VCU Facebook post about Black and Gold Donors to Renew by June 30

I gotten several FB Ads/posts about VCU now extending the May deadline for donation for Black and Gold donors to renew to June 30th.
I wonder why VCU is giving an extension for B&G donors only.
Could it be because VCU raised the donation level only for B&G donors by $750, almost double the previous year's minimum donation level?
This after charging only the B&G donors $250 extra for their seats based on the Right to Purchase tax law change, all other levels did not have to pay more for 4 seats. Since there were a little more than 1,300 unsold season tickets, there is no reason to donate $1,750, when you will be able to get good seats with the lowest level donation or buy single game tickets with good seats.
The Tax law does not require a Right to purchase fee if season tickets are not sold out.
VCU does not know how many season tickets are sold for each donation level, the FOIA officer has told me this several times.
This tells me it's a is a big mistake raising the B&G minimum level only.

I gotten several FB Ads/posts about VCU now extending the May deadline for donation for Black and Gold donors to renew to June 30th.
I wonder why VCU is giving an extension for B&G donors only.
Could it be because VCU raised the donation level only for B&G donors by $750, almost double the previous year's minimum donation level?
This after charging only the B&G donors $250 extra for their seats based on the Right to Purchase tax law change, all other levels did not have to pay more for 4 seats. Since there were a little more than 1,300 unsold season tickets, there is no reason to donate $1,750, when you will be able to get good seats with the lowest level donation or buy single game tickets with good seats.
The Tax law does not require a Right to purchase fee if season tickets are not sold out.
VCU does not know how many season tickets are sold for each donation level, the FOIA officer has told me this several times.
This tells me it's a is a big mistake raising the B&G minimum level only.
How does VCU NOT KNOW how many tickets are sold for each donation level? Seems like if the didn't know they could not rank seating?

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
How does VCU NOT KNOW how many tickets are sold for each donation level? Seems like if the didn't know they could not rank seating?
I'm sure they do know to some extent...

But also think bout this.... If you donate $5000 but you choose to sit in a $1000 level seat.... then your tickets are going towards that donor level technically... despite you donating higher amounts.

Then on top of that... any season tickets that go unsold... turn into single game or 4-pack tickets if they do an offer for those.

So hypothetically lets say you wanna look at section 10 (random number).... on the "projected map" it might say it's for the $999 & under level.... but in that section you may have $2500 donors, $5000 donors, or single game tickets in that section... as well as the $999 and under group.

so that could be kind of confusing.... but I'm sure there's still a way they can figure it out.

As far as seeing how many people donate at which levels (regardless of where they decide to sit)... they can absolutely do that.... no matter what they try to say otherwise.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I think that as long as VCU has available season tickets, they will promote donations/ season ticket packages. Getting your donation in on time guarantees your seat and keeping your CC rights. But I wouldnt read into FB posts or FB ads targeting you. FB knows you post things about B&G Society and VCU and donations, so it sends you targeted ads for those topics. I would expect VCU to make an effort to sell tickets all year as long as there is inventory.

I've asked that question and other similar questions. Responses from FOIA - The applications that contain the "raw data" are not managed by IT. The two databases are applications that are accessible to Athletics staff. One contains ticketing information and the other contains fundraising information. Each system is reported on by the year (donation fiscal year and basketball season) and each season and fiscal year are reported on individually. Requesting the raw data only eliminates totaling the number of capital campaign donors at each level for each year. The estimated cost to provide you with these data points for each year from 2017-2021 is $105 (3 hours at $35/hour). As previously communicated, this is a cost estimate and not a certainty. Please let me know if you wish to proceed." "It is a cost estimate not a certainty. As I've previously communicated, the report you have requested does not exist. The creation of the report is a manual process as the data points necessary to create it exist in separate systems that do not "talk". If it takes less time to create it than estimated, you would be billed accordingly. If you prefer, you can certainly elect to proceed with your original request which is for one year (2020-2021) at an estimated cost of $70. Please let me know. Thank you." ----> I was an IT system developer for 40 years, and this would be IMO a requirement. Instead of posting an Ad on FB, it would have been better to contact those who have not renewed at B&G level directly by email, or the best way a personal phone call. The ad tells everyone VCU has lost B&G donors, from a marketing perspective that seems foolish to me. They could at least find out why they did not renew. ($1,750 min. level?) I'm told I will have the information by EOD Friday.

