VCU Media Mentions

vcumcvram

Top Member
Apr 7, 2010
Here's one going the opposite direction. Note to those who dont care or worse, dislike, being ranked, this coverage only comes with that sexy #

No. 25 VCU: The Rams have a blistering schedule with LSU, Purdue, Wichita Stateand Charleston all on deck before league play. We'll find out just how good VCU is by then, but the secret's already out: the Rams look like the best team in the Atlantic 10. Again. Here's what Gary Parrish said of VCU after talking with coaches at the league's annual Media Day earlier last week:

When you're the only college basketball program in the country to return the top six scorers from a team that won its conference by multiple games, the idea that anybody else would be picked to add a trophy wouldn't make much sense. So of course VCU is the preseason favorite. But what's most interesting about the Atlantic 10 in general, with the start of the regular season now less than two weeks away, is that despite all of VCU's success from last season, and despite everything it brings back from that team, the Rams are still expected to be pushed at the top of the conference by multiple programs, specifically Davidson and Dayton, because both of those schools also return most of the best pieces from rosters that won a lot. Davidson, coached by Bob McKillop, who should reach the 600-win mark this season, is returning the top six scorers from a team that went 14-4 in the A-10. Dayton, coached by Anthony Grant, who should take a third different school to the NCAA Tournament this season, is returning three of the top four scorers from a team that went 13-5 in the A-10. And when you consider that VCU, Davidson and Dayton featured four of the five players who were First Team All-Atlantic 10 last season, and that each of those players is back this season, it's undeniable that there's some real strength at the top of the league -- evidence being that the Atlantic 10 has three schools getting votes in the preseason Associated Press Top 25 poll for the first time since 2014.
  • Prediction on final AP ranking: No. 11

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
In any case we need to start winning more of these “up” games to be taken more seriously by the national media. I think this squad is up to it though.
I agree....we are going to have to "pass the eye test" as it were. We are going to have to win a couple of big games in the OOC and get to the sweet 16 a time or two before we get real cred by the sports critics. Right now we are a top mid-major....even by the sports critics but we aren't considered a mid major who is also a member of the big boys club like Gonzaga or Wichita or Memphis and a few others. It's unfortunate because there are worse teams in the P5/6 club who critics feel pass the eye test and then they look at us and say, "nope".

Having said that, I do feel like the sports guys feel we are on the cusp. We just have to prove we can get over the hump....and stay on the other side by winning against some of the big boys. Hopefully MR is the man to get us there because a major issue for us has been coaching instability resulting in the loss of some good talent over recent years.

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

39. Marcus Evans, VCU Marcus Evans has torn each of his achilles in the last two years. This offseason was the first offseason since he arrived at VCU as a transfer from Rice that he was able to focus on getting better at basketball instead of, simply, getting better. If he has improved on his shooting – he hit just 27 percent from three last year after shooting 37 percent in 2017 – then it changes things for this VCU team. (RD)

92. Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU The 6-foot-7 native of Taunton, Mass., average 10 points and 7.4 boards for VCU a year ago, and based on the rumblings coming out of Richmond this offseason, he is going to be in line for a major bump as a junior. (RD)

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
22. VCU (1st in A-10): Guard Marcus Evans, a 6'2" redshirt senior, was basically the Rams’ entire offense last year; another threat (possibly 6' 6" sophomore Vince Williams) needs to emerge.
This is the stupidest statement of the year!

Marcus Evan's never made up most of offense.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
This is the stupidest statement of the year!

Marcus Evan's never made up most of offense.

I wouldn't go that far. There have been worse statements. While debatable the facts do show.
  • He scored the most points
  • He had the most assist
  • Both his PPG and assist per 40 min lead the team
  • Both his PPG and assist per 100 possessions led the team

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I wouldn't go that far. There have been worse statements. While debatable the facts do show.
  • He scored the most points
  • He had the most assist
  • Both his PPG and assist per 40 min lead the team
  • Both his PPG and assist per 100 possessions led the team

Couple that with his second statement "another threat (possibly Vince William's needs to emerge".
). Look at my link ...we had 3 other returning players average double figures: IV, DJ and MSS...and he says Vince Williams needs to emerge as the next scoring threat?

Wasnt DJ voted 3rd team pre-season all a10. MSS is in some all A10 teams and is ranked in the top 100 top players in the country in some polls. Yes, Vince needs to emerge but to discount the rest of the players is stupid. The writer didn't do any research.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Couple that with his second statement "another threat (possibly Vince William's needs to emerge".
). Look at my link ...we had 3 other returning players average double figures: IV, DJ and MSS...and he says Vince Williams needs to emerge as the next scoring threat?

Wasnt DJ voted 3rd team pre-season all a10. MSS is in some all A10 teams and is ranked in the top 100 top players in the country in some polls. Yes, Vince needs to emerge but to discount the rest of the players is stupid. The writer didn't do any research.
I see Vince over 10 and and taking charges all over the place. He's got moves to the bucket and super talent. We don't lose a lot when the starters take a rest. Love it! A defensive nightmare squad that only gets much better and deep.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I see Vince over 10 and and taking charges all over the place. He's got moves to the bucket and super talent. We don't lose a lot when the starters take a rest. Love it! A defensive nightmare squad that only gets much better and deep.
Absolutely! No argument but the writer doesnt realize that this the first time since the final four year that we have 4 players averaging double figures.

Remarkable given we were second to last in 3 pt shooting and 210th overall in offense. You add average 3 pt shooting (180 nationally), vince and bones.. we are an offensive juggernaut!!!

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2
May 19, 2015
Absolutely! No argument but the writer doesnt realize that this the first time since the final four year that we have 4 players averaging double figures.

Remarkable given we were second to last in 3 pt shooting and 210th overall in offense. You add average 3 pt shooting (180 nationally), vince and bones.. we are an offensive juggernaut!!!
Other than making a very skewed statement that strikes a nerve from those that are knowledgeable of VCU's team stat's, the SI writers absolutely show they are shooting crap from their arse. Just chalk this up as a couple of writers that slipped in the back door with a notebook and convinced somebody at SI they could write a paragraph with a few references to sports. Vince is a beast on defense and will be one of the reasons during the season in which the sports nation will give VCU credit and recognition where it is long due! As to the SI writers, our offensive starting line-up will show that you can't believe everything you read. Besides, SI has no idea there is someone like you :D on Ramnation that can refute their statement with facts. ;)

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009

Much like most, I agree that the depth of the article is lacking but that is pretty much what you get from national writer. Now, I am not the bad guy nor will I change my statement in response to your original post. Your original post says that saying ME made up the majority of the offense was the stupidest statement. The facts show that that is a true statement. Now everything else and your disdain for the contents of the article have merit but that was not your post nor what I was respond to with my response. While conflation of items seems to be the norm today, it’s not a method sit by and quietly watch be used to twist my words ?