VCU cancels the best rivalry in Virginia college basketball

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
There are a lot of possibilities.
  • If its a directive from the A10, that would be encouraging that the A10 was trying to help the league but we shall see
  • If it was VCU ONLY decision, I assume that used data other than emotional attachment to come to the decision(which is fine by me
  • No matter the reason, there will be those that believe the two teams should play as long as they both field teams but things do change
  • It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds

Absolutely not. That “rivalry” tends to be much better for VCU than the one with ODU as Richmond has been ranked higher in KenPom than ODU 8 of the last 10 years. Plus they’re in our conference so it’s unlikely those games are going away…
I know it is a crazy idea, but I get more stressed watching us play the Spiders than ODU. I do not go the game when we play the Spiders.

Major Ram 2.0

Elite Member
This is sad in a way. ODU game was always intense. Always competitive. Not sure what’s driving this. It’s not like we’re clearing the slate to replace them with a home and home with a P5 school. Any P5 will be at a neutral court if not away. They ain’t coming to the Stu. Concerned the replacement may be inferior to even ODU. Head scratcher for me

BigE

Elite Member
FVK0AuBWAAMga1K

Rev Pav @VCUPav
#oduhateweek
#RIP

BigE

Elite Member
This is sad in a way. ODU game was always intense. Always competitive. Not sure what’s driving this. It’s not like we’re clearing the slate to replace them with a home and home with a P5 school. Any P5 will be at a neutral court if not away. They ain’t coming to the Stu. Concerned the replacement may be inferior to even ODU. Head scratcher for me
W-A-S

VRam

Elite Member
VCU routinely schedules 3-5 teams in our OOC that will not help our NET other than a Tier 4 victory

At least ODU was often competitive games and had some fan interest (their NET each of the last 4 years was 201,132,173,101) -

I hope our season ticket holders enjoy that Morgan State, Illinois State, Radford , Navy gauntlet -

In all seriousness, MR needs to go on the road more frequently in OOC and play a team that projects into top 50 in NET and get more Tier 1 opportunities - liked seeing he tried to play Baylor but he has to get realistic that top 20 teams ain't playing us on neutral courts like Dallas - until we become a sweet 16 team with regularity or top 25 every year

go rams
How many of those 3-5 teams do we play on the road?

VRam

Elite Member
This "rivalry" lost its juice years ago. Let ODU and JMU enjoy their pillow fight with each other. Hopefully walking away from this annual obligation frees us to add a better game to our schedule. Now, if we replace ODU with North Dakota State I'll be ticked off. The only negative is that we have so many alumni in the 757 who will lose the opportunity to conveniently watch VCU hoops in person.
It's not that far.