VCU Media Mentions

May 1, 2009
My only worry about the LSU game is that when it comes to big games we always seem to come out so hyped up we are stiff. It takes us too long to settle down and play the way we know we can play. If that happens and LSU gets up by 10 or 15 it will be a struggle to play the catchup game. We have done it before but more often than not, we get close but can never get over the final hump to take and keep the lead.
There are going to be a couple of players on the team (starters) who will want to show WW what he left behind. But they can't come out so hyped up they can't shoot the ball straight. They need to take a meditation minute and start out in the flow.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Yeah man, I remember it happening even before Bri went down in what was supposed to be the top flight year for VCU. We had a full strength Bri, Tre and Juvonte as seniors and got run out of the gym by Villanova right after we got ranked #10 after beating UVA at JPJ (actually one of the few legit P5 OOC wins we’ve had in the last several years).

We got straight up pasted in that game against Villanova, we were down something like 30 points over the course of that game. It gave credence to those that were skeptical that our style works at our ‘level’ but is still just gimmicky against power conference teams.

Sucks to have that perception, the only way to shut ‘em up is to win the games. Hoping we do a lot of that this season.
Ha, UR had us beat good before Bri got hurt that night.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Not sure why that is funny. VCU sent them home in the A10 tournament and won the championship that year. I can still see Briante hopping around on one leg overcome with joy after VCU beat Dayton. Sad he had his senior year cut short.
Yeah.
If there is a most memorable bottom moment for me, when he went down is in the top 1.
his hops after, well, they approach the other end so there is that!

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Not sure why that is funny. VCU sent them home in the A10 tournament and won the championship that year. I can still see Briante hopping around on one leg overcome with joy after VCU beat Dayton. Sad he had his senior year cut short.
We got run out the gym both times when we were healthy. Game was over brfore he went down. Sure put a wet blanket on the remainder of the year.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
We got run out the gym both times when we were healthy. Game was over brfore he went down. Sure put a wet blanket on the remainder of the year.
LOL what is wrong with you, man? "Run out of the gym both times?" We played them 3 times that year. The first game was an 8 point loss where we were UP by 6 points at the half, the second game was 2 OTs and the other was a 3 point game.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This is ridiculous. VCU sent them home in the A10 tournament. It was great fun for me. I am still not sure why you think losing to UR was funny.

PS-Briante got hurt in the first game so VCU played most of the A10 season without him.

Last edited:

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
Yeah man, I remember it happening even before Bri went down in what was supposed to be the top flight year for VCU. We had a full strength Bri, Tre and Juvonte as seniors and got run out of the gym by Villanova right after we got ranked #10 after beating UVA at JPJ (actually one of the few legit P5 OOC wins we’ve had in the last several years).

We got straight up pasted in that game against Villanova, we were down something like 30 points over the course of that game. It gave credence to those that were skeptical that our style works at our ‘level’ but is still just gimmicky against power conference teams.

Sucks to have that perception, the only way to shut ‘em up is to win the games. Hoping we do a lot of that this season.
That was actually FSU than ran us out of the gym in Puerto Rico after beating UVA in Charlottesville and then rising to #10 in the polls. That was probably the most painful game I’ve witnessed VCU play in person. They had a few players still on that team from the 2011 Sweet Sixteen game and played like they were still pissed about the loss. There was a whole lot of chatter and chippy play on the court that night. You could hear every bit of it in the stands with such a small crowd.

Villanova ran us out of the gym the next season on their way to a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. That was Bri & Tre‘s senior year, and IMO the game that truly opened the door to Shaka bolting after multiple shellackings by P5 schools in recent years post-Final Four run. They sliced through our press with ease when we were at full strength, with one of the most loaded rosters VCU has ever seen. Jay Wright did his homework and exposed the weaknesses in Shaka’s system on both sides of the ball to absolute perfection.

Reactions: mrgeode

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
May have missed it if someone else has pointed it out, but that was one of our worst shooting performances of the decade + that Villanova team made a lot of teams look like fools that year and the following year.

If you want to single out any, one game where we looked really bad, it'd be that round of 32 game v. Michigan (in '13?).

Reactions: mrgeode

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
This is ridiculous. VCU sent them home in the A10 tournament. It was great fun for me. I am still not sure why you think losing to UR was funny.

PS-Briante got hurt in the first game so VCU played most of the A10 season without him.
VCU was 17-3 when Weber got hurt late in the UR game. 5-6 thereafter. 22-9 reg season. 4-0 A-10 Tourney.

Reactions: Celticguy