News VCU Athletic Village

ShootTheJay

Elite Member
We should not be eliminating any sports. Period. I agree each sports if we can have a dedicated space for practice/games. There are a lot of regional & state championships that VCU can provide stadium space for high schools.

I remember working at the diamond in the late 80's, VCU played there of course, but it also held the ODAC conference tournament. I sure the diamond made some nice money for the rental of the space.

Sounds like recruiting opportunities to me. Not only for athletes, but for thousands of kids and families to come through and get a chance to say to themselves, "Huh.... VCU is kinda cool"

SteveMM

Elite Member
Higher Ed seems to have become one giant ponzi scheme

It is, particularly with private schools. Their tuitions are ridiculously high, but they cut the cost down to public school level by giving out $25K/year scholarships. Then, when the student graduates, they hit them up HARD for money to put in their endowment, which then pays for the next round of scholarships.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
VMI is very aggressive about recruiting post grad donations. I know Hampden Sydney is as well, but not nearly as aggressive as VMI. Funny, that these are prolly the biggest “old boy network” schools in the Commonwealth.
Of course VMI is not private.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
VMI is very aggressive about recruiting post grad donations. I know Hampden Sydney is as well, but not nearly as aggressive as VMI. Funny, that these are prolly the biggest “old boy network” schools in the Commonwealth.
Of course VMI is not private.
Those schools do a great job on engaging there alums after they donate. There is a strong network of ride or die folks from these schools. A lot of these alums will do anything for there former classmates and school -and it shows. I do not get the same feeling at VCU. in my opinion it is getting worse university wide. Sure there are a lot of development people asking for money. But other than that I am invisible to VCU. And there have been a couple of times I really could have used there assistance the past couple of years.
Now if I need something from UR or UVA or W&M, i just call a connected alum from there school and I have immediate answers and usually resolution to my inquiry.
VCU is slowly losing my support and commitment and they only have themselves to blame.

Mercury

Elite Member
VCU has 205k living alum (pulled from Annual report) and 7,916 RAF(pulled from the "My RAF Ranking" link) members. While I know not all will want to donate to athletics the % is alarmingly low. The alumni association does way better job of bringing folks together and staying connected with the university.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
VCU has 205k living alum (pulled from Annual report) and 7,916 RAF(pulled from the "My RAF Ranking" link) members. While I know not all will want to donate to athletics the % is alarmingly low. The alumni association does way better job of bringing folks together and staying connected with the university.
Especially when you factor in that there are also people who have no direct ties (Alumni, Family member of an Alumni, or otherwise) to VCU outside of buying season tickets who are also season ticket holders/RAF donors as well.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
A lot of those donors pre-date when VCU basketball became popular and VCU has a lot of students that just don’t care about sports.

Also, not having football will cut down on donors. It’s much more of a fan friendly sport with larger stadiums, cheaper ticket options, tailgating, other gameday experiences, and weekend games in the fall.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

That's because the Alumni Association better understands their alumni base than the athletic department understands their fan/donor base. And I can tell you first hand, the Alumni Association treats their donors with a lot more respect than the athletic department treats its RAF members. The Alumni Association is focused on all donors vs. the athletic department only wanting to focus on the top 10% of the RAF.

Two different models and two different levels of success.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Development is an opportunity across the board for VCU. I know we moved beyond the “commuter school” tag to something a little more comprehensive, but serving commuter students is still a big part of the university mission. There is a lot of evidence out there that commuters don’t generally have the same connectivity to the broader university experience, even as graduates and their donation rates tend to be smaller.

It would be interesting to see alumni donation rates broken by those who attended as “traditional“ students, vs those that would identify as strictly commuters, then perhaps have differing strategies for engagement/ soliciting donations.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Development is an opportunity across the board for VCU. I know we moved beyond the “commuter school” tag to something a little more comprehensive, but serving commuter students is still a big part of the university mission. There is a lot of evidence out there that commuters don’t generally have the same connectivity to the broader university experience, even as graduates and their donation rates tend to be smaller.

