VCU Media Mentions

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
VCU gets the other top 5 teams home and home. VCU also gets the 5 bottom feeders only once. That's good for VCU. Can't worry about the rest of the league at this point.
Fordham ahead of 4 teams, GW, LaSalle, GW and UMASS????!!!! They just lost their only decent player nick honor.

Ok, that alone is enough to convince me kenpom is a load of crap.

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
Isn't Gonzaga in the same conference as St. Mary's? Does that mean an ACC team could technically be considered a mid major? I never got the distinction but at least we can be the biggest baddest underdog this year, I'll take it.

zackry93

Top Member
Insider
Mar 14, 2016
VCU is ranked 25th in the AP

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
VCU is ranked 25th in the AP

Purdue #23, LSU #24, Tennesee #28, and FSU #30!

That's 3 possible top 30 wins in november!

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Isn't Gonzaga in the same conference as St. Mary's? Does that mean an ACC team could technically be considered a mid major? I never got the distinction but at least we can be the biggest baddest underdog this year, I'll take it.
Gonzaga is not considered a mid-major, similarly to how Wichita State was no longer considered a mid-major by a lot of the talking heads (while still in the MVC), because they recruit at a very high level and they're able to schedule and beat high-major schools on a regular basis. St. Mary's can't exactly boast that even though they've been ranked quite a bit during the past few years, and they've even beaten Gonzaga a few times including in last season's WCC tournament.

We'll be considered a mid-major for a while yet until we're able to start dominating the conference on a regular basis both in wins and recruiting. VCU being the "Gonzaga of the East" is doable but tough with Duke, UVA, and UNC in our backyard.

Umm.......what?!

Someone can't count. And that someone is me. We'd only play three of those teams.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Gonzaga is not considered a mid-major, similarly to how Wichita State is no longer considered a mid-major by a lot of the talking heads, because they recruit at a very high level and they're able to schedule and beat high-major schools on a regular basis. St. Mary's can't exactly boast that even though they've been ranked quite a bit during the past few years, and they've even beaten Gonzaga a few times including in last season's WCC tournament.

We'll be considered a mid-major for a while yet until we're able to start dominating the conference on a regular basis both in wins and recruiting. VCU being the "Gonzaga of the East" is doable but tough with Duke, UVA, and UNC in our backyard.
Wichita State is not in a mid-major conference. The AAC is not considered mid-major.

Jul 30, 2014
Gonzaga is not considered a mid-major, similarly to how Wichita State was no longer considered a mid-major by a lot of the talking heads (while still in the MVC), because they recruit at a very high level and they're able to schedule and beat high-major schools on a regular basis. St. Mary's can't exactly boast that even though they've been ranked quite a bit during the past few years, and they've even beaten Gonzaga a few times including in last season's WCC tournament.

Someone can't count. And that someone is me. We'd only play three of those teams.
Not sure you can just single out a school. I remember when the A10 was at its peak with VCU, Dayton, Butler, Xavier and Temple were all in the conference, A10 school were not considered for mid-major poles. Seems like VCU only recently been included back in those poles.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
2019-10-22_105025.jpg

I've always known it was difficult but neevr really truly knew the amount of strings needing pulling to make a schedule something to move a team up. This is one catch and read if you can, explaining a lot of what goes into scheduling which can make or break a team's RPI, which in the end means everything, who you play is a giant part of that whole deal. Martelli is the man at the helm along with Coach Rhoades in making our RPI something to behold. https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/plus/scheduling-isn-t-easy-but-vcu-strives-to-hit-the/article_09cd5357-c716-5d0b-9c1f-7bb0eb9c2d44.html