VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

Mistachill

Elite Member
RE all-time ... about four years ago the Times-Dispatch picked "the greatest player ever at each high school." It was based overwhelming on an athlete's career achievements. Not saying that is correct, but that tends to be way these thing are selected. Dandridge got it for Maggie Walker even though the Green Dragons never won the VIA title while he was there. Dandridge was a late bloomer who didn't start to come into his own until he was at Norfolk State. That said, it was hard to hide two NBA titles. RE Calvin Duncan ... as a senior the springy, powerfully built 6-3 for-guard averaged 15.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.4 assists. He was capable of scoring and defending anywhere on the floor, much like man-child Jesse Dark before him. More recently a comparison might be Korey Billbury as a do-it-all kind of Ram.
Ton of revisionist hyperbole regarding Duncan. Extrapolating his numbers to claim he could play and defend 4 positions on the floor doesn't make a lot of sense. Again, if it's your opinion that he "could" (if given the opportunity), you're certainly entitled. But I would offer the following:

1) JD pretty much played 5 starters and a VERY shallow bench, so I assure you Duncan was rarely given the opportunity to play out of position.

2) "Innovative" and "adjustments" are two terms I rarely hear associated with JD. So the thought of JD ever saying "hey, maybe having Duncan guard their power forward might work" is a fairy tale.

This is not to say that Calvin wasn't a great multi-skilled player. But I think claiming he could play 4 positions on the court (at 6'3") is an exaggeration. I also wouldn't exactly consider him "springy."

Last edited:
In analyzing certain football players, the term "athlete" is assigned rather than limiting the discussion to any one position. Duncan would fall under that category as a hoopster. He could do it. He was second only to Schlegel in rebounding and second only to Lamb in assists in '85. He went to the foul line an incredible 538 times in his career (82 percent), showing his talent for getting inside. And don't forget Calvin was the 30th overall pick in NBA draft ..... but here's something about the '85 team not frequently discussed ... Freshman Phil Stinnie played just 5.0 minutes per game, averaging 1.1 points. Had he been red-shirted, who knows what his career numbers might be .... the Charlottesville native finished with 1,645 points in basically three seasons - that includes 803 points as senior. It is easy to assume Phil the Thrill might have been the Rams' all-time scorer (surpassing Creech) had he sat out his true freshman campaign.

Mistachill

Elite Member
In analyzing certain football players, the term "athlete" is assigned rather than limiting the discussion to any one position. Duncan would fall under that category as a hoopster. He could do it. He was second only to Schlegel in rebounding and second only to Lamb in assists in '85. He went to the foul line an incredible 538 times in his career (82 percent), showing his talent for getting inside. And don't forget Calvin was the 30th overall pick in NBA draft ..... but here's something about the '85 team not frequently discussed ... Freshman Phil Stinnie played just 5.0 minutes per game, averaging 1.1 points. Had he been red-shirted, who knows what his career numbers might be .... the Charlottesville native finished with 1,645 points in basically three seasons - that includes 803 points as senior. It is easy to assume Phil the Thrill might have been the Rams' all-time scorer (surpassing Creech) had he sat out his true freshman campaign.
None of this has anything to do with Calvin being able to guard power forwards or play point guard for extended periods of time. Again, doesn't mean he wasn't a multi-skilled ballplayer, but no need to exaggerate his abilities to people too young to have seem him play and make him seem like he was Magic Johnson. He was great enough off his legit performance on the court for it to stand on its own merit without the hyperbole.

Regarding Stinnie, I do agree with you there. You could see the talent even in his limited freshman minutes. He was one the few (if only) players on that team who could play above the rim. I love Neil Wake but you can't convince me that there weren't minutes to be found to play Stinnie more as a freshman.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I hope you are kidding ... of course these "all time teams" would be based on players' prime years .... but assuming you are serious, VCU would kill the All-Time San Francisco team (won back to back NCAAs) since KC Jones is dead and Bill Russell is 88. Also, Don's coach Phil Woolpert would likely make some poor decisions on the bench since he left this earth in 1987.
yes, of course I'm kidding, tongue firmly planted in cheek is hard to depict typing.

1000%...JD wasted Stinnie's talent.

Similar to Stinnie, Troy Daniels had an uneventful and injury plagued freshman season that would have been better suited wearing a red shirt .... like Stinnie, Troy's career numbers under Smart were based almost entirely on three seasons ....