VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

I get what you’re saying and I don’t know if it’s the same now but anyways, I get the other side of it too…
Haven’t thought about this since forever-

Years ago, mid 80’s? went to a Hamden-Sydney vs Randolph Macon football game at HS with some friends from both sides. It was a helluva time between the tailgating, fans, game…. wandering around we ended up on the sideline for a bit somewhere around the 20 yard line. Ball moved our way and the people who belongd there started moving in- got some side eye and we were chased off ( it was actually a friendly chase off, we weren’t causing trouble, just didn’t belong there) 😂
Thinking back, a pretty amazing experience all around even if I don’t remember who won.

/ prefer VCU to remain football-less

Just think, since the first cobblestone was laid on RPI/VCU campus, there has been no inter-scholastic football. That means every single student who ever applied knew the school had no football and was okay with that. If they wanted football they might have gone elsewhere. So if they didn't care as students, why would they care as graduates? RE RMC-HSC: small private schools really do need football to attract students. Both of those schools get about 70 applicants a year from high school kids who think they have some football left in them, and are willing to pay for the opportunity. That's a lot of tuition's. Virginia Union is starting a non-scholarship freshman team this coming season for little reason other than to get about 20 more paying customers.

Oh, and since it's a little slow, give me Maynor, Bones, Kendrick, Skeen and Sanders and I'll confidently take on the college version of any five VUU players you can come up. I'm not talking about 24 year old NBA Oakley or 28 year old all-NBA Ben Wallace or 25 year old Dallas Maverick Terry Davis. Take these guys at their best in college and I like my chances with the VCU guys.

VUU all-time, first five vs. VCU all-time ... could sell a few tickets for that .... for VUU, I'd go with Mike Davis, Charles Oakley, Terry Davis, A.J. English and, or course, Ben Wallace, with Dave Robbins on the bench as coach .... Rams counter with, in my opinion, Gerald Henderson, Kendrick Warren, Calvin Duncan, Bones Hyland and Eric Maynor, with J.D. Barnett on the sidelines ... basing this on collegiate play with some thought given to NBA status. M Davis led NCAA Division II in scoring as senior ... English did as well ... T Davis was first-team All-American and two-time CIAA Player of Year ... Oakley was D-2 National Player of year and led D-2 in rebounding ... Wallace helped Panthers to back to back Final Fours.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I bought my dad a 1985-1986 VCU Men's Basketball Media Guide off of Ebay for Fathers Day.

Did anyone know that Wood Selig worked for VCU in the 80s?

Yes. Wood started his athletic administration career at VCU as the ticket manager. From VCU, he then went to UVA and then Western Kentucky where he became athletic director.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Elite Member
VUU all-time, first five vs. VCU all-time ... could sell a few tickets for that .... for VUU, I'd go with Mike Davis, Charles Oakley, Terry Davis, A.J. English and, or course, Ben Wallace, with Dave Robbins on the bench as coach .... Rams counter with, in my opinion, Gerald Henderson, Kendrick Warren, Calvin Duncan, Bones Hyland and Eric Maynor, with J.D. Barnett on the sidelines ... basing this on collegiate play with some thought given to NBA status. M Davis led NCAA Division II in scoring as senior ... English did as well ... T Davis was first-team All-American and two-time CIAA Player of Year ... Oakley was D-2 National Player of year and led D-2 in rebounding ... Wallace helped Panthers to back to back Final Fours.
There's absolutely no getting around D-2 being a lesser level of basketball than D-1 so pretending like the accomplishments are the equivalent is disingenuous. It's almost as if you consider VCU's final four being equal to a D-2 final four or winning CIAA player of the year being similar to winning A-10 player of the year.

And including NBA accomplishments is also disingenuous since that involves considering a player's development under other entities that have nothing do to with schools in question. That's why I always disagreed with retiring a college player's number based in part by their pro accomplishments.

Also, when you say "all-time five" that insinuates a "team," meaning pg, sg and essentially two forwards and a center. Otherwise why not make it a all-time six or 10 or 12. Conveniently setting the VCU squad with four guards and a forward is not an all-time team in my opinion. I'm also taking the guy to who took us to the final four as my coach. Not to mention, since you have an established bias towards VUU, you're probably not the best person to select VCU's five since you hate the school.

But this is all a matter of opinion, so there's no definitive right or wrong in any of this.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

Your VCU "five" is questionable, and giving JD Barnett the nod over Shaka Smart is also questionable. Surely Bernard "Soup" Harris should be given consideration, along with Jesse Dark and Ren Watson. And let's not forget Edmund Sherod. The only reason his jersey is not hanging in the rafters at VCU is because he did not graduate. Treveon Graham and Bradford Burgess should also be in the discussion.

Regarding coaches, Shaka Smart went 163-56 (.744) in six seasons at VCU. JD Barnett went 132-48 (.733) in 6 seasons. Shaka also took VCU to the Final Four. JD never made it to the second weekend.

