VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Yea, that headline is a little misleading....

More like, "odu ruined what was once a great Virginia basketball rivalry by pi$$ing their time and money away from basketball in a vainglorious attempt to keep up with the ever changing and wildly disproportionate runaway train that IS college football, that will ultimately destroy the NCAA like Skynet destroyed the human race in the Terminator universe."

a little too wordy, I'll try to punch it up a little

and yes,
fodu (and the odu is NEVER capitalized @Mercury !! You KNOW this man!!)

urmite

Elite Member
Yea, that headline is a little misleading....

More like, "odu ruined what was once a great Virginia basketball rivalry by pi$$ing their time and money away from basketball in a vainglorious attempt to keep up with the ever changing and wildly disproportionate runaway train that IS college football, that will ultimately destroy the NCAA like Skynet destroyed the human race in the Terminator universe."

a little too wordy, I'll try to punch it up a little

and yes,
fodu (and the odu is NEVER capitalized @Mercury !! You KNOW this man!!)
Are you saying this post #140 by Z8 isn't true?

"I assume VCU is worried about the shifting power dynamics in the state. They are being left behind us and and now JMU in prominence despite their athletic success."

:roll::roll::roll: I suppose they have to think something no matter how delusional...

VCU routinely schedules 3-5 teams in our OOC that will not help our NET other than a Tier 4 victory

At least ODU was often competitive games and had some fan interest (their NET each of the last 4 years was 201,132,173,101) -

I hope our season ticket holders enjoy that Morgan State, Illinois State, Radford , Navy gauntlet -

In all seriousness, MR needs to go on the road more frequently in OOC and play a team that projects into top 50 in NET and get more Tier 1 opportunities - liked seeing he tried to play Baylor but he has to get realistic that top 20 teams ain't playing us on neutral courts like Dallas - until we become a sweet 16 team with regularity or top 25 every year

go rams

Mercury

Elite Member

"I assume VCU is worried about the shifting power dynamics in the state. They are being left behind us and and now JMU in prominence despite their athletic success."

:roll::roll::roll: I suppose they have to think something no matter how delusional...

These are the same people who were telling us years ago how it was only a matter of time before ODU was in the American and VCU was left behind.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

I went over there to see what they were saying. They seem to think that this is an A10 mandate.

urmite

Elite Member
I went over there to see what they were saying. They seem to think that this is an A10 mandate.
I have seen that. Anyone know the lowest opponent NET to start a H&H contract with an A-10 team this year is?

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Can we now say Mason is VCU's true rival?

Pls give me 10 seconds to 🏃‍ for cover.
Absolutely not. Here are VCU's records vs. in-state D1 teams it's played more than 5 times:

VCU vs. ODU - 52-40
VCU vs. Richmond - 57-32
VCU vs. George Mason - 45-22
VCU vs. JMU - 44-21
VCU vs. William & Mary - 39-12
VCU vs. Virginia Tech - 11-10
VCU vs. UVA - 2-13
VCU vs. Hampton - 8-1
VCU vs. Radford - 6-3
VCU vs. Liberty - 6-1 (not counting the hurricane relief exhibition where Liberty defeated VCU)

The only one of those matchups that isn't lopsided one way or the other is the one against Virginia Tech, and Virginia Tech is highly unlikely to start a series with VCU after being utterly obliterated in our most recent meeting in 2013 (which itself was the first time they played since 1995 when both schools were in the Metro Conference).

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
VCU routinely schedules 3-5 teams in our OOC that will not help our NET other than a Tier 4 victory

At least ODU was often competitive games and had some fan interest (their NET each of the last 4 years was 201,132,173,101) -

I hope our season ticket holders enjoy that Morgan State, Illinois State, Radford , Navy gauntlet -

In all seriousness, MR needs to go on the road more frequently in OOC and play a team that projects into top 50 in NET and get more Tier 1 opportunities - liked seeing he tried to play Baylor but he has to get realistic that top 20 teams ain't playing us on neutral courts like Dallas - until we become a sweet 16 team with regularity or top 25 every year

go rams
Playing Ol' Dirty on our court is fine. I'd take that game any day. Playing Ol' Dirty on their court has become a liability thanks to their lack of investment in their basketball program. I wouldn't willingly play any of that murderers' row away; same goes for playing in Norfolk. There's just no incentive now. Hopefully that changes, but either way it's not our responsibility.