VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
No way is VCU just going to agree to a P5 away game with no return to the Stu.

In the world of conference 20 game schedules etc, thats going to be problematic

This is correct. It will be interesting to see if VCU's scheduling philosophy changes next year after having a difficult time this offseason.

While I don't wanna have all road games... and I'd love to get P5/6 programs to come to the STU... I'd be more than ok with a couple games each year being at a P5/6.

Especially if they're within reasonable driving distance.... Villanova, G'Town, MD, Va Tech, West Va., UVA (who is willing to do H&H's every so often), UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake... etc. I'd rather play those schools than Jacksonville, Morgan State or Northern Illinois.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
While I don't wanna have all road games... and I'd love to get P5/6 programs to come to the STU... I'd be more than ok with a couple games each year being at a P5/6.

Especially if they're within reasonable driving distance.... Villanova, G'Town, MD, Va Tech, West Va., UVA (who is willing to do H&H's every so often), UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake... etc. I'd rather play those schools than Jacksonville, Morgan State or Northern Illinois.
They really must be having a difficult time scheduling this season. No release yet and I think they have two more games to fill. I saw Rider release theirs the other day and they were only able to schedule nine OOC games. I sure hope VCU can get eleven games.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
They really must be having a difficult time scheduling this season. No release yet and I think they have two more games to fill. I saw Rider release theirs the other day and they were only able to schedule nine OOC games. I sure hope VCU can get eleven games.
Yeah right now we got 10 confirmed games with dates.... and the Vandy game which to my knowledge still has no date yet. And Vandy only has 7 confirmed dates for OOC games according to the D1 Docket thing.... so Idk if we are waiting to see when they are willing to schedule our game so we don't lose it... or what?

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member

I don't think anyone on that list would play us anywhere.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I don't think anyone on that list would play us anywhere.
I think a lot of those teams would be willing to have a home game against VCU if they don’t have to play a road game in exchange. Teams aren’t scared of us. They just don’t want to play on the road any more than they have to. We would actually be an enticing home game for many of them.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I think a lot of those teams would be willing to have a home game against VCU if they don’t have to play a road game in exchange. Teams aren’t scared of us. They just don’t want to play on the road any more than they have to. We would actually be an enticing home game for many of them.
I didn't say they were scared but a lot of them play their easier buy games at home, challenge themselves at neutral sites, and play on the road only when they have to. They also aren't looking to help any other teams in the region or give them any opportunities. Maybe back before the expanded conference schedules they would have, but I don't see them doing it at this point.

I didn't say they were scared but a lot of them play their easier buy games at home, challenge themselves at neutral sites, and play on the road only when they have to. They also aren't looking to help any other teams in the region or give them any opportunities. Maybe back before the expanded conference schedules they would have, but I don't see them doing it at this point.

Can't agree more with Finance in regard to his scheduling analysis ... that said, is everyone okay with that? Sounds like the infamous Caste system in India ... problem is that too many of the 350 or so "Division 1'ish" programs are in for little more than $$$ guarantees of the road and a sliver of the NCAA Big Dance loot. NCAA has four divisions for football but just three for hoops.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
As much as I love Men he doesn't make the starting 5. I go Jabo, Nard, Bodine, Ed, Gerald. If I had to chose Red. I move out Ed and put Bodine on the ball. Either Ed or Red is my 6th man. Monty was a friend but I dont think he was as good as those guys.
I don't know, Monty pre knee injury was awfully good! When he came back he was wearing that brace that looked like it weighed more than he did. He was still good, but IMHO never the same.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
We don’t really know what programs would be will to play us in a one off at their site because we’ve never been willing to do that. The chances we’re going to get those teams into the Stu going forward is very small, but that means those programs are going to have even more home slots to fill. We should be able to find one or two road games against decent P6 schools each season, but we have to be willing to do that first.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
We don’t really know what programs would be will to play us in a one off at their site because we’ve never been willing to do that. The chances we’re going to get those teams into the Stu going forward is very small, but that means those programs are going to have even more home slots to fill. We should be able to find one or two road games against decent P6 schools each season, but we have to be willing to do that first.
Exactly.... like I'd be interested to know when the last time we played a true Road Game that wasn't part of a tournament.... nor was it part of any sort of H&H agreement, nor the Bracketbusters concept?

Anyone happen to know the answer to this?

2017-18... we played @ #19 Seton Hall as part of some Never Forget Tribute Classic that had 4 teams playing in it... Which I'm not counting.

Beyond that there hasn't been one at least since before the 09-10 season.

Last edited:

Mercury

Elite Member
Why do we need to go play a big name on the road with no return game? What benefit would that bring to the program that playing a neutral site game wouldn't? This isn't something that top 50 programs have historically done so I'm curious as to why folks think we should take up this practice.

Not winning the big games over the years has done more damage to our tournament seeding/chances than a lack of quality opponents has.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Why do we need to go play a big name on the road with no return game? What benefit would that bring to the program that playing a neutral site game wouldn't? This isn't something that top 50 programs have historically done so I'm curious as to why folks think we should take up this practice.

Not winning the big games over the years has done more damage to our tournament seeding/chances than a lack of quality opponents has.
I get the impression that people are suggesting it due to the current college basketball landscape. You know...realignment, expanded P5 conference schedules, P5s not wanting to agree to h&h series, etc.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I think that road only games are a risk for us as are scheduling a home and home for them is for us. If we can get single road games against top teams every year and that helps get us into or a higher seed in the tourney, then the payoff in the end may be worth having one or two less home games for ourselves. I'm okay with it, but I'm not living in Richmond and not a season ticket holder. I can understand why I would not necessarily want this if I was.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

The purpose would be to find more Q1 and Q2 games to replace Q3 and Q4 home games. We’ve already tried to find neutral court games and haven’t had much success the last few years. Since it’s becoming harder and harder to get home and neutral series against these teams, playing on the road is probably becoming the only option. Also, games that would be Q1 on the road would often be Q2 at a neutral site.

I don’t want to do this a ton. One each year with a second every other year would probably be enough.

Mercury

Elite Member
I get the impression that people are suggesting it due to the current college basketball landscape. You know...realignment, expanded P5 conference schedules, P5s not wanting to agree to h&h series, etc.

We can't blame the landscape when other teams in the A-10 don't seem to have this problem.