VCU Athletics to explore reseating season ticket holders

Pavarotti

Nation Donor
Insider
Amidst all the new AD speculation, this was sent out by Vic and Andrew. Not sure how many of you have received this letter yet, mine came yesterday, but I wanted to see what people think.

Dear Chris Crowley,

There has never been a more exciting time for VCU Athletics and this great university. Our programs have enjoyed an exceptional run of success recently, especially men’s basketball, which reached the 2011 Final Four and is led by one of the brightest rising stars in the coaching profession, Shaka Smart. Additionally, the move to the Atlantic 10 Conference has positioned VCU to continue its momentum. We expect increased national visibility, as well as excellent opportunities for all of our student-athletes to excel academically, compete for conference championships and secure NCAA berths.

The support you and others have provided through the Ram Athletic Fund has been a driving force in that success. As you are aware, the challenges ahead in the Atlantic 10, as well as the competition from our peer institutions, grow every day. Scholarship costs rise annually, and in order to recruit and retain the best student-athletes and coaches, we must continue to invest in our infrastructure.

Since the Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center opened in 1999, there has been little attempt to maximize resources from men’s basketball priority seating, such as awarding generous supporters who have upgraded their giving level or new donors who have joined the Ram Nation. We have made some changes, such as adding courtside seats and extending priority seating to new sections, but the original priority areas and donor priority seat limits have remained constant.

With that in mind, VCU Athletics will conduct a comprehensive study over the next two months for the possible re-seating of the Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center for the 2013-14 Men’s Basketball season. The committee will include the following individuals:

• VCU Athletics Executive Board members
  • Ram Athletic Fund Board members
  • Ram Athletic Fund current donors who were part of the planning committee for the Capital Campaign for the Siegel Center
  • A cross-section of current Ram Athletic Fund members
  • Ram Athletic Fund members who are VCU faculty/staff
The committee will review our current priority seating plan and priority seat limits. It will evaluate the pros and cons of any potential changes. In addition, the group will be presented information from member institutions and programs around the country that have implemented re-seating policies. Finally, the committee will determine if reseating would be in the best interest for our overall athletic department.
We acknowledge that if implemented, the new plan would represent a significant change for many Ram fans. Any re-seating will be sensitive to three areas of concern:

• Exhibit fairness
  • Reward loyalty- Capital Campaign members for the Stuart C. Siegel Center
  • Recognize the impact of donations
After an extensive review with the committee, VCU Athletics will inform you of any re-seating plan by September 10, 2012. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Ram Athletic Fund. Thank you for supporting VCU Athletics.

Go Rams!

Sincerely,

Andrew Hartley Vic Cegles

It begins...

All of this talk about "big time" and now we start to see the real change in how the program operates. Money talks, money walks. Next thing you know you won't be able to purchase season tickets without first giving a specified amount of money to the Athletic Department.

It begins...

All of this talk about "big time" and now we start to see the real change in how the program operates. Money talks, money walks. Next thing you know you won't be able to purchase season tickets without first giving a specified amount of money to the Athletic Department.
yeah I don't think we are quite big time yet...

YCDOLKLXLAQHBFB.20120313002729.jpg

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
It begins...

We have to sell all of the season tickets first. Great problem to have though.

rammad90

Elite Member
We have to sell all of the season tickets first. Great problem to have though.

Not really. Many people who give at a high level are unsatisfied with their seats. Given, many have had seats for years and my not be giving at as high a level this presents an issue.

However, without a new AD I wonder who is stirring the pot. This is a significant issue as such without an AD, and wtih Benedict, and Mike gone perhaps this is the wrong time to address such an issue.

I suggest we on Ramnation contact our President and let him know that perhaps we maintain the status quo until we have a new administration in place.

ramband

Insider
Have people already repurchased season seats for this season? If so, I feel any change needs to be held off till next season, and done before tickets are renewed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

xjohnx

Original Gangster
Elite Member
Have people already repurchased season seats for this season? If so, I feel any change needs to be held off till next season, and done before tickets are renewed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

The letter states that it wouldn't take effect until the 2013-14 season.

ramband

Insider
thanks john, shows how good my reading comprehension is at 345 in the morning!

It begins...

You are such a miserable person. Debbie Downer from SNL? You're obviously a smart dude and all, but 100% of your posts weren't negative a few years ago. It's your right to be a realist and point out things that may have a negative impact on the fans from the A-10 move, but does it have to be non stop? :? Maybe bring up the fact that season tickets sales have increased significantly and therefore a rise in sale price is a reasonable request. That is how businesses work. The Patriots have the most expensive tickets in the NFL, because they win. Supply and demand Duck. :?:?:? The good, in my opinion, FAR out weighs the bad from the A-10 move. That being said, I find it ridiculous that you point out all of the negatives from that decision. Have you seen the CAA lineup? Gimme a break man. We've got a superior line up of talent to play now, which gives us more entertaining basketball. That is what it's all about, entertainment.

I was finacily finally able to place a deposit and donate to the (smallest) RAF, when I signed up the very nice lady said that the seating location would be changing. I hope that the seats will not be on broad street.

the AD needs to understand that money is nice and we all love it but you should not push out the people that cant always give $$$$, which is exactly what they are going to start doing, it all started with the rams club!

Yes i remember this all too well. Price of fame but hey that is what comes with the territory and i welcome it. My parents have season tickets to VT football games before they blew up and it was so easy to get a ticket and they had top of the line seats. Well when they got big the kept getting moved farther and farther back. That is the price of fame but hey i am fine with it as long as we win a national title in my lifetime!

umwram

Elite Member
the AD needs to understand that money is nice and we all love it but you should not push out the people that cant always give $$$$, which is exactly what they are going to start doing, it all started with the rams club!
Sorry, but this is just an untenable view. It's great to maintain people's seats that give at a lower level in theory, kumbaya and all that, but here's the graph that you all need to familiarize yourselves with before any further commenting.
22354642.png

Sorry, but this is just an untenable view. It's great to maintain people's seats that give at a lower level in theory, kumbaya and all that, but here's the graph that you all need to familiarize yourselves with before any further commenting.
22354642.png

i get that but not everyone is made of money, the rams club was a great opportunity for people of all monitary levels to give in terms of money, time, or other wonderful talents