I think that as long as VCU has available season tickets, they will promote donations/ season ticket packages. Getting your donation in on time guarantees your seat and keeping your CC rights. But I wouldnt read into FB posts or FB ads targeting you. FB knows you post things about B&G Society and VCU and donations, so it sends you targeted ads for those topics. I would expect VCU to make an effort to sell tickets all year as long as there is inventory.
I've not posted anything on FB about it, until I got the Ad. There were about 1/3 unsold ST last year, meaning Demand was down more than previous years. It's does not make sense to raise the donation level only for the lower B&G donors, if you want to sell season tickets. There are only so many that are willing to donate at the higher level. (And show up at games). Has Ed not heard of the Law of Supply and Demand? Econ 101. Last year Ed added the additional $250 RTP fee months after deadline for B&G donors only and also lower levels after the RAF donation deadline, leaving little choice to pay it or not get tickets. Isn't this a trick often used by Con Men? Just asking for a Friend (LOL). I expect when ST go on sales, VCU will have some promotion to buy ST. I'm sure I got ad due to other VCU posts I get.

Last edited:

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I've not posted anything on FB about it, until I got the Ad. There were about 1/3 unsold ST last year, meaning Demand was down more than previous years. It's does not make sense to raise the donation level only for the lower B&G donors, if you want to sell season tickets. There are only so many that are willing to donate at the higher level. (And show up at games). Has Ed not heard of the Law of Supply and Demand? Econ 101. Last year Ed added the additional $250 RTP fee months for B&G donors only and also lower levels after the RAF donation deadline, leaving little choice to pay it or not get tickets. Isn't this a trick often used by Con Men? Just asking for a Friend (LOL). I expect when ST go on sales, VCU will have some promotion to buy ST.
FB is monitoring your posts on here. It knows everything you do online. Real talk, not conspiracy theories. It is how they make money. Same with Amazon and Google.
And Ed is going to learn the hard way of Eco 101 and what happens when you fly to close to the sun. I dont think they have found a bottom to the shenanigans he concocted the past 3 years. Once they do find a bottom and quit losing customers, the dept will have to start building it up again thru trust and adjusting things thru supply and demand..

FB is monitoring your posts on here. It knows everything you do online. Real talk, not conspiracy theories. It is how they make money. Same with Amazon and Google.
How or why, I got the post is not the point. I got it because of other VCU posts I do get. The question is why a directed ad to all who FB have referenced VCU? There cannot be that many of the Total people the Ad went to that are B&G donors, who have not renewed. Since it's an Ad, VCU has to pay FB a fee. Sending a personal Email or Phone call to those who have not renewed would have been better.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
How or why, I got the post is not the point. I got it because of other VCU posts I do get. The question is why a directed ad to all who FB have referenced VCU? There cannot be that many of the Total people the Ad went to that are B&G donors, who have not renewed. Since it's an Ad, VCU has to pay FB a fee. Sending a personal Email or Phone call to those who have not renewed would have been better.
Most definitely! I think social media ads that are targeted to me are creepy.

As I expected I did not get the information by EOD Friday, now it's Monday. I asked on Tuesday how I would be getting the information, is it a report, a file, a spreadsheet or other? This was the reply:
"Because the report does not already exist and is being created specifically because of your request, I cannot tell you in advance what the finished product will look like."
If VCU doesn't know what they are going to provide, then how can they know the information and process to get the correct information?

I can't understand why they say it's needing a manual process, when there are plenty of IT query software that could produce the information. The only thing I can think of is that the "System Donor Id Key" is not the same in the 2 databases.