VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

Minnesota was not ranked in that game.

The Gophers were in the "others receiving votes" category when they rolled into Franklin Street with the greatest player to ever perform on that court, Jim Brewer. The shot blocker extraordinaire would become the second overall draft pick in 1973, by Cleveland. But much to his credit, Rams' freshman Greg McDougald played him tough .... I won't mention Greg was 1-for10 at the foul line that historic evening.

rammad90

Elite Member
Have you ever spoken to J.D. one on one? I doubt it because you wouldn’t have made as preposterous statement as you just did.

The man had his faults, but he certainly deserves more respect than you are giving him. Our program was nothing before J.D. He put us on the map, recruited Duncan, Lamb, Schlegel, Stinnie et al and took us to the tourney first and regularly. I doubt seriously that you could have done one tenth as good.

Geesh.
Actually yes I have spoken with and have been in the presence of JD. Dont go assuming. I also have spoken to many of his ex players. Very few liked the guy and fwiw our AD didnt much care for him either.

Remember JD wanted to come back and well we all remember the answer to that one.

Further, JD didnt have much success after VCU and he didnt get to many opportunities there after nor did he have any success post VCU. It was down right awful.

Maybe you forgot the guy who set the table for JD. Yes, Dana Kirk. Dana Kirk built the foundation and JD improved it. Dana had some legal issues but he was a solid coach and had success after VCU JD not so much.

Oh and and dont forget Chuck Noe. VCU has always been a good job and a program that was primed for success. Yeah, Grant, Shaka, WW, and Mike are all good coaches but none have that level of success at the point in which they did if nor for having the opportunity to coach at VCU.

Same for the good ones that came before them.

We have always had a crew of great players, solid AD, and loyal and supportive fans.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
In their primes, I'd love to see a game between the Rams' '70s all-stars and an all-star team of the past 10 years. My '70s' first unit would be Sherod and Henderson at the guards, Harris at the stretch forward, Dark on a wing and, of course, Ren Watson supplying his long arm of defense on the post. Kirk tooting the whistle. Bench wouldn't look bad, either, with Monty Knight poppin' the nets from three-land.
As much as I love Men he doesn't make the starting 5. I go Jabo, Nard, Bodine, Ed, Gerald. If I had to chose Red. I move out Ed and put Bodine on the ball. Either Ed or Red is my 6th man. Monty was a friend but I dont think he was as good as those guys.

As much as I love Men he doesn't make the starting 5. I go Jabo, Nard, Bodine, Ed, Gerald. If I had to chose Red. I move out Ed and put Bodine on the ball. Either Ed or Red is my 6th man. Monty was a friend but I dont think he was as good as those guys.

Ren Watson's shot-blocking stats are almost too hard to believe .... why isn't his number (31, I think) dangling from the rafters ... and remember, for many years he guarded the visiting team's bench as a VCU policeman at the Coliseum and Stu. Lorenza Watson! Led Buckingham County to State Single A title before signing with Coach Noe. Richard Jones' father helped in the recruitment. Love to know Ren's wingspan.

I think it needs to be mentioned that VCU made one NCAA appearance in 18 years after JD left the program. Say what you want about the guy, it took almost 20 years to get us back to where he had the program when he left.
I have echoed this many times. There was a definite program shift after JD left. He did some incredible things with a very young program that had minimal facilities. Had we not had that break, it would be interesting to imagine what trajectory the program would have taken. I am happy with the current path but is worth wondering.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
We may not have made the NCAA's in that 18 year period, but I think we always had an over .500 record, except for maybe one year.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Seven seasons under .500 and one season right at .500 two season one game over .500.
Unfortunately I was at VCU when the "dark ages" began. I did get a great season my freshman year in 1984-85 and the 1988 team was really good. Kendrick's era gave me some great moments too. I call those the years of the small guard. For some reason the coaches always recruited guards under 6 feet back then. Or to me it seemed like it. Some were bigger like Dom Jones. Not slighting them because some like Lamar and Bo were great on the offensive.