News VCU Athletic Village

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
In my business I work with a number of high school kids, though it is a small sample to have any meaning whatsoever, I do notice that they have little interest in sports overall. Am I also seeing a trend whereas the 22-30 yo's that I work with are only interested in sports from a gambling perspective, thank you Draft Kings. So I am inclined to agree that it will become increasing difficult to build fan support based on the new students.
True.... and since you can't gamble on any Virginia sports teams (not sure if that's only if you're a VA resident, or if its anywhere that gambling is legal in the US or w/e).... that also will affect your audiences... because now instead of fans being able to bet on the games (like you can an NFL game or NBA games or others), which might lead people to come to games if they got a good bet on a game.... now those type of sports/sports betting fans.... have zero vested interest in the games.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
In my business I work with a number of high school kids, though it is a small sample to have any meaning whatsoever, I do notice that they have little interest in sports overall. Am I also seeing a trend whereas the 22-30 yo's that I work with are only interested in sports from a gambling perspective, thank you Draft Kings. So I am inclined to agree that it will become increasing difficult to build fan support based on the new students.

You have to at least try, and this administration has no desire to even attempt to attract a younger donor base. Considering the size of the base population graduating from VCU each year, even a 5% recruitment/retention of that base by the RAF would add significant numbers to the RAF membership. Even a 1% recruitment/retention of the on campus student base would add 60+ new members to the RAF each and every year.

Here's a thought. What does this athletic administration do to bridge graduating Rowdy Rams over to the RAF? You already have an interested base to grow your RAF membership from. Make the best of it. Every one of those graduating Rowdy Rams should be given a one year free membership to the RAF with points equal to the minimum giving level. If they choose to actually donate on top of that, then those points should be awarded on top of the free one year membership. This is not rocket science, and ED should know how to make this work since he has had two of his own kids go to Clemson and should have seen how IPTAY works at Clemson.

Step one is wanting to grow the membership from the bottom up. VCU athletics has to clear that hurdle first before any of the rest can happen.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
True.... and since you can't gamble on any Virginia sports teams (not sure if that's only if you're a VA resident, or if its anywhere that gambling is legal in the US or w/e).... that also will affect your audiences... because now instead of fans being able to bet on the games (like you can an NFL game or NBA games or others), which might lead people to come to games if they got a good bet on a game.... now those type of sports/sports betting fans.... have zero vested interest in the games.
You can’t bet on college teams in your own state in most (perhaps all) states. It’s not a Virginia thing.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Here's the thing with RAF. Not once since graduating in 1981 has RAF reached out to me to become involved. Not once!
I only know it exists at all because of my involvement on this forum.
I think there is a lot of work to do.

And that is precisely my point. The current athletic administration has no vision when it comes to growing the RAF from the bottom up. And that starts with Ed.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
You can’t bet on college teams in your own state in most (perhaps all) states. It’s not a Virginia thing.
Ok, wasn't sure the exact ruling on that cause I haven't gotten into the whole sports betting thing except the occasional betting $20 on a game or something with a friend.

But yeah so if you live in VA & can't bet on any VA games.... for those types of sports / sports betting fans.... they got zero vested interest in going to games.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
The RAF has a difficult time even communicating with current donors. I get more information on what is happening in the athletic department from here than I do thru the RAF. From a few posts on here this fall, it seems like this is the first year they reached out to recently dropped off RAF members. I have a hard time imagining a worse way to run a donor society that the way the RAF has operated the past 5 or 6 years. Broken promises, broken contracts, little appreciation to donors, diminishing benefits, escalated pricing, worst seat selection despite declining numbers... It has been awful. I am hoping they have finally started to change and do things a little more ethically.
The way they play this next re-seating is going to be very important to how the RAF grows or decreases in size.

Mercury

Elite Member
I do think having a benefit level for those who want to/can only donate under $250 would go a long way. The VCU RAF may not be interested in the guy who can only chip in $100 but getting folks in the door is the best way to grow the donor base.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
They got in touch with me about ticket options because I opened an email blast they sent. No one ever reached out prior to that, so perhaps recent returns are promising.

