VCU Media Mentions

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
View attachment 7591

I've always known it was difficult but neevr really truly knew the amount of strings needing pulling to make a schedule something to move a team up. This is one catch and read if you can, explaining a lot of what goes into scheduling which can make or break a team's RPI, which in the end means everything, who you play is a giant part of that whole deal. Martelli is the man at the helm along with Coach Rhoades in making our RPI something to behold. https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/plus/scheduling-isn-t-easy-but-vcu-strives-to-hit-the/article_09cd5357-c716-5d0b-9c1f-7bb0eb9c2d44.html
There are several things I like about this story. First, that it is insightful. Not because it exposes so much the inner workings of college basketball scheduling, but that the program is striving to put out the best product. One way of doing that is by scheduling tough opponents. I despise teams that primarily schedule creampuffs on their home floors for their OOC schedule. I’m looking at you, Duke.

Second, because I have always had immense respect for the Martelli family and to have Jimmy here as our DOBO tells me and others that we do things the right way. One of those ways is by surrounding yourself with the best people possible. We have a long-standing tradition of that here at VCU. Just look at all the HCs that were once assistants here.

Third, because it is just another quality article that Wayne Epps did to provide us fans with excellent information about our program. I and other long time Ram fans remember when the local newspaper provided very little of that. It is a real treat to have insightful, well written and regular articles to keep us informed.

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
There are several things I like about this story. First, that it is insightful. Not because it exposes so much the inner workings of college basketball scheduling, but that the program is striving to put out the best product. One way of doing that is by scheduling tough opponents. I despise teams that primarily schedule creampuffs on their home floors for their OOC schedule. I’m looking at you, Duke.

Second, because I have always had immense respect for the Martelli family and to have Jimmy here as our DOBO tells me and others that we do things the right way. One of those ways is by surrounding yourself with the best people possible. We have a long-standing tradition of that here at VCU. Just look at all the HCs that were once assistants here.

Third, because it is just another quality article that Wayne Epps did to provide us fans with excellent information about our program. I and other long time Ram fans remember when the local newspaper provided very little of that. It is a real treat to have insightful, well written and regular articles to keep us informed.
Wayne Epps is the best thing to ever happen to RTD Sports. He’s a very talented young sports journalist and I’m enjoying every word/tweet he puts out on VCU basketball. He’s a great writer outside of VCU basketball too. Enjoy it while it lasts, he’ll be on to bigger and better gigs before too long.

vcumcvram

Top Member
Apr 7, 2010
https://www.yurview.com/uri-rams/five-a-10-mens-basketball-break-out-candidates/

VINCE WILLIAMS: Sophomore – VCU

Photo Courtesy VCU Athletics
The 6-foot-6, 210 pound wing oozes versatility and slotted in as a valued contributor as a freshman in 2018-19, averaging 4.9 points and 3.3 rebounds in 15.4 minutes of action. That’s a surface scratch for what’s possible from Williams in the coming years, as his innate athleticism will serve him well on the offensive end and in helping the Rams maintain the defensive prowess they rediscovered in year two under Mike Rhoades. As VCU color analyst Mike Litos texted me earlier this week, “Vince is one of those guys who is a half-play ahead of everybody else. He has size, length, uses his body well and is a disruptive player — a nice way of saying he’s a pain in the rear for opponents.” Keep an eye on this pain in the rear from the opening tip this year. He has the all-around game, tools, and IQ to make life miserable for many.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
https://www.yurview.com/uri-rams/five-a-10-mens-basketball-break-out-candidates/

The 6-foot-6, 210 pound wing oozes versatility and slotted in as a valued contributor as a freshman in 2018-19, averaging 4.9 points and 3.3 rebounds in 15.4 minutes of action. That’s a surface scratch for what’s possible from Williams in the coming years, as his innate athleticism will serve him well on the offensive end and in helping the Rams maintain the defensive prowess they rediscovered in year two under Mike Rhoades. As VCU color analyst Mike Litos texted me earlier this week, “Vince is one of those guys who is a half-play ahead of everybody else. He has size, length, uses his body well and is a disruptive player — a nice way of saying he’s a pain in the rear for opponents.” Keep an eye on this pain in the rear from the opening tip this year. He has the all-around game, tools, and IQ to make life miserable for many.
I'll always tell people, the day he officially visited, the look in his eye when we came down toward out cart and reached out to shake my hand was a look of pure intoxicated exhilaration. Shaking my hand he had this look while nodding his head in a "YES!" way, his eyes told me, "I'm about to grab this sht!". He knew exactly what he wanted on day one. He's never wavered, Vince is a Ram and has been since he stepped foot on VCU's campus, perhaps before that. He'll go down as one of the most devoted Rams ever.

