VCU Media Mentions

Mar 5, 2014
We need our own baseball field so we don't have to play the complete May schedule on the road. Plus add softball!
Baseball stadium for maybe 3,000 and softball for 1,000 fans. High schools can use for state playoffs.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
Is there anything in Richmond resembling the Sports Backers? Is there anything at all as far as vision is concerned. I think ECRobins had one but he surely didnt see the ascent of VCU. I would love to see VCU acquire the ABC and also city stadium for a possible softball stadium.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
A Tennis Center, with indoor and outdoor courts (the university's master plan will take the current space in a few years), practice fields for soccer and lacrosse (soccer practices in a city park and on high school fields when the park isn't available), and an indoor fieldhouse for all sports, at a minimum.
So still no plans for women's softball? Three teams go to the NCAA from Va and JMU to super regionals after beating UM twice in Ann Arbor. But just like a few other sports, we are still undefeated.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Is there anything in Richmond resembling the Sports Backers? Is there anything at all as far as vision is concerned. I think ECRobins had one but he surely didnt see the ascent of VCU. I would love to see VCU acquire the ABC and also city stadium for a possible softball stadium.
I believe the city made a deal with the Richmond Kickers to keep city stadium for like 20+ years

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
So still no plans for women's softball? Three teams go to the NCAA from Va and JMU to super regionals after beating UM twice in Ann Arbor. But just like a few other sports, we are still undefeated.
I watched those games. Megan Good is a Shenandoah Valley girl that can sling it. She has been a great pitcher at JMU since day one of her arrival. I chuckled at some of the headlines calling it an upset. I know Michigan was the higher seed and playing at home but the JMU girls beat them in the regular season and 2 out of 3 in the regional bracket. My Pops follows them so he was happy last night.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
I watched those games. Megan Good is a Shenandoah Valley girl that can sling it. She has been a great pitcher at JMU since day one of her arrival. I chuckled at some of the headlines calling it an upset. I know Michigan was the higher seed and playing at home but the JMU girls beat them in the regular season and 2 out of 3 in the regional bracket. My Pops follows them so he was happy last night.
Page Co girl, no 1 pitcher in the country. JMU coach is a Montross/Northumberland girl.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
We should probably talk about what we do have. The athletic village would enhance our fantastic tennis program. Yesterday, Diaz-Delgado advanced to the second round of the NCAA Singles Tournament after defeating Melissa Lord of Stanford in three sets. That was a HUGE win for her and the program.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
AFAIK the new baseball stadium under consideration for the ABC warehouse site would be jointly owned by VCU and the city (through the RMTA) and operated by VCU.

City Stadium is firmly within the hands of the Kickers and their investors, and I don't see any VCU (or any other) presence there happening any time soon...though when that deal expires, City Stadium should be a muuuuuuch nicer facility.

Personally I think getting that tennis facility off the ground should be the top priority for VCU Athletics (or at least second only to the new ballpark). Baseball and tennis need those facilities badly because they're overlooked powerhouses.

Reactions: mrgeode

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
AFAIK the new baseball stadium under consideration for the ABC warehouse site would be jointly owned by VCU and the city (through the RMTA) and operated by VCU.

City Stadium is firmly within the hands of the Kickers and their investors, and I don't see any VCU (or any other) presence there happening any time soon...though when that deal expires, City Stadium should be a muuuuuuch nicer facility.

Personally I think getting that tennis facility off the ground should be the top priority for VCU Athletics (or at least second only to the new ballpark). Baseball and tennis need those facilities badly because they're overlooked powerhouses.
The records for Men and Women is phenomenal, but not quite a national contender yet. We need that facility before Kostas retires.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA