News VCU Athletic Village

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I think you and I are generally aligned. There is plenty to work with and the university and AD should do a much better job with alums of all varieties.

Mainly, we do have to discount figures like 205K addressable alumni, because many of those have a very different experience and varying degrees of attachment to the U. It would not be the same as 205k UVa alums.

its not a knock on the U, it‘s just a fact of our quirky heritage and unique path to being a notable, comprehensive, university.

Ed has had unlimited opportunities to sit down with Clemson's IPTAY to see how their model works and what can be used by VCU, with two of his kids attending Clemson. My question is, has he ever took the time to do that? IPTAY may be the premier college athletic funding model in the country. IPTAY originally stood for "I Pay Ten Dollars A Year". IPTAY, just like the NC State Wolfpack Club, started/focused from the bottom up. The current VCU administration seems to be obsessed with doing the opposite and starting/focusing from the top down.

Successful collegiate booster clubs invest in their donors long term. It is much easier to retain your donor base than to grow it. Focusing 90% of your time on corporate donations does nothing to increase/maintain your donor base long term. The current athletics administration is starting to experience the negative side of this equation. My guess is Ed has now moved on to his "Athletics Village" with his newly hired "Major Gifts" guy, and that will be his focus going forward. Long term, I do not see that as being the best business plan for VCU Athletics when it comes to maintaining/building your donor base.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Actually, there are 9 states where you cannot bet on in-state college teams.

i interpreted Rowdy’s question as to whether one could gamble on Virginia Schools outside of the commonwealth or not.

Not whether it was only Va that has that restriction on betting on schools within the commonwealth.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
i interpreted Rowdy’s question as to whether one could gamble on Virginia Schools outside of the commonwealth or not.

Not whether it was only Va that has that restriction on betting on schools within the commonwealth.
it was actually both... I knew we in virginia couldn't bet on games... but for some reason I thought I heard people couldn't bet on va games at all. Idk why.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
And that is precisely my point. The current athletic administration has no vision when it comes to growing the RAF from the bottom up. And that starts with Ed.
Yes, I was affirming your post. One thing though, this didn't start with Ed. I graduated in 1981. For 41 years I've never been approached.
I have by the Alumni Association BTW.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
What about this, if any of you have contact with Ed, tell him I will commit to giving $100/yr if someone from the Athletic Department will just contact me. If that happens I'll PM you my contact information. Serious about that.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Yes, I was affirming your post. One thing though, this didn't start with Ed. I graduated in 1981. For 41 years I've never been approached.
I have by the Alumni Association BTW.
They have made it both easy and affordable to become involved with the RAF by giving the opportunity to pay in 12 monthly installments. Anyone can join at the $250 level for $21 a month set up on auto pay off their credit card. ( I used the $250 based on the number used to get into season tickets, I think ) I find it sad that a majority of the people who read this site and a high percentage that have accounts and are highly active are NOT members of The RAF. Ed and his team make it very clear that they highly respect and value the longtime members, the brand new members, and anyone who helps support in any way. Every dollar makes a difference. It is this easy Ram Fans, get your credit or debit card ready: https://www.support.vcu.edu/give/athletics

Ed has had unlimited opportunities to sit down with Clemson's IPTAY to see how their model works and what can be used by VCU, with two of his kids attending Clemson. My question is, has he ever took the time to do that? IPTAY may be the premier college athletic funding model in the country. IPTAY originally stood for "I Pay Ten Dollars A Year". IPTAY, just like the NC State Wolfpack Club, started/focused from the bottom up. The current VCU administration seems to be obsessed with doing the opposite and starting/focusing from the top down.

Successful collegiate booster clubs invest in their donors long term. It is much easier to retain your donor base than to grow it. Focusing 90% of your time on corporate donations does nothing to increase/maintain your donor base long term. The current athletics administration is starting to experience the negative side of this equation. My guess is Ed has now moved on to his "Athletics Village" with his newly hired "Major Gifts" guy, and that will be his focus going forward. Long term, I do not see that as being the best business plan for VCU Athletics when it comes to maintaining/building your donor base.
Well said. I don’t have insider perspective like many in RamNation, but I do know this is a complex issue. Since most on this site are primarily MBB fanatics like me I will add an additional issue: relevance. I graduated in ‘81 and attended many MBB at the coliseum with my girlfriend during our freshmen/sophomore years followed by her being my wife of 37 years. We loved VCU MBB. I had season tickets for many years but had to give them up during many years or caring for her from a decade long terminal illness. She passed over 5 years ago, and at 64 I now have the time and money to buy season tickets. But will I? No. Not until our OOC schedule is relevant, even if on the road. Instead I’ll watch them on tv, particularly when A10 play starts and games have relevance. If folks want to criticize me for not being a fan so be it. We haven’t gotten an invite to the Big East or ACC, etc. I’m good with that, understand. But I don’t understand why we won’t play anyone/anywhere? This OOC schedule is like a helicopter mother planning a prom date for their daughter. Pursuing safety under the guise of caring and wanting the best for their emotional toddler. IF we play the big boys and win, we will be relevant. We will never be relevant by beating the irrelevant by 20. The same is true for all sports, not just MBB. This is a capitalist county that will put its money, time and emotions where it will give them the most return. Just win against high quality teams. If we do that everything will be different. If we want relevance look no further than our MBB OOC. Sadly, I suspect it might be similar for non revenue sports. But if we don’t schedule any top teams in RIC, or even schedule very few on the road, I doubt there will be much traction.