My VCU "five" would be Eric Maynor, Kendrick Warren, Ren Watson, Treveon Graham and Edmund Sherod, with Shaka clearly the coach.

Your VCU "five" is questionable, and giving JD Barnett the nod over Shaka Smart is also questionable. Surely Bernard "Soup" Harris should be given consideration, along with Jesse Dark and Ren Watson. And let's not forget Edmund Sherod. The only reason his jersey is not hanging in the rafters at VCU is because he did not graduate. Treveon Graham and Bradford Burgess should also be in the discussion.

Regarding coaches, Shaka Smart went 163-56 (.744) in six seasons at VCU. JD Barnett went 132-48 (.733) in 6 seasons. Shaka also took VCU to the Final Four. JD never made it to the second weekend.

My VCU "five" would be Eric Maynor, Kendrick Warren, Ren Watson, Treveon Graham and Edmund Sherod, with Shaka clearly the coach.

The VCU players you mention are all top notch and deserve being "in the discussion" ... I was just going with top five all time ... RE Smart vs. Barnett ... consider, the VCU budget 1979-85 was a mere pittance of the 21st century Rams' spending ... and while Barnett never guided the Rams to "the second weekend," he took VCU to its very first NCAA and four in a five-year period without benefit of an on-campus facility. Also the NCAA field was smaller then. RE VUU - this is what some might find strange .... The Panthers have won three NCAA D-2 crowns, but none with the most recognized players, M Davis, Oakley, T. Davis, English or Wallace .. VUU has a long bench through the ages ... and before I go, let's put Jesse Dark "in the discussion."

eekend.

IMHO my five would be
Maynor , Henderson, Graham, Skeen and Hopkins with Calvin Duncan first off bench (6 guys with ability to play offense and defense at a high level)
As much as i like Edmund your team has two guards that require the ball and Eric is a much better shooter than Ed in my opinion -Ren only blocked shots and rebounded, which are important but (had no offensive game for modern basketball)

next two likely Dark and Warren

remember in this scenario of playing the mythical VUU best 5 they are exceptionally strong around the basket - so we need to defend the paint with some strength

boy we have had lots of really good players

Last edited:

PhantomRam

Elite Member
There's absolutely no getting around D-2 being a lesser level of basketball than D-1
Anybody remember Queen's collage?
Let's remember that some of the players going to VUU were for academic reasons, not athletic. Yes, overall D-1 is superior to D-2, but lets not think those players mentioned through these post couldn't compete against D-1 on a good day.

Let's remember that some of the players going to VUU were for academic reasons, not athletic. Yes, overall D-1 is superior to D-2, but lets not think those players mentioned through these post couldn't compete against D-1 on a good day.
some great D2 players besides Oakley
Earl Monroe
Bobby Dandridge
Walt Frazier (a few of the years at SIU) - I think they were D1 his last when they won NIT
George Iceman Gervin
Phil Jackson

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
In fact Queens is moving up to D1 next season.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
There's absolutely no getting around D-2 being a lesser level of basketball than D-1 so pretending like the accomplishments are the equivalent is disingenuous. It's almost as if you consider VCU's final four being equal to a D-2 final four or winning CIAA player of the year being similar to winning A-10 player of the year.

And including NBA accomplishments is also disingenuous since that involves considering a player's development under other entities that have nothing do to with schools in question. That's why I always disagreed with retiring a college player's number based in part by their pro accomplishments.

Also, when you say "all-time five" that insinuates a "team," meaning pg, sg and essentially two forwards and a center. Otherwise why not make it a all-time six or 10 or 12. Conveniently setting the VCU squad with four guards and a forward is not an all-time team in my opinion. I'm also taking the guy to who took us to the final four as my coach. Not to mention, since you have an established bias towards VUU, you're probably not the best person to select VCU's five since you hate the school.

But this is all a matter of opinion, so there's no definitive right or wrong in any of this.
And these VCU guys would destroy those VUU guys. The VUU guys are really old, some of our guys are more recent players, younger and still able to play.

MarylandRamFan

Elite Member
Absolutely not. Here are VCU's records vs. in-state D1 teams it's played more than 5 times:

VCU vs. ODU - 52-40
VCU vs. Richmond - 57-32
VCU vs. George Mason - 45-22
VCU vs. JMU - 44-21
VCU vs. William & Mary - 39-12
VCU vs. Virginia Tech - 11-10
VCU vs. UVA - 2-13
VCU vs. Hampton - 8-1
VCU vs. Radford - 6-3
VCU vs. Liberty - 6-1 (not counting the hurricane relief exhibition where Liberty defeated VCU)

The only one of those matchups that isn't lopsided one way or the other is the one against Virginia Tech, and Virginia Tech is highly unlikely to start a series with VCU after being utterly obliterated in our most recent meeting in 2013 (which itself was the first time they played since 1995 when both schools were in the Metro Conference).
I was at that last Tech game. It was a glorious beat down!