VCU Media Mentions

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Didn't want to bump the Texas thread but this is much bigger than any game score.

University of Texas redshirt sophomore Andrew Jones played in the Longhorns’ season opener Tuesday night Northern Colorado, and had a career night, two years after being diagnosed with leukemia. Jones wrapped up his cancer treatments in September, according to the Associated Press, and scored a career-high 20 points in 29 minutes, leading his team to a 69-45 victory.

Jones’ previous career-best game came nearly two years ago against VCU, when he scored 19 points. At the time, the then-freshman was leading Texas with 15.3 points per game and shooting 43.2 percent from behind the arc. But about a month after that game, in January 2018, he was diagnosed with leukemia. Jones underwent eight months of chemotherapy at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and returned to the court in November of that year for two brief appearances while still undergoing treatment.

Jones entered the game at the 13:50 mark Tuesday night and didn’t look back; his performance included making 4-of-5 made 3-point attempts in the second half.

Jones was at a loss for words after the game: “I can’t even explain the feeling,” he said.
This is fantastic news, thanks for sharing it. I figured even if he went into remission his playing days could very well be over. I'm glad I was wrong!

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Maryland, Louisville lead combined men's and women's college hoops ranks

17 -- VCU
Bracketology seeds: No. 5 (men), No. 13 (women)
Men: Mike Rhoades' rotation is loaded with seniors, including Marcus Evans, Issac Vann, De'Riante Jenkins and Mike'L Simms, all of whom return from last season's NCAA tournament team. The Rams are experienced, tough and especially accomplished on D. -- John Gasaway
Women: All nine rotation players return from a season ago, so continuity won't be a problem for a team that shared the A-10 regular-season title and narrowly missed the NCAA tournament. Those returning players helped VCU rank third in field goal defense and fifth in scoring defense last season. -- Graham Hays

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Bilas also picked Davidson higher than VCU in his 1-68 rankings. He has Davidson at #15 and VCU at #17. I guess his North Carolina roots got the best of him. No way would I have Davidson ranked that high.

Reactions: MobileMunchies

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bilas also picked Davidson higher than VCU in his 1-68 rankings. He has Davidson at #15 and VCU at #17. I guess his North Carolina roots got the best of him. No way would I have Davidson ranked that high.

Yeah, how'd that work out for him thusfar?

RamCrazy

Top Member
Insider
Mar 13, 2011
CBSSports.com 25 and 1

--2-0
17team logo
VCU
Marcus Evans scored 13 points in Friday's win over North Texas. The Rams won despite shooting just 37.0% from the field.12-0

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

Dont tell anyone but I gave jay some of my private stash before he wrote tbis.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009

Sometimes I think Bilas, himself, doesn't passes the eye test

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/mark-berman-s-top-basketball-ballot/article_3d3eef72-0419-11ea-aaeb-7b6618a920f7.html

20. VCU (2-0) stays here after beating St. Francis (Pa.) and North Texas. Next: a huge game Wednesday against LSU.
I wonder why it is that VCU is the ONLY team to stay where they are on his ballot after winning 2 games? Every other single team on his list moved up on the board after winning at least one game (the lone exception was LSU with just a single win at #21).