rvaram

Elite Member
I know I’m veering into dangerous waters here but the perception by a lot of alums out there is that not only VCU students but now VCU admins have a political viewpoint that’s to the left of Chavez. It’s running people off. It’s easy to just say good riddance but for the sort of money we need to operate top notch facilities we need a big tent approach.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
The RAF has a difficult time even communicating with current donors. I get more information on what is happening in the athletic department from here than I do thru the RAF. From a few posts on here this fall, it seems like this is the first year they reached out to recently dropped off RAF members. I have a hard time imagining a worse way to run a donor society that the way the RAF has operated the past 5 or 6 years. Broken promises, broken contracts, little appreciation to donors, diminishing benefits, escalated pricing, worst seat selection despite declining numbers... It has been awful. I am hoping they have finally started to change and do things a little more ethically.
The way they play this next re-seating is going to be very important to how the RAF grows or decreases in size.
And what makes it baffling is.... the last 5-6 years the attendance has been gradually dropping, and the drop offs have seemingly gotten bigger & bigger (and obviously I'm not counting the attendance during the year only 250 people could attend).

It's not like we made another Final 4 Run or won a Nat'l champ. or anything that would warrant these kind of moves. It's not like after the Final 4 run where we were the hot ticket in town & everyone wanted to come.

If that were the case & the demand was higher than the supply... then some of these crazy moves they've made over the last 5-6 moves would make more sense.... cause you could argue "oh there's bigger money being left on the table" but there are little to no signs to this point over the past 5-6 years that would point to that.

They're more worried bout price gauging the loyal long time donors & taking any & every hard earn dollar they can get from us... then they are worried about keeping fans in the stands & keeping the STU an electric environment & a place that people want to come see games.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I know I’m veering into dangerous waters here but the perception by a lot of alums out there is that not only VCU students but now VCU admins have a political viewpoint that’s to the left of Chavez. It’s running people off. It’s easy to just say good riddance but for the sort of money we need to operate top notch facilities we need a big tent approach.
I don't think that's an accurate perception, and I agree about needing a big tent.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
And what makes it baffling is.... the last 5-6 years the attendance has been gradually dropping, and the drop offs have seemingly gotten bigger & bigger (and obviously I'm not counting the attendance during the year only 250 people could attend).

It's not like we made another Final 4 Run or won a Nat'l champ. or anything that would warrant these kind of moves. It's not like after the Final 4 run where we were the hot ticket in town & everyone wanted to come.

If that were the case & the demand was higher than the supply... then some of these crazy moves they've made over the last 5-6 moves would make more sense.... cause you could argue "oh there's bigger money being left on the table" but there are little to no signs to this point over the past 5-6 years that would point to that.

They're more worried bout price gauging the loyal long time donors & taking any & every hard earn dollar they can get from us... then they are worried about keeping fans in the stands & keeping the STU an electric environment & a place that people want to come see games.
I have mentioned this before but a lot of people that would go to a game or two a season in the past still think that tickets are impossible to get and don't even bother to try. They never knew a time when you could walk up to the ticket window on game day and buy a ticket. Many years every ticket was sold out before opening night. I know they run ads and stuff but there has to be a way to get the word out that tickets are available.

Last edited:

Mercury

Elite Member
I have mentioned this before but a lot of people that would go to a game or to a season in the past still think that tickets are impossible to get and don't even bother to try. They never knew a time when you could walk up to the ticket window on game day and buy a ticket. Many years every ticket was sold out before opening night. I know they run ads and stuff but there has to be a way to get the word out that tickets are available.

I wonder if the AD considers this perceived lack of supply as a benefit or a problem.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
VCU has over 6,000 students living on campus. And that doesn't include those that live in apartments in neighborhoods surrounding the campus. That's more than enough "traditional" student base to pull from for future RAF members. VCU athletics is missing the boat big time if the RAF membership is less than 8,000. Yes, RAF membership can be inhibited by the size of the Stu, but this administration does not have any plan in place to grow RAF membership from the bottom up.

At NC State, all graduating seniors get a one year free membership to the Wolfpack Club. I doubt the cost for that membership is very much for NC State outside of a window decal and quarterly magazine. How many of those graduates do you think NC State hooks for long term membership? Even if it is only 10%, that's significant annual growth. The current VCU athletic administration does not have that type of vision.
I think you and I are generally aligned. There is plenty to work with and the university and AD should do a much better job with alums of all varieties.

Mainly, we do have to discount figures like 205K addressable alumni, because many of those have a very different experience and varying degrees of attachment to the U. It would not be the same as 205k UVa alums.

its not a knock on the U, it‘s just a fact of our quirky heritage and unique path to being a notable, comprehensive, university.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Oh i gamble on every single VCU game, so it’s Commonwealth of Virginia thing.