vcumcvram

Top Member
Apr 7, 2010
https://commonwealthtimes.org/2019/10/22/tre-clark-brings-high-level-shooting-to-vcu-basketball/

Tre Clark brings high-level shooting to VCU basketball
October 22, 2019 Sports Editor The Basketball Issue 0

Freshman guard Tre Clark logged 6 points in the Black and Gold game. Photo by Jon Mirador
Noah Fleischman, Sports Editor
When freshman guard Tre Clark was young, he shot a basketball with his left hand. In fact, he did everything with his left hand, from writing to playing sports. That all changed when he was nine, and his dad wanted him to know how to shoot with either hand. Clark said it was difficult at first, but after 10 years of practice, he’s mastered shooting with his right.
Clark, who is now ambidextrous in basketball, said he models his game around Brooklyn Nets guard Kyrie Irving.
“He’s crafty with the ball and can do anything with either hand,” Clark said. “I’m very versatile and crafty with the ball and [making] plays.”
Shooting with his right hand hasn’t been a problem for Clark; he averaged 20 points and three steals last season at Newton High School in Georgia.
Last year, in a game against Newton’s rival, Eastside High School, Clark hit the game-winning shot.
“I was ready to knock it down,” Clark said. “It was a rivalry game, so the gym was packed. It was crazy. It was a lot of excitement.”
Clark’s shooting and his ability to force steals fit right into coach Mike Rhoades’ Havoc style of defense. The Rams’ play style is one of the things that attracted him to VCU, Clark said.
The freshman was not used to the full-court press entering college, but he’s getting the hang of it.
“It can be tiring, but it’s all worth it because once everyone does their job, it makes it easier on whoever is guarding the ball,” Clark said.
Clark got a taste of the Rams’ defense in action at the Black and Gold game, where he logged two steals in 13 minutes of action. He logged 6 points in the team’s annual intrasquad scrimmage, catching Rhoades’ eye.
“Tre Clark has great ability, he can really guard the ball and make plays with the ball in his hands,” Rhoades told The Commonwealth Times earlier this month.
Clark was not only introduced to the Rams’ play style but also to the Siegel Center crowd.
“All the fans, they show a lot of love,” Clark said. “That’s what I like about VCU, all the fans show a lot of love. It’s a great support system.”
The support system also lies in the team’s coaching staff. Clark said he’s comfortable at VCU because of the coaches.
“The VCU staff shows a lot of love, it’s like family here,” Clark said. “It’s almost like being back at home, where I get a lot of love from my parents and my siblings.”

Feb 3, 2011
VCU is ranked 25th in the AP

You know I should be happy we are finally in the top 25 to start the year(sure this poll means nothing but good to already be in and not have to win 15 games in a row to be ranked first) but I was little irritated. Almost every preseason poll we saw had us between 15-24/25. I would have been furious if we would have been in the "list receiving votes" category. VCU is a top 25 team and has the talent to be top 15. Time to show it boys!!

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

zackry93

Top Member
Insider
Mar 14, 2016

Names Hyland as one of the 10 best freshman to outplay their rankings

Recruitment: Hyland went through injuries and hardship before and during his senior season and ended up playing during the spring of his senior year. Rather than head to prep school, he chose to reward one of the schools who stuck with him through it all: VCU.

Why he could outplay ranking: I really wish I had more time to see Hyland and that I could have seen him more against the class of 2019. He lacks strength, but is such a natural scorer off the dribble and from deep that I can see him turning into a conference player of the year candidate at VCU. It’s going to be all about adding strength and continuing to shake off the rust, but he’s one that has huge upside.

Last edited:

Ram20ROB

Top Member
Nov 12, 2014
Article from Richmond Magazine. Their pick for the Top 5 games from 20 years in The Stu.
So many great moments that the Butler game only made honorable mention.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Article from Richmond Magazine. Their pick for the Top 5 games from 20 years in The Stu.
So many great moments that the Butler game only made honorable mention.

You are so cultured. Reading Richmond Magazine and all :D