU already has a new place built.

As it is, City Stadium is a dump now. One entire side isn’t even stable enough for fans to sit on. I go to a lot of Kickers games and would love to shift over to watching games in a 10k seat VCU stadium in the Athletic Village.

I would agree Kickers moving there would be great but two things

1. What effect will that have traffic/parking wise if both sport teams are playing?

2. Currently The Red Army is a lively group that sets off smoke bombs and gets a bit wild. I don’t see that going well in VCU’s stadium. Kickers are t gonna want to alienate its supporters group.

10k would definitely be overkill. Even 5-6k probably would be.

UNC‘s field for men’s and women’s soccer and men’s and women’s lacrosse only seats 4200 and they’ve won 32 national championships in those 4 sports. It is a really nice stadium though.

Yeah I mean as long as it’s a decent size we should be good. A good European style stadium maybe even with a mini roof over sections would be amazing. That traps noise and makes the stadiums so loud even being small. Imagine that with metal stands? The atmosphere will be fantastic.

With even a modest investment at VCU, track and field can become a really good sport and possibly be competitive at the national level. And the facilities build for it can be used for other purposes and by the general student population.
we have had control/ management of one of the best tracks for 20 years at SportsBackers stadium - VCU athletics has done a lot to make it available to general student population (you know they haven't!! other than to make it NON accessible to students )

VCU has made limited efforts to host regional and state high school meets there over the past number of years-(though I can remember VCU doing this 10 years ago often) have a hard time remembering the last major college t&f meet vcu hosted (I exclude the a10 championship meet since that is a conference event that only a few schools could host ) so I am skeptical of using it for other purposes

the typical meet vcu hosted at sports backers in the last 5 years involved va union, va state JMU and maybe a few other low D1 schools - neither a glowing testament to the importance VCU AD places this sport or testament to wanting to use an excellent track with a decent capacity - but running major track meets requires money and VCU does not have a willingness to spend such on T&F, nor are there any T&F donors or oorporate sponsors with any interest in supporting T&F at a VCU level

do you really think VCU Athletics is gonna change what they have been doing in allocating budgetary support for T&F to pump up those funds to compete beyond the A10 level and recruit athletes that will compete at NCAA nationals

heck we had one of the country's best men's tennis program 20-30 years ago under a young Paul Kostin and we could not invest in keeping them a top national competitor with even modest tennis facilities enhancements at that time

hey I get it - T&F athletes work hard and toil in anonymity for the most part - no interest in disparaging their effort and dedication

go rams

Yeah, pretty sure that at this point, The track and field teams would love a place to practice and call their own.
we have had sports backers stadium for 20 years which has an excellent track to practice on (only deficiency was an area for javelin, discus because I am sure soccer did not want T&F using soccer pitch)

if your point is indoor season than ok - field house will provide opportunity if they add track in it (though It will not be banked for 200- 800 meter work)

Whatever your thought process may be, you really drove it home by saying "let's also add women's golf"

Now that's a TRUE spectator sport if I've ever heard of one lol. (The sport in general, doesn't matter who is playing it.)
no doubt little interest in spectators in golf (though I have watched our tourney a few times over the last 5 years - the golf course is crickets) wasn't good to include that when I was talking about T&f having no fan appeal

adding women's golf was just my way of saying if men have a golf team we should add women
VCU had womens golf for a number of years but there were so few women interested in playing then it was exceptionally hard for vcu to have a competitive women golf team

now the number of women playing very good golf at the junior stage (and in high school where most have to play on the mens team) have grown dramatically over the last 10+ years and VCU could field a good team that could compete regionally (doubt nationally) with similar funding for our mens program

go rams

I’m a softball fan but this is the absolute dumbest idea ever suggested for adding it.
curiousity question why?

is it thought of dropping T&F or is it the cost of building all new dedicated track facilities and operating the T&F program is a better investment in your mind than building an all new softball stadium and operating the women's softball program

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
do you really think VCU Athletics is gonna change what they have been doing in allocating budgetary support for T&F to pump up those funds to compete beyond the A10 level and recruit athletes that will compete at NCAA nationals

Maybe you should do your research before you throw a particular sport under the bus. Jon Riley has done a remarkable job at VCU considering the resources VCU has provided him. FYI - The T&F teams were not fully funded, scholarship wise, by VCU until two years ago, and yet they have been a borderline top 25 team. The T&F teams also have not had a place to practice indoors during the winter. Pretty hard to compete on a national level when you have to use the inner concourse of the Stu as a practice running track during the winter, yet Coach Riley has had VCU at the top of the A-10 each and every year and also had student athletes compete at the national level. Coach Riley now has better financial resources to compete against the top schools in the country. And I may be wrong, but T&F may have been the last sport for VCU to fully fund when it comes to scholarships.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
no doubt little interest in spectators in golf (though I have watched our tourney a few times over the last 5 years - the golf course is crickets) wasn't good to include that when I was talking about T&f having no fan appeal

adding women's golf was just my way of saying if men have a golf team we should add women
VCU had womens golf for a number of years but there were so few women interested in playing then it was exceptionally hard for vcu to have a competitive women golf team

now the number of women playing very good golf at the junior stage (and in high school where most have to play on the mens team) have grown dramatically over the last 10+ years and VCU could field a good team that could compete regionally (doubt nationally) with similar funding for our mens program

go rams

First, they call them non-revenue sports for a reason. And that applies to EVERY NCAA school in the country, not just VCU.

Regarding women's golf, the mid-Atlantic region does not provide enough women's golfers now that are NCAA competitive. Of course VCU could load up on players from Korea, China and Japan to field a team. :roll:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
curiousity question why?

is it thought of dropping T&F or is it the cost of building all new dedicated track facilities and operating the T&F program is a better investment in your mind than building an all new softball stadium and operating the women's softball program
My bet is that T&F and it’s facilities would be MUCH more valuable for leveraging a move to the Big East than softball.

Between the Athletic Village, the baseball stadium and Diamond District, and Green City, plus the improvements to both the academic and medical campuses, VCU will have everything it needs.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
The women's team is an extremely effective way to balance out some Title IX metrics. The men's team is along for the ride imo. You have 1 set of coaches, 1 facility and 3 sports (Indoor, Outdoor and Cross country, both M and W). There is very little travelling and few meets (no dual meets against each conference school) - just a couple of invitationals and post season. Its mostly training. There will never be good gate revenue, but alums of the track program from my generation are pretty good donors.

Also think bout this... if we get rid of T&F... to add Softball.... would it be both Mens & Women's Softball teams or just women? Because if we get rid of Mens & Women's T&F... while Softball might replace the Womens side.... what replaces the mens? Because we have to have equal #'s of scholarships for teams for both Mens & Women's sports.

Also I'm pretty sure VCU has had SEVERAL students over the last 5-10 years who have done well on an NCAA level, not just the A10 level.

This thought is way off base... and certainly not fully thought out.
first we have had two women in past 10 years compete at NCAA nationals (neither in the last five years) Kiera Porter (400m) and Ms Williams (i think shot put or discus)
we have had no men compete in the NCAA nationals in the last 10 years

I won't go into the scholarship issues on the numbers or number of sports since Wolfpack Ram in #373 already explained that a little

would be interesting to know how many scholarships VCU awards to Men and Women in T&F - would shine a light on how much VCU AD values T&F to see if we are awarding the full cadre of scholarships the NCAA allows
nCaa allows 18 for women's T&F and cross country and 12.6 for men's T&F and cross country (Cross country linked with T&F because of the likelihood best cross country runners on scholarship also run distance races for T&F)
softball allows 12

I do appreciate these forums and the value of each expressing their opinions

go rams