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
Well said. I don’t have insider perspective like many in RamNation, but I do know this is a complex issue. Since most on this site are primarily MBB fanatics like me I will add an additional issue: relevance. I graduated in ‘81 and attended many MBB at the coliseum with my girlfriend during our freshmen/sophomore years followed by her being my wife of 37 years. We loved VCU MBB. I had season tickets for many years but had to give them up during many years or caring for her from a decade long terminal illness. She passed over 5 years ago, and at 64 I now have the time and money to buy season tickets. But will I? No. Not until our OOC schedule is relevant, even if on the road. Instead I’ll watch them on tv, particularly when A10 play starts and games have relevance. If folks want to criticize me for not being a fan so be it. We haven’t gotten an invite to the Big East or ACC, etc. I’m good with that, understand. But I don’t understand why we won’t play anyone/anywhere? This OOC schedule is like a helicopter mother planning a prom date for their daughter. Pursuing safety under the guise of caring and wanting the best for their emotional toddler. IF we play the big boys and win, we will be relevant. We will never be relevant by beating the irrelevant by 20. The same is true for all sports, not just MBB. This is a capitalist county that will put its money, time and emotions where it will give them the most return. Just win against high quality teams. If we do that everything will be different. If we want relevance look no further than our MBB OOC. Sadly, I suspect it might be similar for non revenue sports. But if we don’t schedule any top teams in RIC, or even schedule very few on the road, I doubt there will be much traction.
It's better to watch in person.

It'd be cool to see the break down of RAF donors/MBB Season Ticket Holders too.

How many of them attended VCU (whether they graduated or not.... I think there's a certain number of credits or something that technically qualifies you as an alum, even if you did not receive a degree... not sure the exact number).

How many of them have family members who were Alums or Season ticket Holders of VCU.

And how many of the donors/season ticket holders have no direct connection to VCU at all besides being season ticket holders/donors.... (a friend got them into coming to VCU games, or they jumped on the bandwagon after the Dagger / Final 4 years, or some other reason).
I have some of that information that I got via the FOIA. from 2018 - 3,769 Season tickets 2022 - as of 6/27 - 2051 sold. In 2020-21 there were 589 RAF donors giving $2,306,000in 2021-22 555 donors giving $1,996,500. I have the breakdown of donors and tickets at each level. VCU RAF - did not have this information, and they were not interested in getting it. The Season Ticketing system does not interface with the RAF donor system and they were not interested in making that happen. I doubt they know that about donors/season tickets. Ed can't understand that this RAF donor base that has supported them for year, are nearing retirement and need to be replaced. There are 99 CCM donors gave $324,000 left, down from 152 in 2018-19 who gave $668,000 that's $344,000 lost from VCU most loyal donors. VCU did not have this information, nor were interested in getting it.

fyi VCU Men's soccer plays a kick arse OOC every year - Coach Giffard is unafraid to challenge his team either on the road or at home (but then again all those top 25 teams must not be afraid of his unique style - like Coach Martelli wants people to believe all top 50 P6s are of our MBB team)

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I have some of that information that I got via the FOIA. from 2018 - 3,769 Season tickets 2022 - as of 6/27 - 2051 sold. In 2020-21 there were 589 RAF donors giving $2,306,000in 2021-22 555 donors giving $1,996,500. I have the breakdown of donors and tickets at each level. VCU RAF - did not have this information, and they were not interested in getting it. The Season Ticketing system does not interface with the RAF donor system and they were not interested in making that happen. I doubt they know that about donors/season tickets. Ed can't understand that this RAF donor base that has supported them for year, are nearing retirement and need to be replaced. There are 99 CCM donors gave $324,000 left, down from 152 in 2018-19 who gave $668,000 that's $344,000 lost from VCU most loyal donors. VCU did not have this information, nor were interested in getting it.

The breakdown I was referring too was more based on their connection to VCU/MBB not what levels they donated or if they were CCM or not.

For example you said in 2018 there were 3,769 season tickets sold.

So of those 3769 season tickets sold….

How many of those season ticket holders are VCU Alums in some form or fashion? Meaning they attended VCU at some point in their life?

How many of those season ticket holders are family members of a VCU Alum?

And lastly…. How many of those season ticket holders have zero direct connections to VCU outside of being season ticket holders / raf donors.

That’s more of the breakdown I was looking for.

fyi VCU Men's soccer plays a kick arse OOC every year - Coach Giffard is unafraid to challenge his team either on the road or at home (but then again all those top 25 teams must not be afraid of his unique style - like Coach Martelli wants people to believe all top 50 P6s are of our MBB team)
While I respect Giff's tough OOC scheduling, the men's soccer team is 0-4-3. But that's for another thread.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
They have made it both easy and affordable to become involved with the RAF by giving the opportunity to pay in 12 monthly installments. Anyone can join at the $250 level for $21 a month set up on auto pay off their credit card. ( I used the $250 based on the number used to get into season tickets, I think ) I find it sad that a majority of the people who read this site and a high percentage that have accounts and are highly active are NOT members of The RAF. Ed and his team make it very clear that they highly respect and value the longtime members, the brand new members, and anyone who helps support in any way. Every dollar makes a difference. It is this easy Ram Fans, get your credit or debit card ready: https://www.support.vcu.edu/give/athletics

You are definitely living in a different world than a lot of us. Ed has made nothing easy, and I can tell you from personal experience that he does NOT respect longtime RAF members. You may be part of the 10% he caters to, but his approach to the average donor is non existent.