VCU First Four to Final Four 9th Anniversary

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
Hard to believe that it's been 9 years ago today that we finished our magical run from the First Four to the Final Four. What an amazing time it was.

I know there are videos out there, so please post 'em and we can reminisce about those wonderful times as we're all stuck at home.

For me, I'll be spending the day drinkin' from my Village Café Final Four glasses:

VCU, Go Rams GO!!!

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
The NCAA March Madness YouTube channel has been uploading full classic games since this year’s tournament was canceled, and our win over Kansas was recently one of them!

That’s awesome, haven’t been able to find anything other than highlights!
I know what I’ll be doing this evening:D

Reactions: VCUPepBandRules

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
That’s awesome, haven’t been able to find anything other than highlights!
I know what I’ll be doing this evening:D
What were we thinking....pressing ,trapping , shooting threes...no way we win this game playing that style.

Anybody that ripped Shaka’s coaching should watch this game and take notes

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
Hmm, I thought there would be more people begging for a distraction as we all have a long road ahead. I know I've been slammed all day with Cancer and now COVID-19 data requests, but I was able to find a copy of the VCU Purdue game, not the best quality but still darn fun to watch...

Dabrie

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So, I watched the Georgetown game last night and now Purdue. Brandon "The Mayor" Rozzell was a Beast! Also, the way JRod handled the offense was spectacular. Very aggressive and lots of movement on O and not over commiting on D.
I hope the team watches these games to see what makes our style of play so effective when played correctly.

Jul 30, 2014
I remember people clowning Mason for celebrating their 10th anniversary of their final 4 run.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
So, I watched the Georgetown game last night and now Purdue. Brandon "The Mayor" Rozzell was a Beast! Also, the way JRod handled the offense was spectacular. Very aggressive and lots of movement on O and not over commiting on D.
I hope the team watches these games to see what makes our style of play so effective when played correctly.
And folks act like our offense is so much different now. It's pretty much the same offense and only looks different now because shots weren't falling, and because Joey turned into a beast at probing opposing defenses and making the right decisions. This is why a good PG is so crucial to our system. Bones and especially Ace are capable of making our offense look that good again.

Reactions: Dabrie

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
And folks act like our offense is so much different now. It's pretty much the same offense and only looks different now because shots weren't falling, and because Joey turned into a beast at probing opposing defenses and making the right decisions. This is why a good PG is so crucial to our system. Bones and especially Ace are capable of making our offense look that good again.
Kansas game-
Watching Joey dribble in and through the D and come out and reset.
People cutting in a split second, and ready to go after the cut.
there were plenty of missed shots and some scoring drought. But held on.
Love to get that back!

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Jimmies and the joes boys and girls not the ex’s and the os...anybody posting any different just doesn’t understand

Reactions: PRock

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
We can only hope so.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I watched the documentary on the Final Four run last night. It’s on Amazon Video if anyone is interested. It never gets old reliving that time. The one thing that stocks with me is Shaka, the staff and the players talking about their mental approach during the run. They just played free and loose, without any mental clutter.

The mental side of sports is so important. I think this past season showed what can happen when a team has too much mental clutter and “stuff” going on unrelated to basketball, in addition to the difficulties on the floor.