VCU Media Mentions

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
3. Purdue vs. VCU (Nov. 29, Emerald Coast Classic)
This game in the Emerald Coast Classic will be fun. I’m yet to buy into VCU’s ability to win games against some of these solid high-majors, so I think Purdue will get the first round victory.

Winner: Purdue

Steve Roadcap

Top Member
Oct 18, 2015
3. Purdue vs. VCU (Nov. 29, Emerald Coast Classic)
This game in the Emerald Coast Classic will be fun. I’m yet to buy into VCU’s ability to win games against some of these solid high-majors, so I think Purdue will get the first round victory.

Winner: Purdue
I hope we prove this guy is talking out of his arse and beat both Perdue and LSU. He is certainly shows little respect to the Rams.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I see where they’re coming from with that though. We haven’t been beating these P5 teams much in the non-conference OOC portion of the schedules over the last several years, even under Shaka.

To be fair, if you pull our regular-season record against P5s over the course of what is clearly the golden age of VCU basketball, it’s probably well below .500.

For these national sportswriters, it’s basically put up or shut up. That’s just how it goes until we actually beat these teams more regularly.

Being at home I think we have a great shot at beating LSU. Wouldn’t be surprised if we dropped it though. That said I would never bet against our Rams on our own court.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I see where they’re coming from with that though. We haven’t been beating these P5 teams much in the non-conference OOC portion of the schedules.

To be fair, if you pull our regular-season record against P5s over the course of what is clearly the golden age of VCU basketball, it’s probably well below .500.

For these national sportswriters, it’s basically put up or shut up. That’s just how it goes until we actually beat these teams more regularly.

Being at home I think we have a great shot at beating LSU though. Wouldn’t be surprised if we dropped it though. That said I would never bet against our Rams on our own court.
I agree. At some point VCU has to start beating some of these P5 schools on a regular basis in the regular season if we want to truly run with the big boys and prove that we belong in the Top 25.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDPolio

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I agree. At some point VCU to start beating some of these P5 schools on a regular basis in the regular season if we want to truly run with the big boys and prove that we belong in the Top 25.
Yeah man, I remember it happening even before Bri went down in what was supposed to be the top flight year for VCU. We had a full strength Bri, Tre and Juvonte as seniors and got run out of the gym by Villanova right after we got ranked #10 after beating UVA at JPJ (actually one of the few legit P5 OOC wins we’ve had in the last several years).

We got straight up pasted in that game against Villanova, we were down something like 30 points over the course of that game. It gave credence to those that were skeptical that our style works at our ‘level’ but is still just gimmicky against power conference teams.

Sucks to have that perception, the only way to shut ‘em up is to win the games. Hoping we do a lot of that this season.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah man, I remember it happening even before Bri went down in what was supposed to be the top flight year for VCU. We had a full strength Bri, Tre and Juvonte as seniors and got run out of the gym by Villanova right after we got ranked #10 after beating UVA at JPJ (actually one of the few legit P5 OOC wins we’ve had in the last several years).

We got straight up pasted in that game against Villanova, we were down something like 30 points over the course of that game. It gave credence to those that were skeptical that our style works at our ‘level’ but is still just gimmicky against power conference teams.

Sucks to have that perception, the only way to shut ‘em up is to win the games. Hoping we do a lot of that this season.
I have subjected myself to that indignation by watching that game twice. We got destroyed on a billion villanova pump fakes lol!

For those interested in feeling the pain of brushing your teeth with a sanding machine, here is that famous vcu Villanova game.

Last edited:

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
This year's team has what it takes to be special and personally i'm just fine with a bunch of talking heads not realizing it yet.

The team should be better at every position vs last year and deeper too. How many conference winners/NCAA tourney teams got better at all 5 spots?

Amazingly we may see the most improvement at the 1 spot:

Injured Junior year Evans + PJ for backup VS Healthy Senior year Evans + Bones for backup

Mar 1, 2015
I see where they’re coming from with that though. We haven’t been beating these P5 teams much in the non-conference OOC portion of the schedules over the last several years, even under Shaka.

Being at home I think we have a great shot at beating LSU. Wouldn’t be surprised if we dropped it though. That said I would never bet against our Rams on our own court.
LSU is replacing it’s top scorers, rebounders, interior defense, of and leader. VCU will hit the ground running while LSU is still figuring it out. I like the Rams at home - but never count out a Will Wade team, always in the game.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
This year's team has what it takes to be special and personally i'm just fine with a bunch of talking heads not realizing it yet.

The team should be better at every position vs last year and deeper too. How many conference winners/NCAA tourney teams got better at all 5 spots?

Amazingly we may see the most improvement at the 1 spot:

Injured Junior year Evans + PJ for backup VS Healthy Senior year Evans + Bones for backup
Totally agree with this post on all counts.