It would be interesting to see alumni donation rates broken by those who attended as “traditional“ students, vs those that would identify as strictly commuters, then perhaps have differing strategies for engagement/ soliciting donations.

It'd be cool to see the break down of RAF donors/MBB Season Ticket Holders too.

How many of them attended VCU (whether they graduated or not.... I think there's a certain number of credits or something that technically qualifies you as an alum, even if you did not receive a degree... not sure the exact number).

How many of them have family members who were Alums or Season ticket Holders of VCU.

And how many of the donors/season ticket holders have no direct connection to VCU at all besides being season ticket holders/donors.... (a friend got them into coming to VCU games, or they jumped on the bandwagon after the Dagger / Final 4 years, or some other reason).

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

VCU has over 6,000 students living on campus. And that doesn't include those that live in apartments in neighborhoods surrounding the campus. That's more than enough "traditional" student base to pull from for future RAF members. VCU athletics is missing the boat big time if the RAF membership is less than 8,000. Yes, RAF membership can be inhibited by the size of the Stu, but this administration does not have any plan in place to grow RAF membership from the bottom up.

At NC State, all graduating seniors get a one year free membership to the Wolfpack Club. I doubt the cost for that membership is very much for NC State outside of a window decal and quarterly magazine. How many of those graduates do you think NC State hooks for long term membership? Even if it is only 10%, that's significant annual growth. The current VCU athletic administration does not have that type of vision.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
VCU has over 6,000 students living on campus. And that doesn't include those that live in apartments in neighborhoods surrounding the campus. That's more than enough "traditional" student base to pull from for future RAF members. VCU athletics is missing the boat big time if the RAF membership is less than 8,000. Yes, RAF membership can be inhibited by the size of the Stu, but this administration does not have any plan in place to grow RAF membership from the bottom up.

At NC State, all graduating seniors get a one year free membership to the Wolfpack Club. I doubt the cost for that membership is very much for NC State outside of a window decal and quarterly magazine. How many of those graduates do you think NC State hooks for long term membership? Even if it is only 10%, that's significant annual growth. The current VCU athletic administration does not have that type of vision.
And not only are they not bringing in newer younger donors at the rate like you described.... they seemingly find more ways to make more longer tenured donors/season ticket holders decide to give up their season tickets/stop donating (even prior to covid).

It's almost like the motto "Out with the old, In with the New"... except there's not enough "New" to replace/cover/compensate for the "old"

PhantomRam

Elite Member
... except there's not enough "New" to replace/cover/compensate for the "old"
In my business I work with a number of high school kids, though it is a small sample to have any meaning whatsoever, I do notice that they have little interest in sports overall. Am I also seeing a trend whereas the 22-30 yo's that I work with are only interested in sports from a gambling perspective, thank you Draft Kings. So I am inclined to agree that it will become increasing difficult to build fan support based on the new students.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I am a commuter student graduate of VCU. I know we pride ourselves these days in not being a commuter school anymore. Yet, there is a lot of good still in serving those commuters.
I got a good education in the combination of JS Reynolds CC and then VCU that I could not have afforded otherwise.
Financially, living on campus was not an option. Sometimes going full time was not an option.
I actually liked taking classes at nigh. I was often in classes with people older than I was and who quite frankly took their education more seriously than a lot of the younger people I knew.
I did not enter VCU (even after JRRCC) as a good student, but I left VCU in 1981 as a good student. Went on to get a masters.
Here's the thing with RAF. Not once since graduating in 1981 has RAF reached out to me to become involved. Not once!
I only know it exists at all because of my involvement on this forum.
I think there is a lot of work to do.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The Alumni Association is a lifetime membership for a pretty small amount of money. Comparing that to RAF donors is like comparing apples to automobiles.