VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

VCU Heel

Elite Member
That might be the case.

Three weeks before the season, I’d wait and make sure it wasn’t a health or family issue before making too much fun.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
In their primes, I'd love to see a game between the Rams' '70s all-stars and an all-star team of the past 10 years. My '70s' first unit would be Sherod and Henderson at the guards, Harris at the stretch forward, Dark on a wing and, of course, Ren Watson supplying his long arm of defense on the post. Kirk tooting the whistle. Bench wouldn't look bad, either, with Monty Knight poppin' the nets from three-land.

I love a great legends argument and usually take the side of the legends, but last 10 years is just a different level of talent, size/speed combo, range….there is no guarantees those guys from the past would have made it through the AAU circuit—injuries, politics, match-ups. The guys playing the game now are generally just all around better at the game of basketball and have what used to be “off the charts” athleticism as the norm. It’s no contest, in favor of the new guys— even “if” we play Jedi mind tricks and bring those guys to the future.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I love a great legends argument and usually take the side of the legends, but last 10 years is just a different level of talent, size/speed combo, range….there is no guarantees those guys from the past would have made it through the AAU circuit—injuries, politics, match-ups. The guys playing the game now are generally just all around better at the game of basketball and have what used to be “off the charts” athleticism as the norm. It’s no contest, in favor of the new guys— even “if” we play Jedi mind tricks and bring those guys to the future.
A lot depends on the rules you’re playing under. So much.

In making comparisons of "then" vs. "now," we are assuming equal weight training and nutrition for both ends. Given equal opportunity in all areas, the original stars would look much different in regard to muscularity. Let's take Bernard Harris for example. 'Nard was 6-10 and not much over 210 as a Ram. But look at him now. Having lived most of his adult life in Finland and become a "gym rat," the former rail has much thicker shoulders, chest and arms than older Rams' fans remember. If he'd been that strong in the early '70s, he'd have likely gotten five more rebounds a game. Check him out - Clarence Bernard Harris, Facebook.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
In making comparisons of "then" vs. "now," we are assuming equal weight training and nutrition for both ends. Given equal opportunity in all areas, the original stars would look much different in regard to muscularity. Let's take Bernard Harris for example. 'Nard was 6-10 and not much over 210 as a Ram. But look at him now. Having lived most of his adult life in Finland and become a "gym rat," the former rail has much thicker shoulders, chest and arms than older Rams' fans remember. If he'd been that strong in the early '70s, he'd have likely gotten five more rebounds a game. Check him out - Clarence Bernard Harris, Facebook.
It’s pretty convenient to say that past players would be better now. Maybe they wouldn’t have even made it because their peers would have been better.

You don’t get it make those assumptions. Sorry.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
A reporter asked Michael Jordan a few years ago when LA won the NBA title, who would win a 7 game series? the Bulls 95-96 team or LeBron's Lakers. MJ thought long and hard and carefully said the mid 90's Bulls were a perfect blend of young talent with experienced players. Athletes that were superstars yet knew there roles. And they had elite athleticism at every position. LeBrons lakers didnt have the talent of the 95-96 Bulls or the team element. He went on to say he thought the Bulls would likely win in a tough game 7. The reporter said if the Bulls were so great, why would it be a close game 7 and not a blow out? Jordan replied something to the fact that it was because most of the Bulls from the 95 team were in there late 50's now.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I’ll give you that the true cream of the crop transcends generations, still, it’s a team sport that requires a little depth. Given the changes with three point line, 30 second clock, player movement etc….it’s whole different mix of athleticism and multi-position skill. It might be competitive with someone like Nard able to dominate match-ups—but NewGen wins 9 times out 10.

If this ever becomes a rivalry again it would mean our program died. And then returned from the dead and died again.

BigE

Elite Member
"Our program was nothing before J.D.?" Really? Does anyone remember Jabo Wilkins. Jesse Dark. Bernard Harris. Richard Jones. Tom Motley, Gerald Henderson. Ed Sherod. Ren Watson, Danny Kottak, Monty Knight, etc.? The NBA sure noticed. Or what about wins over Minnesota, Michigan State, Centenary/Robert Parish, Texas A&M, Baylor, Georgetown? Anyone recall coaches Chuck Noe (95-42) or Dana Kirk (57-23)?
I surely do!!!!!!!!
especially MN cuz they were nationally ranked

RAMification

Elite Member
Have you ever spoken to J.D. one on one? I doubt it because you wouldn’t have made as preposterous statement as you just did.

The man had his faults, but he certainly deserves more respect than you are giving him. Our program was nothing before J.D. He put us on the map, recruited Duncan, Lamb, Schlegel, Stinnie et al and took us to the tourney first and regularly. I doubt seriously that you could have done one tenth as good.

Geesh.

Vic,
You are absolutely right. That statement is both preposterous and uninformed. I was a close friend of J.D.'s for a time. Spent many hours with him. Knew him like a book. There is no question he was high strung and had his faults, like we all do, but he did not have any mental issues. Like a lot of coaches of that era his big-time success was in part predicated on his intense drive to win. Did he push young men - yes. Perhaps a little too much at times. Ask Calvin and Rolando today and they will tell you he made them better men.

J.D. Barnett was instrumental is putting VCU on the national map. That's beyond question.