VCU Media Mentions

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009

irradiated_ram

Insider
Jan 23, 2013
Much like most, I agree that the depth of the article is lacking but that is pretty much what you get from national writer. Now, I am not the bad guy nor will I change my statement in response to your original post. Your original post says that saying ME made up the majority of the offense was the stupidest statement. The facts show that that is a true statement. Now everything else and your disdain for the contents of the article have merit but that was not your post nor what I was respond to with my response. While conflation of items seems to be the norm today, it’s not a method sit by and quietly watch be used to twist my words ?
Led the team in points does not mean he "was basically the Rams’ entire offense last year."

ME averaged 13.6 PPG last season; 3 other players averaged at least 10 PPG last season.

Reactions: JDPolio
Feb 14, 2011
Led the team in points does not mean he "was basically the Rams’ entire offense last year."

ME averaged 13.6 PPG last season; 3 other players averaged at least 10 PPG last season.
13.6 PPG is nice for a starting PG but I'll trade some of those points for assists. I didn't look it up but I believe Mr. Evans was averaging around 2.5 per game last season. I think we'll see that number change quite a bit this season.

Reactions: RAM7889 and Dabrie

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

11. Marcus Evans, 6-2, VCU: Evans got hurt in the A-10 tournament and wasn’t 100 percent in the first-round game against UCF. Had he been then the Rams may not have been out. Evans will battle with multiple Davidson players for A-10 player of the year.

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
Couple that with his second statement "another threat (possibly Vince William's needs to emerge".
). Look at my link ...we had 3 other returning players average double figures: IV, DJ and MSS...and he says Vince Williams needs to emerge as the next scoring threat?

Wasnt DJ voted 3rd team pre-season all a10. MSS is in some all A10 teams and is ranked in the top 100 top players in the country in some polls. Yes, Vince needs to emerge but to discount the rest of the players is stupid. The writer didn't do any research.
true but Williams does need to become more of an offensive threat. last years scoring levels wont do this season.

Jan 17, 2010
Feb 14, 2011
Didn't want to bump the Texas thread but this is much bigger than any game score.

University of Texas redshirt sophomore Andrew Jones played in the Longhorns’ season opener Tuesday night Northern Colorado, and had a career night, two years after being diagnosed with leukemia. Jones wrapped up his cancer treatments in September, according to the Associated Press, and scored a career-high 20 points in 29 minutes, leading his team to a 69-45 victory.

Jones’ previous career-best game came nearly two years ago against VCU, when he scored 19 points. At the time, the then-freshman was leading Texas with 15.3 points per game and shooting 43.2 percent from behind the arc. But about a month after that game, in January 2018, he was diagnosed with leukemia. Jones underwent eight months of chemotherapy at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and returned to the court in November of that year for two brief appearances while still undergoing treatment.

Jones entered the game at the 13:50 mark Tuesday night and didn’t look back; his performance included making 4-of-5 made 3-point attempts in the second half.

"I'm happy for Andrew,'' Texas head coach Shaka Smart said, according to to the AP. "I'm happy for his family. Sometimes in life, when you are dealt a tough hand, it's really about how you respond. He was the best offensive player on the floor. He played with great energy. He played with an aggressive, confident and loose mindset.''
Jones was at a loss for words after the game: “I can’t even explain the feeling,” he said.

May 19, 2015
Didn't want to bump the Texas thread but this is much bigger than any game score.

University of Texas redshirt sophomore Andrew Jones played in the Longhorns’ season opener Tuesday night Northern Colorado, and had a career night, two years after being diagnosed with leukemia. Jones wrapped up his cancer treatments in September, according to the Associated Press, and scored a career-high 20 points in 29 minutes, leading his team to a 69-45 victory.

Jones’ previous career-best game came nearly two years ago against VCU, when he scored 19 points. At the time, the then-freshman was leading Texas with 15.3 points per game and shooting 43.2 percent from behind the arc. But about a month after that game, in January 2018, he was diagnosed with leukemia. Jones underwent eight months of chemotherapy at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and returned to the court in November of that year for two brief appearances while still undergoing treatment.

Jones entered the game at the 13:50 mark Tuesday night and didn’t look back; his performance included making 4-of-5 made 3-point attempts in the second half.

Jones was at a loss for words after the game: “I can’t even explain the feeling,” he said.
Thank you for sharing! This is a good-feel story that, as you said, tops any game score discussion. Great news and best wishes for young Mr. Jones and his future basketball career now that he is back on the court!

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

Just a fantastic story. Kid got just about the worst possible deal life can dish out and overcame it. Much respect for him.